Long loading times with Ableton 8 (85MB events.txt !!)

golemus2

Long loading times with Ableton 8 (85MB events.txt !!)

Post by golemus2 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:24 am

Is it only me or has the loading time (and unloading time) of projects increased dramatically in Live 8...? I have the feeling it takes sometimes 2 or even times longer to load a project in Live 8 than what it was in Live 7. I do use a lot of plugins and usually Live process takes abt.. 1GB of RAM when project loaded. Even that there is a lot to load I have the feeling that it was much more efficient and faster (and also loading the next project when you have one open) than in Live 8. I have 8.2.1. and still the same. Anybody else with the same impression?

Do you know what could be the cause of this? Is it just that the architecture of Live 8 is unefficient? (and maybe will be repaired in Live 9 with more streamlined and efficient architecture). I suppose the main target audience does not use heaps of plugins and tracks (do tracks with other DAWs and play them live with Live) so maybe it has been of secondary importance to keep the program optimized for such use?

Any news on next major update? To me it seems that the 8.x.y updates haven't really changed the largest problems of Live (stability and efficiency and especially the out of memory bug).
Last edited by golemus2 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eliko

Re: Long loading times with Ableton 8

Post by eliko » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:52 am

i'll be happy to hear what's going on as well...

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:04 pm

It used to take ages for me too. 8.2.2b1 had a fix to a bug that made live rescan the plugin folder on every start. Since I got the update it starts around 5x as fast.

golemus2

Post by golemus2 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:03 am

Now I used resource monitor to try to trace the reason why projects load so slow. I noticed that every time I open a project, there is a lot of disk activity that is associated to two files: the pagefile and c:\users\name\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live Reports\Temp\Live_run_2011_03_22__06_55_05_Live8.2.1\events.txt

It is Win7-64, Core2Duo laptop, Intel GM45 chipset, 3GB RAM.

First of all, what is Live Reports folder and what is events.txt. The events.txt becomes from 0KB to 85MB every time I open a project, could this be the source of the slowing down problem? It seems logical if it loggs that amount of information.

And the pagefile, it does not make sense, Win7 takes about 1GB so there should be 2GB available for Live. So why does so much paging activity happen?

Do you think the problems would be solved if I swith one SO-DIMM to 4GB so that total RAM would be 6GB? Or is the source of the problem events.txt?

I have a lot of VST plugins in the project, could that cause excessive logging to events.txt?

golemus2

Re: Long loading times with Ableton 8 (85MB events.txt !!)

Post by golemus2 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:25 pm

OK, I upgraded my machine, now 6GB of RAM, but no use, now I noticed that the events.txt is heavily fragmented, in abt. 700 pieces (looked with defraggler). So I really suspect that this must be the reason of the slowdown.

Any suggestions for a solution? Why does Ableton Live construct a 85MB events.txt log in 700 fragments every time I open a project?

cids

Post by cids » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:26 pm

This shouldn't be posted in the Beta forum...
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

golemus2

Post by golemus2 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:28 pm

golemus2 wrote:OK, I upgraded my machine, now 6GB of RAM, but no use, now I noticed that the events.txt is heavily fragmented, in abt. 700 pieces (looked with defraggler). So I really suspect that this must be the reason of the slowdown.

Any suggestions for a solution? Why does Ableton Live construct a 85MB events.txt log in 700 fragments every time I open a project?
I mean of course the file gets fragmented if the harddisk is fragmented, maybe Live could estimate log size in advance and reserve so long space from harddisk so that fragmentation is less probable?

Anyway, could somebody tell me that what is the purpose of this log, is it normal that it is constructed every time and what is Live Reports folder..?

cids

Post by cids » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:42 pm

You'd better repost this in the "Users' Help Exchange" forum...
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

golemus2

Post by golemus2 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:32 pm

cids wrote:You'd better repost this in the "Users' Help Exchange" forum...
Could some moderator move this thread there? I think it is better than that I make another thread :)