Another question about warping...

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
dropbeattalent

Another question about warping...

Post by dropbeattalent » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:15 pm

It's about warping, I have tried a lot of things to try to warp this one song on beat but I'm failing miserably.
The song is analyzed by ableton as 150bpm (it's an acapella), I'm trying to warp it to 130.
Whenever I mess with the transients it's either slow or speeds up at awkward moments.
I have tried warping to 130 every 2 bars and copy pasting, but then the audio track sets up some stupid fades at the end of each clip that I can't delete so I have to move it around...Also doesn't seem to land on the beat anyway.
Wondering if anyone had any tips / destroy my noobness or if I should just ruin the original song's rhythm and just chop everything up to make it land.

Sort of embarrassed to name the song I'm trying to rework. But if you really want to know I'll send a message >_>

Cezband

Re: Another question about warping...

Post by Cezband » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:52 pm

If you're sure that the original bpm is 130, then set Live to 130 bpm too, delete all the additional warp markers and then warp it to 130, and in theory that should mean it'll warp evenly across the whole thing.

If it still doesn't fit, just add in a warp marker in the silence before it gets noticeable (it's a vocal acapella, so it should be full of silent pauses) and adjust (this should stop any noticeable mid-sentence warping changes). Repeat as often as necessary, but don't go crazy adding the warp markers.

That's how I do it...the trick, for me, is to tweak the warp markers you've put down instead of adding additional markers when they're not actually necessary.

Cutting it up is another decent idea, not sure what the fades you're talking about are but that might be a seperate thing.

Good luck with it!
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

ansiaaa

Re: Another question about warping...

Post by ansiaaa » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:54 pm

dropbeattalent wrote: I have tried warping to 130 every 2 bars and copy pasting, but then the audio track sets up some stupid fades at the end of each clip that I can't delete so I have to move it around...Also doesn't seem to land on the beat anyway.
Preferences window -> Record Warp Launch tab -> Warp/Fades section: disable "Create Fades on Clip Edges"

if the clip speeds up and slows down at moments it means you misplaced the Warp Markers.

use Complex or Complex Pro as Warp Mode (it's in the Clip View, in the middle of the Sample menu. it's usually set to Beats Mode by default, but that will give you a weird result with vocals)