TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Anubis

Re: TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Post by Anubis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:53 pm

rabouille wrote:...we have a really cool new features coming with the next update for m4l devices (also working with Ableton standard plugins), so touchAble+M4L is going to be a very great couple...
Holy shishkabob! Now I gotta fork out for M4L.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:53 pm

TouchAble - Touch Me Now!

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:01 pm

What is the suggested way to transfer the scripts after upgrading live? Do you just need to move the touchablescipts 1 and 2 to your new installation? Or better to just install the touchable server again? (Not sure what other files might be lurking aabout...)

After 8.2.2 I just re-installed the server along with scripts.
Professional Shark Jumper.

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:10 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:What is the suggested way to transfer the scripts after upgrading live? Do you just need to move the touchablescipts 1 and 2 to your new installation? Or better to just install the touchable server again? (Not sure what other files might be lurking aabout...)

After 8.2.2 I just re-installed the server along with scripts.
you can reinstall the server, and use your newest live 8.2.2 directory.

For advanced users, you can copy and paste the scripts from previous live version to the newest one:
check our FAQ here: http://bit.ly/dJ7tjd

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:57 pm

Ok, that's basically wanted I wanted to confirm, that it was only those two folders that you need to move.

I thought I remeber that you used to have to have both touchablescript1 and touchablescript2 turned on in lives preferences. Now you only need to load the first one, but the second one just needs to sit in the folder?

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:19 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Ok, that's basically wanted I wanted to confirm, that it was only those two folders that you need to move.

I thought I remeber that you used to have to have both touchablescript1 and touchablescript2 turned on in lives preferences. Now you only need to load the first one, but the second one just needs to sit in the folder?
script2 is basically needed if you use a second ipad.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:45 pm

ok got it, thanks!

23kon

Post by 23kon » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:38 pm

Rabouille,

I'm about to purchase TouchAble tonight after research and consideration between it and Griid.
Actually, I might end up buying both. The thing that turns me on about TouchAble more is the split screen thing where you can do multiple things at the same time.

TouchAble means that I can chuck my two Launchpads onto eBay and use it to launch clips/scenes, control volume and sends when playing music live.

Today i've downloaded and (via camera connection & M-Audio UNO) been playing with MidiTouch.
MidiTouch HANDS DOWN kicks the ass of TouchOSC for being able to create your own templates. No nonsense with creating templates on the PC, Syncing and messing about translating and having to use PureData for connection.
It's PERFECTION being able to create templates on-the-fly on the iPad itself.
So my Novation Zero SLMkII and Novation Nocturn will also be getting shoved on eBay!

Is a Controller Editor something that TouchAble will be considering doing in the future as a new feature?
Being able to save individual pages with different controls on each (controlling certain multiple instrument parameters) means that I can save a page-per-song (even if those songs are all in the same live set). It means there's not a confusion of loads of other controls to worry about and confuse my head with, theres only the controls I need.

If this IS something you guys are considering doing then you might save me money!

As, at the moment, my ideal setup WOULD be having two ipads. One as a clip launcher but with access to many other parameters, keyboard, editing, instrument parameters etc - if i need them.
and another iPad with MidiTouch with multiple pages, one for each song within a live set with JUST the main tweakable controls I need.

Also, you mentioned "snapshots morphing"
Is this similar to what KapturePad does?
If it DOES then you're saving me having to integrate my iPhone running KapturePad into my setup :)

As someone mentioned previously in this thread, i'm another person that is pained by each of the different top iPad apps all using different connecting methods and programs running in the background. I know it's not you guys fault - I just wish Apple would realise how much they are restricting us musicians and producers and allow USB communication.

ctx

Post by ctx » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:14 am

Since touchable uses liveosc, can I send messages to liveosc with something else or will it interfere? What port is it on?

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:24 pm

23kon wrote:Rabouille,

I'm about to purchase TouchAble tonight after research and consideration between it and Griid.
Actually, I might end up buying both. The thing that turns me on about TouchAble more is the split screen thing where you can do multiple things at the same time.

TouchAble means that I can chuck my two Launchpads onto eBay and use it to launch clips/scenes, control volume and sends when playing music live.

