Singer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
savis

Singer

Post by savis » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:42 am

I am trained classical singer. I perform well during rehearsals but blow-up during the main stage performances & auditions. My trainer and team still feel that I have the potential but I lack confidence and am unable to overcome the stage fear. Any experiences of overcoming stage fear.

Khazul

Re: Singer

Post by Khazul » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:45 am

drugs and booze and/or a mouse hat
Nothing to see here - move along!

admiralsnackbar

Post by admiralsnackbar » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:49 am

savis wrote:I am trained classical singer. I perform well during rehearsals but blow-up during the main stage performances & auditions. My trainer and team still feel that I have the potential but I lack confidence and am unable to overcome the stage fear. Any experiences of overcoming stage fear.
Besides being comfortable with the material and well-practiced, just performing over and over was the best solution for me. You'll probably always get butterflies, but making performances less precious by having more and more of them really helps. Less healthy advice is to have a drink or two before going on -- and not miracle fruit juice from the açai berry.

savis

Post by savis » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:57 pm

LOL… I am performing this Sunday and am keeping my fingers crossed to give my best shot. I am not comfortable having any drinks but I have meditated and visualized having a successful show. Will update about my performance later.

Moody

Post by Moody » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:39 pm

Alter persona, create a look and give it a feel. Allow your art to be expressed through the medium. When you are done, shed it, leave the stage and whatever happened behind.

Good Luck!
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:04 pm

Khazul wrote:drugs and booze and/or a mouse hat
+1.

That and just concentrate on, and get lost in enjoying/playing the music. If I love playing the music and think it sounds good I don't give a shit if the audience does. I play it for me, because I must, not for them, for their (dis?)approval. If they love it great, I enjoy it more! If they don't, they're listening to the wrong band. That way I worry less, enjoy it more, and probably play better as a result.

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:17 pm

Think of a crowd as one person that you're having a conversation with.

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:34 pm

perform with a choir first... being not alone helps a lot. make some solo parts here and there if possible.

singing is a bit like acting. you play someone who is full of confidence.
control your body, stand tight and look forward. breath deep. as long as you act like that, you will feel like that.
give yourself time. and be glad you´re talented!

and remember: making music is not dangerous. mistakes will happen and you should laugh about.
mistakes are often funny. enjoy it and the audience will do also.

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:32 pm

Laughing is what cured me of stage fright. You can make light of mistakes and the audience will follow suit.

No offence to classical music, but the whole scene, by and large with a few notable exceptions, forgets that music is supposed to be enjoyed by the players too, how often do you see members of an orchestra smiling? Stern frowns, furrowed brows... music... serious bizness!

It's not, Chill out.

S
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud