Is this a bug? MIDI CC to Clip "Transpose" problems

digid

Is this a bug? MIDI CC to Clip "Transpose" problems

Post by digid » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:28 pm

I have assigned an external MIDI Controller (CC #40) to the "Transpose" parameter of a Clip. This Clip resides on track 1, and I am using Session view.

However, it is *only* possible to modulate/control the Transpose parameter when the Clip is visible (i.e. when I can see its parameters, waveform etc.).

That is, if I say, click on another track so that the Clip info is no longer visible, the Clip will no longer react to the incoming MIDI CC #40.

I guess this is a bug? Because it makes no sense that the Clip has to be visible all the time for its parameters to be modulated.

I am using the 8.2.2b5 beta.
Listen to my lovely electroacoustics on Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/digidada

Amaury

Re: Is this a bug? MIDI CC to Clip "Transpose" problems

Post by Amaury » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi,

Mappings in the clip detail view are global to all clips, and act on the selected clip.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

digid

Post by digid » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:46 pm

I see.

That's a pretty poor solution, I think, at least for what I want to do. Is this a choice made by design, or because it's too complicated to make it possible to modulate clip paramters individually?

Imagine the possibilities ...
Listen to my lovely electroacoustics on Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/digidada

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:57 pm

It was s design decision, back in the day. It has some advantages, but obviously not for your case.

Kind regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team