Everyone else is 64 bit

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
anybody human

Everyone else is 64 bit

Post by anybody human » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:48 pm

Just saw on CDM http://createdigitalmusic.com/ that Machine (now w/ plugin support) and FL Studio are 64bit (for Mac & PC I think). Logic, Spectrasonics, Fabfilter, Native Instruments... who else am I forgetting?

Big Ableton supporter, own & use everything they make, daily (including the hoodie). However, just saying this because it's true: if Live 9 isn't 64bit (and a whole lot else) there will be a breakdown in trust (edit: exaggeration- some disappointment) between the company and the customers. The door will be blown off the hinges with competitors pouring in like a hot knife through butter.

That was a mixed metaphor but you get what I'm saying.

When you come out with something nowadays, you want to be ahead of the curve, not just catching up.

Edit 4/1/11: Am I overstating this? On a technical level, is there substantial potential performance enhancement? From what (little) I understand it helps with large sample libraries, and also many plugin makers and DAWs seem to be going in this direction.
Last edited by anybody human on Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Re: Everyone else is 64 bit

Post by H20nly » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:56 pm

FL is still only PC. They released a 64bit plugin wrapper none-the-less though.
they also give you 4 GB of RAM per VST 8O
try that on your mommas laptop.
Last edited by H20nly on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:56 pm

Have you considered e-mailing your suggestion to them?

I imagine they'd appreciate the heads up.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:03 pm

agent314 wrote:Have you considered e-mailing your suggestion to them?

I imagine they'd appreciate the heads up.
I have no doubt that the people at Ableton have been aware of this for quite a long time. it's like their job and stuff, not to mention they're music fiends.

or my sarcas-to-meter is completely messed up.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:05 pm

actually the folks at Ableton are so busy trying to figure out what the hell 3Phase is still on about that they have stopped working on software all together and started playing pin the tail on the web mod.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:15 pm

you forgot pro tools 9.. still 32 bit

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:19 pm

Kore 2 and Reaktor are still 32 as well. NI just updated lots of stuff to 64bit, but it's still bran new updates. I hardly see it as Ableton being behind the times at this moment. However, when Live 9 is released, I will make my judgments then.

0fps

Post by 0fps » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:27 pm

Its not necessary that a 64 bit version will sound or perform better than this one. There are lots of other more usefull i.m.o. features that they could add or work on instead of the engine's analysis.
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:47 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:Kore 2 and Reaktor are still 32 as well. NI just updated lots of stuff to 64bit, but it's still bran new updates. I hardly see it as Ableton being behind the times at this moment. However, when Live 9 is released, I will make my judgments then.
Fair point.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:58 pm

0fps wrote:Its not necessary that a 64 bit version will sound or perform better than this one. There are lots of other more usefull i.m.o. features that they could add or work on instead of the engine's analysis.
Definitely, I agree. Still, Live 9 will be their newest version for a couple of years, over which time everyone else will be getting more performance out of your computer. The reason I mention this is because, like a lot of important feature requests, you hear speculation that this can't even be done w/o a complete rewrite etc. I'm no software expert so I wouldn't know about that.

Btw Pro Tools will be the last to change because it's used in so many studios, where stability and old rocker dudes rule. A lot of them are still using PT7.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:27 am

All this 64 bit crap is getting on my nerves. Maybe you guys weren't around for the 16 to 32 bit transition. It will take another year or two before everybody has worked through all the kinks.

The big deal for 64 bit is memory addressing but I haven't seen any PCs loaded with TBs of RAM just yet 8)

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:40 am

doghouse wrote:All this 64 bit crap is getting on my nerves. Maybe you guys weren't around for the 16 to 32 bit transition. It will take another year or two before everybody has worked through all the kinks.

The big deal for 64 bit is memory addressing but I haven't seen any PCs loaded with TBs of RAM just yet 8)
the next round of macbookpro should be able to hold 16gb ram, should have been this time. That a decent amount of ram that would be great to utilize during live performances.
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

studiologic

Post by studiologic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:46 am

without a 64 bit upgrade/update... ableton will be kissing there east/west, kontakt, omnisphere, trillian or any large sample library user GOOD-BYE...

try loading a bass patch from trillian, piano from east/west, strings from east/west, horns/woodwinds from kontakt powered libraries, synth from omnisphere, etc...

if you look at fl studio 10... their first new feature in the advertisement is that 64 bit bridge... in the demo video... they used Kontakt to show that feature...

64 bit is now...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:51 am

studiologic wrote:without a 64 bit upgrade/update... ableton will be kissing there east/west, kontakt, omnisphere, trillian or any large sample library user GOOD-BYE...

try loading a bass patch from trillian, piano from east/west, strings from east/west, horns/woodwinds from kontakt powered libraries, synth from omnisphere, etc...

if you look at fl studio 10... their first new feature in the advertisement is that 64 bit bridge... in the demo video... they used Kontakt to show that feature...

64 bit is now...
because nobody currently uses east/west, kontakt, omnisphere, trillian or any large sample libraries with the current versions of Live.

people act like they can't make music on a computer without the latest evolution in software. we've been doing it for decades.

relax, everything will be fine.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

studiologic

Post by studiologic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:52 am

doghouse wrote:All this 64 bit crap is getting on my nerves. Maybe you guys weren't around for the 16 to 32 bit transition. It will take another year or two before everybody has worked through all the kinks.

you are right about PCs loaded with TBs of RAM... but there are some users that would prefer to have "access" to more than 3 GB of RAM...

one guitar patch in electri6y is .73 GB... most rock songs uses more than one guitar... you do the math...