8.2.2 bugfix for nested macros - please explain

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
arachnaut

8.2.2 bugfix for nested macros - please explain

Post by arachnaut » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:01 am

Would someone from Ableton please explain this bug fix in a little more detail or give an example:
Fixed a problem with nested Macro mappings when the range of a mapped ON/OFF switch, or of a selector switch (such as a filter type switch), is not at default values. In such a case, the right value would be displayed, but the wrong value would be used internally.

Note: with this fix, you will now hear what you see, although this may mean that previously saved Sets that contained the bug may sound different.

Amaury

Re: 8.2.2 bugfix for nested macros - please explain

Post by Amaury » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:52 am

Hi,

Well, there was something wrong when a macro was mapped to some specific parameters (lists and on/off buttons), and when this macro was itself macro mapped to a macro one level higher, using a custom range. In these cases, the GUI would show the right thing, but the sound you hear would not reflect the setting you see.

For example, put an Eq8 in a Rack, macro map the filter type for one of the bands. Make sure you hear what happens when turning the macro. Now group this Rack, and map a macro from the top level rack to the macro you used for the filter type, and invert the range. Turn this new macro. Although the filter type looks like it does the right thing, you should hear something different than previously.

Nobody ever reported this, but it's anyway very incorrect. So we fixed it, but the thing is people may have "used" the bug without noticing, therefore the note to warn that this bugfix may change the sound of a Rack.

Let me know if anything's unclear.

Kind regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:41 am

How did you even find that?

ansiaaa

Post by ansiaaa » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:48 am

I guess they are actually sticking to their promise and really trying hard to fix the bugs we hate some much!
sounds good to me.

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:35 pm

Thanks, Amaury, that's clear now.

ok.ultra

Post by ok.ultra » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:14 pm

I have a drum rack nested in a rack. When i try to map the top level macro to one of the controllers in the drum rack's simpler, I'm unable to. It sounds like to map top level macro controls to something inside a lower level macro, you need to map the macros together. Is there a way to get macro controllers to show for a drum rack so that I'm able to do this? Or is there another way? Any help hugely appreciated :mrgreen: