what can logic do for me that ableton can not?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Mismoplastico

what can logic do for me that ableton can not?

Post by Mismoplastico » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:06 pm

?

eddiex

Re: what can logic do for me that ableton can not?

Post by eddiex » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:09 pm

i have logic express and ableton.....ableton i got just more recently....i pretty much don't use logic too much anymore..ableton kind of took over......some people might say, logic sounds better? it has better sounding instruments? which i don't fully disagree with.... i really dig the "ultra beat" drum machine in logic....the sequencer in ultra beat was a little easier for me to wrap my head around....compared to say....writing in midi notes in the piano roll in ableton....but....the instruments in logic are a lot more complex than in ableton.... they aren't as straight forward....they aren't as easy to make your own sounds in...and of course, logic isn't designed to be played live like ableton is...although i am sure you could figure it out......i think it is like comparing apples to oranges.....they are both fruit.....you know? it just depends on what kind of fruit you dig......of course you can have both.....you can wire ableton to logic, and (i believe vise versa).....so you can play in ableton and record in logic.....i don't know....i hope this sorta helps.....
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

juanlittledevil

Post by juanlittledevil » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:54 pm

The midi implementation of Logic is actually really good and it's extremely deep. I've been using Logic for years, and I have to say there is a reason why people love it so much. However, Ableton has come a long way and it's audio engine HAS gotten much better. I used to only use Live for idea generating and DJing until version 6 came about and things started to get better with devices and audio routing. Now that I'm on Live 8 I have to say the last time I used Logic was about year ago to go back to some old projects.

Ableton IMHO is a great tool for artists while Logic tends to be a little better at the engineering side of things. But this is all a matter of opinion. Both Logic and Ableton work at 32bit internally tho so you are not going to see too much difference there. Some claim that Logic 'sounds' better. I personally can't tell the difference in our out of the studio. I do however hear some of the cliche use of devices from either tool. I.e. over use of beat repeat.... :P

perplex

Post by perplex » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:02 pm

I actually was a logic user. I have been using ableton, and I haven't launched logic in a while.

The only thing I loved about logic, was the arrangement view. so easy to trim/move/copy/splice/merge loop and navigate. Ableton's is really good too, but logic kinda takes the cake on it.

But the thing I looove about ableton, is the versatility in making music. You can get so many ideas down so quickly. Everything is JUST how it should be. mapping controls to the keyboard, automatic slice to midi mapping, drum kits, and what not. just pretty cool to me.

FYI i wasn't a PRO logic user. I know there are some very very deep and technical things logic can do flawlessly that a music engineer would cream over

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:45 pm

eddiex wrote:you can wire ableton to logic, and (i believe vise versa).....so you can play in ableton and record in logic
I just wanted to clarify this. you can rewire Live into Logic but not the other way around.

luddy

Post by luddy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:07 pm

a few of the obvious things that Logic has that Live doesn't:

-support for sheet music (scoring / music notation)
-vocal comping and quick swipe tool
-automation curves
-advanced MIDI editing operations (transform window, event view, etc.)

Logic can support a higher track count and a larger number of active plug-ins than Live. It has better support for various kinds of sync than Live does, or so it seems from lots of posts on the subject. I haven't tried doing much synching in Live myself.

I use Live exclusively these days, even for tracking and comping vocals, FWIW.

-Luddy

LightFireSound

Post by LightFireSound » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:23 pm

I find Logic really difficult to use since using Ableton. I just like being able to quickly lay down some midi on ableton with just a click. Whilst with logic I have to change tools and i swear the notes are never where i want them to be.

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:33 pm

live is what it is.

logic is what you make of it.

no matter if you are doing dance stuff, film scoring, band recording, sound design, audio drama, syncing (as master or as slave), advanced midi features (really really advanced!), mixing, multi screen setups, laptop or big screen, importing/exporting (midi, audio, sound into film, sound out of film, mp3, different sample rates/bit dephth), free adjustable key commands, list event editors, screen editors, piano roll editors, drum editors (all interactive or independent), multiple screen settings, 32 or 64 bit... i could go on for pages.

comparing logic and live is a bit like comparing picasa to photoshop. picasa is easier and it might exactly be what you need. but photoshop is the real professional choice.

on the other hand: live has those "life" features and is fast in sample mangeling and efx-chains (logic has no instrument-chain-function, really missing it). and the workflow with loops is much better in live.

wanna make serious music? get both.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:35 pm

Saxer wrote:live is what it is.

no matter if you are doing dance stuff, film scoring, band recording, sound design, audio drama, syncing (as master or as slave), advanced midi features (really really advanced!), mixing, multi screen setups, laptop or big screen, importing/exporting (midi, audio, sound into film, sound out of film, mp3, different sample rates/bit dephth), free adjustable key commands, list event editors, screen editors, piano roll editors, drum editors (all interactive or independent), multiple screen settings, 32 or 64 bit... i could go on for pages.

comparing logic and live is a bit like comparing picasa to photoshop. picasa is easier and it might exactly be what you need. but photoshop is the real professional choice.

on the other hand: live has those "life" features and is fast in sample mangeling and efx-chains (logic has no instrument-chain-function, really missing it). and the workflow with loops is much better in live.

