Cheapo DJ Controllers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
!STiTCH!

Re: Cheapo DJ Controllers

Post by !STiTCH! » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:15 pm

I to this day still use my crusty ol BCD2000. Cheap, and it has never failed me. Though, since I've converted to Live, it doesnt get used as it did when I was a Traktor nuthugger, it still works great for master/fx control. Using something like Darrio Maffia's V-DJM plug you can easily emulate a "standard" DJ mixer, and map the BCD to it. You asked for cheap, go the BCD2000 route. Or BCD3000 if you really want to use the wheels to scratch.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:24 pm

!STiTCH! wrote:I to this day still use my crusty ol BCD2000. Cheap, and it has never failed me. Though, since I've converted to Live, it doesnt get used as it did when I was a Traktor nuthugger, it still works great for master/fx control. Using something like Darrio Maffia's V-DJM plug you can easily emulate a "standard" DJ mixer, and map the BCD to it. You asked for cheap, go the BCD2000 route. Or BCD3000 if you really want to use the wheels to scratch.
I was round a mates with my laptop and no controllers the other week...He had a BCD2000 that he'd never used..... it literally took 2 minutes to set up.

Installs its own drivers, easy peasy and cheap too!

cypher

Post by cypher » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:04 pm

Its easy to sync Traktor and Ableton if youve got a xone 4D, which I presume is what bridge does for serato
Mac Pro, 8 core, 3.2ghz, 3TB internal HDs, 16gb RAM, Rollin' with Vinyl, Traktor Scratch Pro and coded vinyls, a Xone 4D and of course Ableton Live 5.2.2, and all music etc backed up regular !!!!!!!!! word. Also a max'd up to the limit Macbook Pro

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:54 am

cypher wrote:Its easy to sync Traktor and Ableton if youve got a xone 4D, which I presume is what bridge does for serato
Well that was random...

... and a very roundabout and expensive way to sync traktor and live - just use a virtual midi port - which exists already on the osx install of traktor and something like loop1be does the job on windows.

Bridge does a bit more than just provide a basic mmc restart and midi tick.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:02 am

Ya I have an old X-Session Pro. It looks(and feels) like it was made by Fisher Price. Like, my first DJ Mixer. But, before I knew what I was doing w/ Live I gigged w/ that thing. Looking back I must have looked like a complete idiot. Oh well, it was fun.
I'm diggin' my APC40 Lp steup.

ansiaaa

Post by ansiaaa » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:37 am

since you are just starting, I'd suggest to get yourself the software first.
you can controll pretty much everything with your computer keyboard as if it was a controller.

then if you see you are enjoying it, don't bother buying the cheap stuff and go with some good controller...

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:47 pm

not sure to understand, what's the difference between bcd2000 and bcd3000 ?
one of my mate got one of those, but yea the weel doesn't feel right, it's not working well so you have to press sync and can't do it manualy.

2be

Post by 2be » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:46 pm

My first controller was a Behringer BCD2000. And boy, did it suck. It doesn't get any more ugly and cheap than this.
Do yourself a favour and get a real quality controller. I'm perfectly satisfied with my Native Instruments Kontrol X1, together with a Xone 22 Mixer. I wouldn't really recommend the X1 if you don't plan to mix externally (which I prefer to mixing internally, a lot), it's not a good layout for that imo. The problem I have with these all-in-one controllers is their size and that they often look like toys.

BCD3000 is a BCD2000 with different colors and Mac support for the soundcard (which is just crap, don't even think to use it!).