Today i've downloaded and (via camera connection & M-Audio UNO) been playing with MidiTouch.
MidiTouch HANDS DOWN kicks the ass of TouchOSC for being able to create your own templates. No nonsense with creating templates on the PC, Syncing and messing about translating and having to use PureData for connection.
It's PERFECTION being able to create templates on-the-fly on the iPad itself.
So my Novation Zero SLMkII and Novation Nocturn will also be getting shoved on eBay!

Is a Controller Editor something that TouchAble will be considering doing in the future as a new feature?
Being able to save individual pages with different controls on each (controlling certain multiple instrument parameters) means that I can save a page-per-song (even if those songs are all in the same live set). It means there's not a confusion of loads of other controls to worry about and confuse my head with, theres only the controls I need.

If this IS something you guys are considering doing then you might save me money!

As, at the moment, my ideal setup WOULD be having two ipads. One as a clip launcher but with access to many other parameters, keyboard, editing, instrument parameters etc - if i need them.
and another iPad with MidiTouch with multiple pages, one for each song within a live set with JUST the main tweakable controls I need.

Also, you mentioned "snapshots morphing"
Is this similar to what KapturePad does?
If it DOES then you're saving me having to integrate my iPhone running KapturePad into my setup :)

As someone mentioned previously in this thread, i'm another person that is pained by each of the different top iPad apps all using different connecting methods and programs running in the background. I know it's not you guys fault - I just wish Apple would realise how much they are restricting us musicians and producers and allow USB communication.
Morphing feature with new XY pad works differently, we will upload a video very soon to show how it works..

kooperativ

Post by kooperativ » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:06 pm

A lot of the LiveOSC functions are still present and can be listened to on port 9013 and sent to on 9010 (TouchAbleScript1) and 9023 / 9020 (TouchAbleScript2)
However some of them are changed and a lot were added throughout the development process. You can check all the possible functions in LiveOSCCallbacks.py

look for these lines:
self.callbackManager.add(self.playClipCB, "/live/play/clip")

and then search e.g. for playClipCB to see the function.. most of them aren't commented though.
Right now you need to close the touchAble Server to be able to listen to port 9013 / 9023 so it's not useful if you want to use touchable at the same time.
If people are interested we can copy the received messages to another port to enable you to listen to them while running touchAble. Any thoughts / wishes on this?

@23kon

Definitely! We will add a module that enables you to add different types of controls on custom pages that either control parameters within Live or send plain MIDI / OSC to software of your choice. Configuration will be within the software - although i personally think an external editor ala TouchOSC has its advantages!
No ETA on this as of yet though - as we will focus on integrating a step sequencer and overhauling the mixer section next. Finally more than 4 sends & a few new features for studio use :)

23kon

Post by 23kon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:29 pm

kooperativ,

I was playing with TouchAble late into the night yesterday :)
You just made me smile when you said a step-sequencer is next on the list. That's one thing that is missing from an otherwise (almost) perfect package.

I'm going to have to disagree on the controller editor though :P
MidiTouch has it pinned down SO well with the in-app editor. No annoying synching needed like TouchOSC uses. Thats NOT good. If there was a way to sync really easily through the already established connection and without faffing around then ok, youd get my vote.

So with all these new additions, I don't need to go out an buy a second ipad then to use both MidiTouch and TouchAble? :)

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:37 pm

For those who want to check new final beta of TouchAble 1.2 update, come at Frankfurt Musik Messe, we don't have a booth but we will be there.
send us an email: press@touch-able.com, we'll try to find a moment to show you the beast :)

ctx

Post by ctx » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:23 am

kooperativ wrote:If people are interested we can copy the received messages to another port to enable you to listen to them while running touchAble. Any thoughts / wishes on this?
For me it's ok how it is, LiveOSC can be installed or I can mod this in myself, I just wanted to use it if it was already there.

My main interest was using Control or some similar app to make custom control layouts for instruments, so I am glad to hear that or something similar is coming to touchable eventually anyway. ;)

fcarroll

Post by fcarroll » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:55 am

rabouille wrote:For those who want to check new final beta of TouchAble 1.2 update, come at Frankfurt Musik Messe, we don't have a booth but we will be there.
send us an email: press@touch-able.com, we'll try to find a moment to show you the beast :)
Rabouille,

just wanted to share this with you guys,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYD1fVwhMw8
iMac, MacBook Pro, Ableton Live 8 Suite,Ableton PUSH Komplete 8, Logic Studio,Launchpad x 2, iPad (Lemur), M-Audio Keystudio, Akai MPD18, ...