Side-chain compression to kick drum in Impulse

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
seventhirtyfour

Side-chain compression to kick drum in Impulse

Post by seventhirtyfour » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:49 pm

This is hopefully a pretty basic question--I thought I had seen some YouTube vids where you can side-chain exclusively to the kick noise you've dropped into Impulse. Right now I am using the EQ to compress at only low freq in my Impulse drum kit. So, with a deep kick it is fine. But, when I use a hp filter for a lighter kick the compression doesn't work...or if I want it to, it picks up other higher frequencies sounds in my kit. In the drop menu I have chosen to get my audio from my Impulse kit--in the drop menu right below it my only options are pre-fx, post-fx, and mixer. I thought I had seen somewhere that this drop menu had each sound in your kit to more specifically side-chain. If anyone could throw out some help that would be awesome. Thank you so much in advance.

-stf

8TROW8

Re: Side-chain compression to kick drum in Impulse

Post by 8TROW8 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:02 am

In your impulse instrument do you have all of your drum kit or just the kick drum?

seventhirtyfour

Post by seventhirtyfour » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:08 am

I have all of my instruments. Should I just have separate kits for my kick and others? Thanks a ton for the reply.

8TROW8

Post by 8TROW8 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:19 am

Personally I place each of my instruments into a single Impulse. For example one impulse for my kick, one impulse for my snare etc

I find its alot easier to edit and add effects this way.

To solve your problem I would recommend placing your kick drum on its own with impulse.

Once you've placed your kick drum into impulse name it "kick"

Go to the compressor your using for the sidechain and from the dropdown menu select "kick" Then lower the threshold and change some of the settings to acheive your desired effect.

No worries - Let me know how you get on, I can explain more if its confusing.

Frederik654

Post by Frederik654 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:53 am

8TROW8 wrote:Personally I place each of my instruments into a single Impulse. For example one impulse for my kick, one impulse for my snare etc

I find its alot easier to edit and add effects this way.
Why not using Simpler than ? More control. Additionaly for sidechaining I duplicate the Kick Simpler with one muted as the first track so whenever I stop the active kick clip the side chain is still present (and I put a very clicky kick in it like a tr505/ tr707 kick).
Live8 Suite, Logic Pro X, µTonic, Synplant, U-He ACE, U-He Zebra2.x, U-He Uhbik's, U-He DIVA, Tal Bassline, GURU, Genelec 8040's, SPL Control, Serato, Traktor, TouchAble

8TROW8

Post by 8TROW8 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:05 am

Never thought to use simpler at all really might give it a go. I just found impulse gives me the tools I need easily and quickly. Will give simpler a go though cheers.

@734 how you getting on bud?

triss

Post by triss » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:20 am

I personally wouldn't use 8TROW8's method.

You can route the kick drum to it's own channel even when only using one Impulse.

See page 180 of the manual.

8TROW8

Post by 8TROW8 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:35 pm

Hence why I said personally :wink:

Bottom line is you should experiment and find your own working methods and see which feels right for you. Theres no right or wrong when your being creative

seventhirtyfour

Post by seventhirtyfour » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:58 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the input.

E6money

Post by E6money » Fri May 13, 2011 5:49 am

I believe this video may help you get to where your trying to go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M_6VZ8AcdE

I do my side chaining and effects this way so that I can see all the percussion elements in one instance of Impulse rather than copy and pasting multiple instances of Impulse.

Hope this helps?

E

rosti

Post by rosti » Fri May 13, 2011 12:07 pm

*cough* drum racks *cough* ;D