No offence but that's a load of rubbish.

Both are professional apps.

There's no need to say write in live and mix in Logig if you have a fast computer. Unless you prefer working that way.

I did that for a while. realised it was taking much longer and just switched to live.

I spent the weekend messing around with max and suite after buying it and was actually blown away by how good some of the sounds I was getting were.

After spending the last few months building up a load of analogue gear (chandler, ebbe und flut, thermionic, 12 u of euro rack and other stuff it's got me really into finding the sweet spots of the gear I have been using.

I have found that applying the same methodology to live gives a great sound.

BUT there is a big caveat, the stock plugs are a bit better in Logic. If you use 3rd party then the difference is just really your preference....
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

juanlittledevil

Post by juanlittledevil » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:17 pm

tw1nstates wrote:
Saxer wrote:live is what it is.

No offence but that's a load of rubbish.

Both are professional apps.

There's no need to say write in live and mix in Logig if you have a fast computer. Unless you prefer working that way.

I did that for a while. realised it was taking much longer and just switched to live.

I spent the weekend messing around with max and suite after buying it and was actually blown away by how good some of the sounds I was getting were.

After spending the last few months building up a load of analogue gear (chandler, ebbe und flut, thermionic, 12 u of euro rack and other stuff it's got me really into finding the sweet spots of the gear I have been using.

I have found that applying the same methodology to live gives a great sound.

BUT there is a big caveat, the stock plugs are a bit better in Logic. If you use 3rd party then the difference is just really your preference....

+1 The truth is that there are a LARGE number of artist who work exclusively on Live and that enough is proof that it is possible to make it using just Live. Here is the thing both Logic an Live give you a bucket of tools to use. It's totally up to you the artist to use those tools to make something great. This ain't no "smart" instruments, oh wait... hehe.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:07 pm

I think one of the main things you get with Logic compared to Live is content. Logic Pro comes with a ton of loops, presets, samples, effects, and instruments. Whether or not you use them or prefer them to what comes with Live is obviously a personal choice, but in general the included content in Logic is slightly better quality (IMVHO). Some of the Logic instruments are a little more flexible and powerful too, though the downside of this is that they come with rather cryptic GUI's and require a good bit of time to learn fully.

You also get a dedicated sample/audio editor built in, a movie scoring tool (Soundtrack Pro), more audio export options (MP3, AAC, etc), and a dedicated mastering and CD burning application.

Dedicated and user-configurable key commands is huge for me too, once you get the hang of the ones you use a lot, you can really speed up your workflow.

At the end of the day I think you can achieve the same results in either, but it's definitely a different workflow to get to that point.

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:39 am

i didn´t say live can´t get professional results. live is a good music software, i use it myself.
but there are a very lot of things you can do in logic and can´t do in live. if you don´t need or don´t know or don´t miss these functions does not mean they are not there!
i would never do film scoring in live... much to many needed functions are missing in live.
i would never try to make a bigband arrangement in live.
i would never develop a sampler library in live.

live is great for electronic music... maybe the best. same for using loops. but not for everything.

theoriva

Post by theoriva » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:36 am

logic sounds good without you having to do much...Live on the other hand needs a lot of tweaking.
:?

luddy

Post by luddy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:04 am

Saxer wrote: i would never develop a sampler library in live.
I've made EXS24 libraries and Sampler libraries, and I have to say that I find it much faster to work with Sampler for this purpose. The visual interface to Sampler is so much more intuitive than EXS24's. Setting up zones, crossfades, looping samples, etc., all are faster (at least for me) in Sampler than in EXS24.

-Luddy

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:29 am

luddy wrote: I've made EXS24 libraries and Sampler libraries, and I have to say that I find it much faster to work with Sampler for this purpose. The visual interface to Sampler is so much more intuitive than EXS24's. Setting up zones, crossfades, looping samples, etc., all are faster (at least for me) in Sampler than in EXS24.
thats right... i thought about sample cutting, trimming, crossfading, converting, normalizing etc... before inserting into any sampler.
if you make sample libraries for the exs you should try redmatica software:
http://www.redmatica.com/Redmatica/AutoSampler.html