how do I warp video?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

how do I warp video?

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:09 am

Does anyone here know of a program that will allow you to edit/control video footage playback speed in a similar way to Ableton Lives use of warp markers on sound files.

I am new to video and would like to experiment with video with the same amount flexibility as I have with audio.

thanks

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:41 am

This may help:

-- http://www.wired.com/news/mp3/0,1285,53807,00.html

Good luck trying this with Windows!

-Alex

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:27 am

If you're on a Mac, check out the Prophet Video Sampler at www.vidvox.tv Its a MIDI-triggered Quicktime Sampler. You can assign different playback speeds to clips and scrub the video with modwheel etc. I don't know of anything with a scheme like Live's warp markers in video land but check out their demo. Lotsa Fun!

hope this helps
paddy
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

the8bitdeity

Post by the8bitdeity » Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:06 pm

jdg

Post by jdg » Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:30 pm

http://www.resolume.com (for dah peecee ppl)
www.google.com

best website ever

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:38 pm

Thanks for all the ideas and links. I have tried out a few of these products and read up on them but am afraid that they don't seem to be what I am looking for. Most of the apps mentioned are for realtime triggering of video which is not the aspect of Ableton Live that I am looking for. The thing that I want to do is warp the playback speed of a single piece of video like you can do to an audio loop with warp markers in live so that I can force the video playback to reach certain points at a particular time or beat. I have definately seen this effect on music video clips so I know it is possible but it may have been achieved by making calculation on the video speed rather than much easier method of using markers like live. This would be alright but I still can't even find a way to control the speed of a video clip over time so that I can apply the calculations to it.

thanks,
dan

arar

Post by arar » Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:54 am

..did Coldcut produce some software for this?

the8bitdeity

Post by the8bitdeity » Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:23 pm

Anonymous wrote:This would be alright but I still can't even find a way to control the speed of a video clip over time so that I can apply the calculations to it.
-You want to control the Frame Rate to change the playback speed. I know Isadora allows you to modulate the Frame Rate via an LFO or MIDI controller. I've seen some friends use frame rate control to create interesting time based effects. If you're looking for the Warp Markers in Live in a Video program though you're most likely SOL.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:36 pm

Check out: http://www.visualjockey.com/

It may or may not do what you want.

Cheers

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:29 pm

When is somebody goint to get it!!!!!!!

The man wants to do what we do with the audio in LIVE except he wants to do this with picture. I cant explain it any better than he did but I GET what he is saying.

Dude, Ii know nothing about film editing software, but I think there should be something out there that will do the job. I see the efect you talk of, and in a way I would imagine it would be very much like Live.

Good Luck

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:36 pm

When is somebody goint to get it!!!!!!!
Somebody has - YOU - the rest of us are mere and fallible mortals.

Do you have a life problem by any chance about people not doing it right for you?

LL

After effects

Post by LL » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:17 am

You can do it, if I've been able to understand your request, with the time remap command in Adobe Afx. Used in conjunction with frameblending, the result will be like the be like stretchin' out a sample.

But, - ecpensive software, and timeconsuming rendering. (at least on a G3)

chronic smurf

Post by chronic smurf » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:27 pm

try max/msp with the turntables......hum sorry this sound f*%$ed up.......hum you can control the video with turntables or other controls.....and all sorts of weird stuff check it out hum Ms pinky http://www.cycling74.com/products/mspinky.html

sunless

keyframing with after effects

Post by sunless » Thu Mar 27, 2003 2:06 pm

you can easily do this with adobe after effects.
keyframes would allow to set certain points of frame to match with a specific point in audio....as LL said, with time remap...

it's not a very complex feature and after effects is currently your best bet..it's been doing this for a long time...most of the other products out there are more for live video manipulation....after effects is the most fluid and most solid...lots of documentation on it.