Who ever had to revert a timemachine backup ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MaestroGeek

Re: Who ever had to revert a timemachine backup ?

Post by MaestroGeek » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:48 pm

Rave wrote:I dont trust time machine. I prefer to clone the drive as u can boot from it and test the integrity
What do you use for that? On PC, I have a pretty reliable program for that (called ShadowProtect), I just haven't found on Mac side yet. That's a pretty significant feature missing in TM indeed. My TM backups from the last couple of months apparently got corrupted for some reason so when I had to recover, I had to travel back in time a bit more than I would've initially preferred. That hassle could have been avoided had TM checked the integrity of those 'corrupt' backups (I did suspect something was up since each weekly backup was taking up rather large amount of space so thankfully I saved my projects onto another device). One more thing to add to my wish list.
Apple Logic Pro 9; SONAR X1 Producer; Live 8.2.1; Max/MSP 5.1.7; SFP 5
OS X 10.6.7; Windows 7 x64
Apogee Duet; PowerPulsar+PulsarPlus+PulsarSRB+A16 Ultra; DIGIMAX FS; MTP AV USB
Core2 Q9300+DP35DP+4GB PC6400 DDR2 DIMM+GeForce 8600 GT

Dalski

Post by Dalski » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:53 pm

MaestroGeek wrote:
Rave wrote:I dont trust time machine. I prefer to clone the drive as u can boot from it and test the integrity
What do you use for that? On PC, I have a pretty reliable program for that (called ShadowProtect), I just haven't found on Mac side yet. That's a pretty significant feature missing in TM indeed. My TM backups from the last couple of months apparently got corrupted for some reason so when I had to recover, I had to travel back in time a bit more than I would've initially preferred. That hassle could have been avoided had TM checked the integrity of those 'corrupt' backups (I did suspect something was up since each weekly backup was taking up rather large amount of space so thankfully I saved my projects onto another device). One more thing to add to my wish list.
For cloning I recommend SuperDuper. An alternative is Carbon Copy Cloner but i've never used that.

To verify your TM backups alt/option click on the Time Machine icon in the menu bar and a 'verify backups' option will appear ;)

MaestroGeek

Post by MaestroGeek » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:56 pm

Dalski wrote:
MaestroGeek wrote:
For cloning I recommend SuperDuper. An alternative is Carbon Copy Cloner but i've never used that.

To verify your TM backups alt/option click on the Time Machine icon in the menu bar and a 'verify backups' option will appear ;)
Thanks a million! Ok, one thing checked off the wish list. :) Now, I'm going to have to check out this SuperDuper thingy.
Apple Logic Pro 9; SONAR X1 Producer; Live 8.2.1; Max/MSP 5.1.7; SFP 5
OS X 10.6.7; Windows 7 x64
Apogee Duet; PowerPulsar+PulsarPlus+PulsarSRB+A16 Ultra; DIGIMAX FS; MTP AV USB
Core2 Q9300+DP35DP+4GB PC6400 DDR2 DIMM+GeForce 8600 GT

Dalski

Post by Dalski » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:05 pm

:) You're welcome

octopod

Post by octopod » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:53 pm

I use both SuperDuper and Time Machine. When your HD dies you can boot off the SuperDuper clone straight away if there's something you need. This is possibly being a little paranoid but it's not like it costs much to remember to plug the SD drive in when I'm done each evening.

If I was properly paranoid I'd have two SD drives and rotate them somewhere outside the house every week. That way even if the place burns down you've lost at most a week.

grimleyj

Post by grimleyj » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:25 pm

Yup, saved my ass on several occasions. Two mbpro hard drives died and time machine saved the day. I've also used it as a kind of source control for my music projects! I had screwed up a couple of Logic 8 projects and saved over the original working projects. The new projects wouldn't load in Logic but I was able to restore the previous working versions from TM in seconds. Thankfully I haven't had this problem in Logic 9 yet.
Only problem I have with TM is that it can't span multiple drives as far as I can tell. I have a 2TB TM drive but the stuff I want to backup is approaching that limit.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:33 pm

Have to say that while some things seem really primitive coming from widows 7 to a mac, some other things they seems to have got spot on.

Like this spaces tool too - do my email and forum stuff while doing a gig out of traktor :)
Nothing to see here - move along!

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:35 pm

I upgraded HDD in my Macbook. Had a TM backup on a Western digital Elements 1.5 TB external.
Removed my 150 gb HDD -Installed my new 500 gb . Transferred my entire system flawlessly to new drive.

Pretty quick too

Dalski

Post by Dalski » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:56 pm

Khazul wrote:Have to say that while some things seem really primitive coming from widows 7 to a mac, some other things they seems to have got spot on.

Like this spaces tool too - do my email and forum stuff while doing a gig out of traktor :)

If you miss your 'snap to' windows and taskbar window previews grab yourself Hyperdock for Mac. It's ace!

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:24 pm

Dalski wrote:
Khazul wrote:Have to say that while some things seem really primitive coming from widows 7 to a mac, some other things they seems to have got spot on.

If you miss your 'snap to' windows and taskbar window previews grab yourself Hyperdock for Mac. It's ace!
Nah its all the shell stuff and shell extensions I tend to miss. Just think the explorer is way way more advanced than the finder. TBH most of the menu options in the finder seem like stuff I rarely ever use.

Oh yeh - and zoom/unzoom via double click on title bar - ugh - I really hate the lack of that.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:24 pm

double post - was safari's fault honest!

steko

Post by steko » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:26 pm

octopod wrote:I use both SuperDuper and Time Machine. When your HD dies you can boot off the SuperDuper clone straight away if there's something you need. This is possibly being a little paranoid ...
Not at all. Only one backup = no backup!

http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/Home.html

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4116 !!!

I do rotating backups to different externals with Carbon Copy Cloner (= the same like SuperDuper!, but donationware). With CCC I get a bootable & transparent backup.
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:50 pm

Same here - using CCC and TM.