check out MidiMe, my new iPad midi controller app

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kuniklo

check out MidiMe, my new iPad midi controller app

Post by kuniklo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:44 am

MidiMe gives you four big, high-resolution control pads with unique control modes like recordable midi gestures and bouncing ball mode. You can find it here:

http://bit.ly/eKkozg

Demo video here:
http://bit.ly/fseWRY

Screenshot is here:
http://bit.ly/gloGH4

It's very likely I'll have an iPhone/iPod version with a single control pad soon too.
Last edited by kuniklo on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kuniklo

Re: check out MidMe, my new iPad midi controller app

Post by kuniklo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:00 am

I've gotten confirmation from my testers that it works as-is with Apple's camera connection kit too, so you can use MidiMe to do naughty things with your hardware synths if you want.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:41 am

kuniklo wrote:I've gotten confirmation from my testers that it works as-is with Apple's camera connection kit too, so you can use MidiMe to do naughty things with your hardware synths if you want.
Does this also mean that we can dispense with WiFI? USB connection straight to lappy? I thought that was forbidden by the gods on Mt. Macintosh. :?
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:02 am

Anubis wrote:
kuniklo wrote:I've gotten confirmation from my testers that it works as-is with Apple's camera connection kit too, so you can use MidiMe to do naughty things with your hardware synths if you want.
Does this also mean that we can dispense with WiFI? USB connection straight to lappy? I thought that was forbidden by the gods on Mt. Macintosh. :?
No it doesn't mean that... this is, as you said, FORBIDDEN.

Possibly the single most frustrating thing about iOS for me.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:27 pm

Looks pretty cool, I would love a Ipod (Retina) version.
Maybe you could keep 4 parameters on the retina display, if you take different colors and display them at the same time, but slightly transparent (alpha channel).

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:17 pm

Anubis wrote: Does this also mean that we can dispense with WiFI? USB connection straight to lappy? I thought that was forbidden by the gods on Mt. Macintosh. :?
Unfortunately not, but you can create a local WiFi network on your Macbook so you don't need an existing WiFi network to use it.

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:18 pm

#1thelark wrote:Looks pretty cool, I would love a Ipod (Retina) version.
Maybe you could keep 4 parameters on the retina display, if you take different colors and display them at the same time, but slightly transparent (alpha channel).
An iPod/iPhone version is definitely a possibility. I'm working on some essential stuff right now like presets but once I get that ironed out I'm going to take a serious look at a small-screen version.

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 pm

A couple of new demo videos:

First from Marcus Padrini, as part of his very thorough review on the site http://musicapps.com.br/:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW1zCb1B5P4

Second from Jon Drukman, electro wizard from the Bass Kittens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUx-X90P0Eg

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:20 pm

Hi Kuniklo,

I saw this in the app-store some days ago and it looks interesting.
But what it lacks for me is the possibility to send (scaled) notes via the xy-pads
like the Korg Kaossilator does! That would rock!
And that feature combined with an integrated arpeggiator! :wink:

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:35 pm

roxxx303 wrote:Hi Kuniklo,

I saw this in the app-store some days ago and it looks interesting.
But what it lacks for me is the possibility to send (scaled) notes via the xy-pads
I don't know the functionality of the Kaossilator but if you want to use Midime with Ableton you can already achieve similar results, by using Live's midi plugins and mapping Midime to the corresponding parameters...

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:25 pm

kuniklo wrote:
Anubis wrote: Does this also mean that we can dispense with WiFI? USB connection straight to lappy? I thought that was forbidden by the gods on Mt. Macintosh. :?
Unfortunately not, but you can create a local WiFi network on your Macbook so you don't need an existing WiFi network to use it.
Would this work?

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=162084

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:50 pm

roxxx303 wrote: I saw this in the app-store some days ago and it looks interesting.
Marcus Padrini, the MidiMe reviewer, suggested something similar. It's definitely a possibility. I'm working on getting a new version out soon with preset save & recall and after that's done I'm going to take a look at this and some other feature ideas.

Thanks for the suggestion!

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:51 pm

I can't be sure without trying it, but if it just works with existing CoreMidi, as the article claims, it ought to work.

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:16 pm

#1thelark wrote: I don't know the functionality of the Kaossilator but if you want to use Midime with Ableton you can already achieve similar
results, by using Live's midi plugins and mapping Midime to the corresponding parameters...
Would you be willing to post a short explanation of how to do this? I'd be happy to put it up on the main MidiMe site.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:44 pm

Okay. Well. This is a very cool app and BRAVO for implementing bounce/physics into this thing. However:

It's CRITICAL that you allow this app to keep running in the background no matter what... Many of us use multiple apps, and it would be great to have the bounce or record keep playing whilst we switch over to touchAble or any other app. :P Check out what the guy at Finger is doing with MoDrum and Bassline... both apps keep playing when you switch around. They also keep playing when you turn off the iPad screen.. WIN.

The record implementation is brilliant.

Multiple dots per window...that's important as well. Why limit to just one? Multitouch baby!

More pages would be great. Why not 4 more pads? 8 more pads? It's not like you're limited in terms of physical space like you would have with hardware! lol. The problem is that I'm only controlling 8 CCs with the app. :x

One last thing....You gotta give me another method to select the channel and CCs. Those sliders are horrid and way too sensitive. You stop on 81, lift your finger, and the thing scoots over to 82. :x

Anyway, great app. :x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x