AKAI MPD32 Drum pad question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cram2012

AKAI MPD32 Drum pad question

Post by cram2012 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:41 pm

I just bought the MPD32. I own the MPC 1000 and ultimately like the Akai brand. I immediately noticed the drum pads were not as dynamic, even after adjusting the sensitivity, threshold, ect. Aside from that the note options allow you to select "momentary" triggering, or "toggle." Is there a way to have it trigger the sample to play 1 time all the way through and then stop? w/o having to toggle the pad back off and then on? similar to MPC ability to select "one shot?"

I can adjust the release on my sample I am triggering which accomplishes this. but wanted to see if there was a setting on MPD to select.....

Overall what are other users impression of the MPD32 vs say Maschine or others?

cmreal04

Re: AKAI MPD32 Drum pad question

Post by cmreal04 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:14 am

cram2012 wrote:I just bought the MPD32. I own the MPC 1000 and ultimately like the Akai brand. I immediately noticed the drum pads were not as dynamic, even after adjusting the sensitivity, threshold, ect. Aside from that the note options allow you to select "momentary" triggering, or "toggle." Is there a way to have it trigger the sample to play 1 time all the way through and then stop? w/o having to toggle the pad back off and then on? similar to MPC ability to select "one shot?"

I can adjust the release on my sample I am triggering which accomplishes this. but wanted to see if there was a setting on MPD to select.....

Your not missing a setting, the pads suck!!! I just took mine back and got a pad kontrol and a nano kontrol instead. The pads on the kontrol and maschine seem to be almost identical, which are both the best offerings out there.

FYI pad kontrol also has a foot pedal jack.....must have for the looper plug.
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:42 am

cram2012 wrote:I just bought the MPD32. I own the MPC 1000 and ultimately like the Akai brand. I immediately noticed the drum pads were not as dynamic, even after adjusting the sensitivity, threshold, ect. Aside from that the note options allow you to select "momentary" triggering, or "toggle." Is there a way to have it trigger the sample to play 1 time all the way through and then stop? w/o having to toggle the pad back off and then on? similar to MPC ability to select "one shot?"

The MPD32 doesn't have it's own ADSR envelope.

I haven't bought this yet, but you may want to give this a try for extra sensitivity:

http://www.mpcstuff.com/akmpcmpdthfa2.html

Last edited by kb420 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Zeddy

Post by Zeddy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:43 am

I think you should definitely check these out:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Akai-MPD-Pad-Sensiti ... 563wt_1063

They are little rubber pieces that you stick under the pads and they were a pretty dramatic improvement for my MPD18.

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:59 am

Yeah that's a great idea, why doesn't everyone spend extra money to fix Akai's f'd up products, sounds like a great idea ! Just return it and buy something better, it won't be hard, Akai hasn't got it right since the mpd24, more features yeah, but the the pads hella worse.
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

cram2012

Post by cram2012 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:03 am

thanks for all the input....you guys are quick!

I purchased off Amazon, so I may return it. I like the design. Faders, knobs ect, but seems Akai did themselves a disservice on the pads. I may test drive a few others and see what has the best feel to it.

brunnberg

Post by brunnberg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:14 pm

I did like this guy in the video, works pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZViS288WH4

ansiaaa

Post by ansiaaa » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:03 pm

every controller Akai released lately have the same problem with the pads.
the fix shown in the vid works very well, I tried myself on my MPK and it was like day and night.
if you have a thin rubber sheet it's even better than using tape.

or if you want to spend some money, the upgraded pads from mpcstuff are awesome too