Film Scoring/Game Music with Ableton Live 8

Share your tracks with other users.
justin.marcellus

Film Scoring/Game Music with Ableton Live 8

Post by justin.marcellus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Hey all,

I'm not entirely sure how many Ableton artists are professional composers for film/TV/games, but nonetheless, here are tracks of mine. You can also see these tracks on my website, but Soundcloud has them broken down into genres.

http://snd.sc/dWMmAv

www.justinmarcellus.com

Enjoy. Comments welcome of course. Look forward to possibly meeting other composers out there.

Best,

J

DangerousDave

Re: Film Scoring/Game Music with Ableton Live 8

Post by DangerousDave » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:38 pm

Excellent music, nice melodies, and your percussion is badass. Glad to hear some different stuff on here.

Cheers
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.

justin.marcellus

Post by justin.marcellus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:57 pm

Thanks Dave. I'm glad you enjoyed the tunes.

The Landwhale

Post by The Landwhale » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:16 pm

Superb tracks! Started following you on soundcloud.

Its great to hear from someone using ableton for scoring film, do you use Live as your main DAW?
I really want to get into this field, I just got a small gig to score a local indie short, nothing huge but I'm excited. I'm a bit torn between using Live for the main daw or just sound design and writing.
I'm going to start working on it this week, would love to chat a bit through email or pm.

Some of my work is on Soundcloud here.

soundcloud.com/thelandwhale

justin.marcellus

Post by justin.marcellus » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:29 pm

Hey There,

Sorry for the late reply. The main DAW's I use are Live and Logic Pro 9. I'd use Live more lately if Ableton would hurry up and get on the 64-bit band wagon. A lot of orchestral samples can take up to 1GB per patch, and with a 4GB limit, it doesn't matter how fast your computer is. So, as of late, I mainly keep Live as a means of working out percussion parts, as it's just a pain to work with large orchestral arrangements in a 32-bit environment.

Live is great for sketching of course. As I said, I use it to get a lot of percussion parts down simply because I love the ease of it in Live. MIDI editing is a lot more streamlined such as drawing CC lanes, etc, etc. Not that Logic isn't, but Live is just faster workflow wise for me.

Anyone can feel free to email me if they wish. justin.marcellus@me.com :)

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:43 pm

Following! Nice stuff indeed... :)

The Landwhale

Post by The Landwhale » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:57 pm

justin.marcellus wrote:Hey There,

Sorry for the late reply. The main DAW's I use are Live and Logic Pro 9. I'd use Live more lately if Ableton would hurry up and get on the 64-bit band wagon. A lot of orchestral samples can take up to 1GB per patch, and with a 4GB limit, it doesn't matter how fast your computer is. So, as of late, I mainly keep Live as a means of working out percussion parts, as it's just a pain to work with large orchestral arrangements in a 32-bit environment.

Live is great for sketching of course. As I said, I use it to get a lot of percussion parts down simply because I love the ease of it in Live. MIDI editing is a lot more streamlined such as drawing CC lanes, etc, etc. Not that Logic isn't, but Live is just faster workflow wise for me.

Anyone can feel free to email me if they wish. justin.marcellus@me.com :)
Thanks for replying. I've been looking at the same route basically, I prefer Live but it seems like getting into heavy plugins and libraries is going to be better handled by Logic, at least for now.
I composed the first piece for the short yesterday using solely GarageBand for iPad. So far, it's a really fun way to work and I'll just bring the project directly into Logic to finish it later. For this particular project I am probably going to use this workflow, sketch in GB on iPad, then finish in Logic, as the writer has asked for mostly minimal, subdued pieces.

I'll shoot you an email soon, thanks!

allanfeliciano

Post by allanfeliciano » Thu May 02, 2013 11:29 am

I'm a composer and most of my work are mainly television commercials. Though I do the occasional movie score :-)

I'm really liking the ableton workflow... Especially the session view.

I've been trying to view a video file while playing around with my APC in the session view, but the program just won't let me.... When I start recording from session to arrange, the video just disappears....

Same thing happens when I score to a voice over track.

Is it possible to score videos in the session view, or are we limited to the arrange view