MPK pad sensitivity issue: TOTALLY SOLVED.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
e440hz

MPK pad sensitivity issue: TOTALLY SOLVED.

Post by e440hz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:59 pm

okay i am saying this without trying,...... but look what i'm buying:

http://www.mpcstuff.com/akmpc500mpks1.html

cha----------ching!

timothyallan

Re: MPK pad sensitivity issue: TOTALLY SOLVED.

Post by timothyallan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:56 pm

It doesn't replace any of the electronics?

e440hz

Post by e440hz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:40 am

no need.

the problem was that akai produced pads in the mpd and mpk lines that were too far away from the sensors. When users applied things like tape, "pad corx", or other random things to bridge that gap all was well..... except for slight in consistencies in feel (and knowing that akai released a less than perfect product)

so now we can swap out those old pads for new ones. the feel should be much better since rubber will be hitting the sensor, not plastic (THATS WHAT SHE SAID).

ANYWAY....

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:51 am

ahh okay. I had one of the v2 releases with the updated pads so I never had that issue.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:53 am

timothyallan wrote:ahh okay. I had one of the v2 releases with the updated pads so I never had that issue.
recently gave one a whirl on display at a music store and was amazed at how different the pads felt to my apparent v1 :(

ansiaaa

Post by ansiaaa » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:27 am

there is another thread in this forum that explains how to fix the pads yourself.
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123862 (Akai MPD and MPK pad mods - tips for better pad sensitivity)

you don't need to spend 40 bucks!
you only put layers of tape under each pad and it's fixed.

I actually used a sheet of rubber of the right thickness that I cut into little squares, and it worked like a charm.

foxymethoxy

Post by foxymethoxy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:27 pm

fwiw i bought some replacement pads and the cork sensitivity upgrades from mpcstuff.com and it has improved the functionality of the pads a ton. I use them all of the time now for drum programming, whereas i use to hardly ever use them

e440hz

Post by e440hz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:36 pm

bunk business.

I totally have done them pad fixes before, they work but akai should send everyone replacements.

i am working on getting something different because its stupid to have a 49key controller with pads on it.. AND a padkontrol sitting right next to it.

thirtyhertz

Post by thirtyhertz » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:50 pm

I keep seeing posts all over the internet about the sensitivity of the AKAI pads (MPD MPK etc).I have seen other posts about adding tape to solve this issue.

Sorry if I'm missing something but have people played with the 'Pad Threshold level'?

I had concerns about the pad sensitivity when I first bought the MPD32. I tweaked the pad sensitivity levels- 16, and decreased the threshold to 2.

Now it works a treat, its very sensitive and a joy to use. Its very easy to use with Ableton and Reason. I have had no problems at all.

Just thought I'd raise this as I have not seen any posts relating to the threshold, I really don't think people need to take pads off and add bits of tape etc. My MPD32 is sensitive enough for me.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:38 pm

thirtyhertz wrote:I keep seeing posts all over the internet about the sensitivity of the AKAI pads (MPD MPK etc).I have seen other posts about adding tape to solve this issue.

Sorry if I'm missing something but have people played with the 'Pad Threshold level'?

I had concerns about the pad sensitivity when I first bought the MPD32. I tweaked the pad sensitivity levels- 16, and decreased the threshold to 2.

Now it works a treat, its very sensitive and a joy to use. Its very easy to use with Ableton and Reason. I have had no problems at all.

Just thought I'd raise this as I have not seen any posts relating to the threshold, I really don't think people need to take pads off and add bits of tape etc. My MPD32 is sensitive enough for me.
turning up the threshold doesn't help, otherwise people wouldn't be going to the trouble of opening up their units and putting electrical tape on the pads.

Jimbabwae

Post by Jimbabwae » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:01 pm

I have a MPD26 and have tried three different pad improvements:

1. Tape: Works but difficult to get it consistently sensitive for all pads
2. Paid for purpose made layers of plastic from ebay: Better that the tape but left variables in the pads again.
3. Thicks red pads with corks from MPC stuff: bang on!!! For me they work an absolute treat. They took a little bedding in, some oversensitivity on some pads initially, one or two were sticking.. but now, honestly.. they're ultra reliable, trigger when they should and respond appropriately to sensitivity applied.

Cheers

Jimmy

thirtyhertz

Post by thirtyhertz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:32 am

Ok

Personally I find it ok, I can strike it pretty gently and get the desired result.

Good luck with the mods

thirtyhertz

Post by thirtyhertz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:33 am

OH and sorry if I misunderstood but you turn the threshold down not up, maybe I'm just being pedantic.

e440hz

Post by e440hz » Mon May 02, 2011 5:39 pm

Jimbabwae wrote:I have a MPD26 and have tried three different pad improvements:

1. Tape: Works but difficult to get it consistently sensitive for all pads
2. Paid for purpose made layers of plastic from ebay: Better that the tape but left variables in the pads again.
3. Thicks red pads with corks from MPC stuff: bang on!!! For me they work an absolute treat. They took a little bedding in, some oversensitivity on some pads initially, one or two were sticking.. but now, honestly.. they're ultra reliable, trigger when they should and respond appropriately to sensitivity applied.

Cheers

Jimmy
so you got the new thick pads right?

i'm mad that akai made a v2. But i contacted them last month and they let me send my MPK49 in for "repair". They are going to switch out my crappy pads for the new pads. awesome. (shipping is HELLA expensive though. I kindof wish i would have just bought the mpcstuff upgrade)

condra

Post by condra » Mon May 02, 2011 6:05 pm

AKAI should have nailed it in the first place.

I have had, and sold an AKAI MPD32, and an AKAI MPK49. The pads on both devices completely sucked. They had to be hammered to get a moderate response. I also had an MPC 2000xl... the pads sucked.
My experience with older AKAI drum pads has been completely negative.

Then they come out with a 50 dollar pocket midi controller called LPD8, which features very nice pads, the best AKAI pads I've tried so far.
I'll never understand that company.