alesis airfx

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
doctah x

alesis airfx

Post by doctah x » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:13 pm

anyone used one? what did u think? anything simular on the market now(fx trggered by beam),,,why did alesis discontinue them?,,,thanx in advance
mek dub not war

littlepig

Re: alesis airfx

Post by littlepig » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:12 pm

I had an Alesis keyboard that had an xyz control which I believe was similar. You waved your hand over the dome and control up to 3 parameters simultaneously.

The problem was it was a little difficult to set up and control because as you moved your hand above it it would be changing the values of z (the distance above the dome) as well as x or y. So if you were trying to us midi auto recognise the software would get confused because two values were changing simutaneously.

Roland have a beam controller in some of their products. I have never tried any of then though...

mbenigni

Re: alesis airfx

Post by mbenigni » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:57 pm

Tons of fun for the money. I wish I'd never sold mine, what was I thinking?

It's not very programmable, and it's relatively imprecise in execution, but you're sure to find a preset or two that make you grin. I had one in the effects loop of my guitar amp for a while and it was fun for the occasional stunt guitar sorta thing - sounds no one would ever see coming.

It would have been a total win if Alesis had exposed the actual control signals by way of a MIDI out, vs. audio only, so you could use it with other gear (e.g. Ableton and VST plugs.) But then they'd never have been able to sell the AirSynth or whatever they called it. And MIDI implementation would have impacted cost considerably.

To best sum up my review: you've got me thinking about hitting eBay to find another one! :)