More cells in Impulse?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
thehuman

More cells in Impulse?

Post by thehuman » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:08 am

More cells in Impulse.

Although I know nothing about coding, I think it would probably be pretty simple to do, and 8 cells is just not enough. I know I can load up multiple Impulses, but c'mon now... who wants work arounds?

I'm not suggesting 80-something like battery or anything... Maybe just add another row of cells. 16 would suffice would most uses.

Multiple samples per cell and velocity scaling would also be nice, but the ability to load more than 8 samples is essential in my own humble opinion.

Thanks for reading.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:28 am

2nd, I always find myself wishing for at least a couple more cells.

eamoon

Post by eamoon » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:26 pm

yeah, it would be slick if impulse had a number-of-voices setting that automatically added/removed cells. more flexible mute groups would be nice, too. also, could I have a pony?

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:15 am

What would REALLY work is having the option to add as many cells as needed within an instance of Impulse. So maybe have a button that says "Add Cell" and it simply adds an extra cell.

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:25 am

eamoon wrote:yeah, it would be slick if impulse had a number-of-voices setting that automatically added/removed cells. more flexible mute groups would be nice, too. also, could I have a pony?
:lol: I think we posted at the same time.

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:55 am

Or, to save cells, have a dedicated hi-hat cell which can hold both closed and open hi-hat sounds and can switch between both with a MIDI message, like a sustain pedal message.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:10 pm

That would be a kludgey workaround IMO, I don't want to have to switch back and forth between note and sustain CC's while trying to program my HH's. Just my opinion though.

xl5

Re: More cells in Impulse?

Post by xl5 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:49 pm

thehuman wrote:More cells in Impulse.

Although I know nothing about coding, I think it would probably be pretty simple to do, and 8 cells is just not enough. I know I can load up multiple Impulses, but c'mon now... who wants work arounds?

I'm not suggesting 80-something like battery or anything... Maybe just add another row of cells. 16 would suffice would most uses.

Multiple samples per cell and velocity scaling would also be nice, but the ability to load more than 8 samples is essential in my own humble opinion.

Thanks for reading.
Not only do I second that but still can't understand why no one at Ableton thought it would be an ESSENTIAL feature update for version 5 ??? I totally agree with you, there's no need for an other "Battery like monster" BUT 8 cells is and was ridiculously and obviously not enough for any serious work. If the idea was to emulate the versatility of an old Yamaha RX15 it would have been a big success in 1984. I am not saying there's nothing I can do with Impulse in its present state but I certainly can't do what I would like to or need to do with a software drum machine. Now I dearly hope that the plan IS NOT to make new drum machine/sampler instrument that they intend to sell seperatly like Operator. All we need is an additional 8 sells. I hope someone will take the time to explain why it would have been such a big deal and why it couldn't be done for Live 5.

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:49 am

Hi xl5,
i complety agree that Impulse is a very basic thing. Unfortunately we had no time to enhance it for Live 5. Other topics, like PDC, mp3, Mackie Support and all the other details did eat up our capacities. I personally really hope we find the time to deliver the monster Impulse for Live 6. We also want to have it with more slots or with a scaleable size, and with more features for shaping the sound. No one here would tell you that this is meant to be the new standard for professional drum samplers...

We do enhance our instruments: Simpler now comes with seperate envelopes for pitch, amp, filter, a new glide mode and lots of more things. Also we improved the autofilter. This is not the end of the road.

Best, Robert Henke / Ableton

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:15 pm

Tarekith wrote:That would be a kludgey workaround IMO, I don't want to have to switch back and forth between note and sustain CC's while trying to program my HH's. Just my opinion though.
Well, a different method could be thought up, I'm sure. But I'm still perplexed as to why open and closed hi-hats should be treated as two different instruments, that's like separating the strings on a guitar...

xl5

Post by xl5 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:19 pm

Robert Henke wrote:Hi xl5,
i complety agree that Impulse is a very basic thing. Unfortunately we had no time to enhance it for Live 5. Other topics, like PDC, mp3, Mackie Support and all the other details did eat up our capacities. I personally really hope we find the time to deliver the monster Impulse for Live 6. We also want to have it with more slots or with a scaleable size, and with more features for shaping the sound. No one here would tell you that this is meant to be the new standard for professional drum samplers...

We do enhance our instruments: Simpler now comes with seperate envelopes for pitch, amp, filter, a new glide mode and lots of more things. Also we improved the autofilter. This is not the end of the road.

Best, Robert Henke / Ableton
Thank you Robert,
For taking the time to do this, I am certain I'm not the only one who greatly appreciate it. I guess we'll have to be patient and still tolerate Battery :(.
And you're right about one thing and it's that you keep improving your products and Ableton seem to have deliver the goods with Simpler. This thread is about features we would like to see implemented so that's what we do, BEG :).
I guess it just gets down to this : I thought it was so obvious that I wouldn't have to beg for it. After all, all we wanted was 8 more cells :(
Last edited by xl5 on Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:22 pm

mcconaghy wrote:
Tarekith wrote:That would be a kludgey workaround IMO, I don't want to have to switch back and forth between note and sustain CC's while trying to program my HH's. Just my opinion though.
Well, a different method could be thought up, I'm sure. But I'm still perplexed as to why open and closed hi-hats should be treated as two different instruments, that's like separating the strings on a guitar...
It's a convention in sample based drum machines that goes back years. You load in two different samples, you have two different pads / buttons / slots / cells whatever. Changing it now, when most drum products on the market follow this convention, would be like putting the brake on the right and the gas on the left (non-UK analogy here, sorry.) Yeah, it might work that way too, but everybody would have to re-learn their modus operendi.

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs