controlling an ipad with a launchpad....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
miercoles

controlling an ipad with a launchpad....

Post by miercoles » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:09 am

is it possible to control an ipad with a launchpad without having a computer involved? ...just those two.

I've tried to search this, but cannot come up with anything.

I'd love to have the pads plus the separate touch screen. Please let me know if anybody has any experience with this!

LoopStationZebra

Re: controlling an ipad with a launchpad....

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:20 am

Yes and no.

The LP is just like any other MIDI controller. Here's a good article at createdigitalmusic that gets into some details and provides links:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/11/n ... launchpad/

You could, in theory, use the LP to control an iPad app - providing that you could set the CCs or MIDI note assignments within that app (many devs are finally starting to add mapping features). The LP assignments are all set in stone. You can't modify them, so all assignments need to be handled on the app side.

The problem is that the LP won't work just plugged into the iPad. The power requirements are too steep. You'll need to go through something like the unreleased iConnectMIDI box, or the iODock from Alesis.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

miercoles

Post by miercoles » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:21 am

Hey Zebra - thanks for the response. I wasn't aware of that. Somewhat disappointing, but it seems like it could be worked around if somebody took the time for it! It might be what pushes me into getting an mpk mini, but I'd rather use my launchpad.

It will be interesting to see what midi controllers are spawned from ipad's musical apps.

MonsieurBon

Post by MonsieurBon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:51 pm

If power is the issue, try a powered hub.

I'll try my LP with my iPad and a powered hub and see if it works.