Prime Loops are amazings

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LeifonMars

Re: Prime Loops are amazings

Post by LeifonMars » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:13 am

M-bition wrote: You should not call yourself a full-fledged producer or musician if you use someone elses creative work more then lets say 10-15%..
Do you measure it in the relation of amount of loops or the length?
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

M-bition

Post by M-bition » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:47 am

amount

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:01 am

^ So DJ Shadow's Endtroducing (100% samples?) wasn't creative then as all he did was 'button push'? Pur-lease....

M-bition

Post by M-bition » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:08 am

no, he was creative
Read between the lines and you'll get my point.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:27 am

Not sure I will get your point, to be honest, even reading between the lines.

My point is reducing perceived creativity to arguments about percentages (or the dreadful Mona Lisa analogy somebody posted before) is flawed. But hey, differences of opinions are fine.

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:35 am

"gay", "fag", "bitch" - very creative...

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:26 pm

jamief wrote:Andy Warhol. One of the biggest visual samplers in the art World. Er cough cough !

warhol did his own samples and havent bought them from somebody else..

come on lamers. you really cant sell the use of prerecorded loops as an creative act..

its a croach for your missing skills and you know that
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:54 am

I've just added a few loops to the tune I was working on as to be considered a "lamer" by 3pain and his tekno mates would be an honor.

jamief

Post by jamief » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:26 am

3phase wrote:
jamief wrote:Andy Warhol. One of the biggest visual samplers in the art World. Er cough cough !

come on lamers. you really cant sell the use of prerecorded loops as an creative act..

Er the orb, daft punk , the prodigy , SL 2, DJ sneak, Armand van helden, KLF, Ice T, PUBLIC ENEMY ( FEAR of BLACK PLANET) - a totally original work made up of 90% of samples ( look up the bomb squad and how that albulm was produced) Beastie Boys , Run DMC and :D the list goes on and on. Yes i agree they 8O have no skills
Last edited by jamief on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

jamief

Post by jamief » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:27 am

M-bition wrote:Make your own loops, be creative. Give the loopmakers the credit, dont take credit for it. You should not call yourself a full-fledged producer or musician if you use someone elses creative work more then lets say 10-15%. Because if its the music that counts at the end then be willing to say; Hey, I just push the buttons, glad you like it but I wasn't that creative, someone else did the most creative work for me.

yes in your world. :) and there is a lot more to producing succesfull and engaging music for people to enjoy than pushing buttons.
Anyone else saying these are the rules and this is the correct way to make music is just pompass arty nonense - dance music came directly from sampling other peoples music and taking the bits you liked best and making extended mixes from them back in the early 80's. So basically drug fuelled reverllers could get locked into the groove. look up Tony Humphries.

dance music is working a class grass routes expression and not the preserve of some middle class elite to debate over after brushing the excess caviar off their laps and waiting for the parents to drop another grand in the bank for you.
People use to make and still do make entire tracks from sampling other peoples music simply because they dont have the skills, time and economic means to make it happen any other way. Saying your skills are not upto my standard is just another form of snobbery. F*ck it ive gone all intellectuall again and to be honest its not the best idea for me to do so.
:o

Anyway gotta go.
Last edited by jamief on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamief

Post by jamief » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:33 am

3phase wrote:

Thats a contradiction how can he do his own samples ? Its still just the same magpieing.
Warhol just copied and borrowed and reinterperated other s work and came up with something new.
Just like Japan did with Car industry watch witness sample /borrow from and come up with something new but underpinned by the original idea.

happens all the time - all over the world - in every area of human acheievemnt - its called evoloution.

Stay stuck if you want.

Sorry about the bad spelling
:)

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:04 am

If someone said to me. If you make me this music (for soundtrack, theatre, whatever), it has to sound like a live funk band.... you can have 400 quid if you do it by next wednesday.... and there will be more work. There is simply no way I am going to go on a cratedigging quest in search of juicy 70 breaks. Its credit card... content dvd, make tracks, send invoice. I used to think that loop packages were for dulleyed drones, and then people started saying stuff like .... "this bit will sound like 70s disco". There was no understanding of the modernist ambitions implicit in my post dubstep polyrhythmic microbreaks. :wink:

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:07 am

3phase, are you suggesting Warhol STOLE Campbells soup cans?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:54 pm

jamief wrote:
3phase wrote:

Er the orb, daft punk , the prodigy , SL 2, DJ sneak, Armand van helden, KLF, Ice T, PUBLIC ENEMY ( FEAR of BLACK PLANET) - a totally original work made up of 90% of samples ( look up the bomb squad and how that albulm was produced) Beastie Boys , Run DMC and :D the list goes on and on. Yes i agree they 8O have no skills
theese guys bought sample cd´s with premade genre specivic loops?

are you sure?

you lamers allways have the same excuses..prodidgy did it..so its ok...

but you forget that they got sewed a few times and had to pay for the illegal sample use...
same probably applies to the other too..as soon you have recognizable samples in a comercial succesfull track you dont have to wait for long since the lawyers of the sampled publisher knock on your door..

only reason people get thru with this is that they are either creativ enough with the material so that nobody realizes it... or they are just not sucssesfull enough to get sewed..

That for the part of sampling other peoples records..

using premade sample loop cd´s is legal of cause.. you payed for them to use them in production..

but its considred lame to do so.. theese libs are for jingel makers ..you can buy cd´s with complete royality free music ready made in all styles...why you guys dont get them..safes even more work
Last edited by 3phase on Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:02 pm

jimmynitcher wrote:3phase, are you suggesting Warhol STOLE Campbells soup cans?

no..i am just suggesting that you defenders of ready made loops are lamers..

warhol was an artist..please dont compare with him..

however.. factical he has stolen the campbells logo. but havent really sampled it when you make a dot graphics out of it in the times before graphic computing you actually do a repaint job..so he actually performed resynthesis by hand..

and that is a part within sounddesign where the laws against sampling dont really catch..

that is also the area where creative sample use is out of the question because you reach the level of resynthesis allready..

but come on guys.. you are not into creativity.. dont fool yourself.. its a game for you and you toy around for instant gratification and nobody else is taking your productions serious..of cause not.. they lack originality.-

you have to go a bit further than using instant loop libarys to get recocgnized for your musical work.

thats pretty obvious..isnt it?