good eq plug ins ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Re: good eq plug ins ?

Post by ze2be » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:29 pm

necho wrote:+ 1 for Pro-Q
+2
Nice update! The Pro series is my favorite eq, compressor and limiter plugs by far. Great sound, the best interface, and I really like to be able to see realtime analysers on the plug. Especially on ProQ and ProL there is almost no gui noise at all. (zero un-nessesary layout space used, and very clear fonts and parameters)

necho

Post by necho » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Yup yup. The fact that you can do such extreme boosts with the Pro-Q (and its smoothness) allows you to use it really creatively - I like to pick out harmonics and crank the hell out of them. Makes Pro-Q feel like a synth or something.
_________
sigs suck.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:28 pm

some free ones that are worth checking...

'rea-eq' (nasty GUI but very nice surgical eq...some other great stuff in there)
http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

'Pushtec 5+1A' (for ruffer more 'musical' curves)
http://www.leftoverlasagne.com/plug-ins.html

'bootEqMkII'
http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/

Melda is very good as well... and I like their interfaces !
use EQ8 a lot...

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:00 pm

Hey 3phase,
I'm interested in your evaluation of EQs. How has it been going. Does any particular EQ stand out from the rest in your opinion?

How did Fabfilter Pro Q compare ?
I really like Pro Q :)

Thanks, Si

fx23

Post by fx23 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:04 am

i like dmg and proQ, but went to this one , find more modular for some stuff:
electriQ can be transparent, or not ;
http://www.aixcoustic.com/index.php/Ele ... FULL/13/0/

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:57 am

+1 on fabfilter....amazing plugs. Prop-Q my easy fav EQ nowadays (same for C among compressors)

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Rave

Post by Rave » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:50 am

Another one for fabfilter. I have the eq, limiter and compressor. The first two are used in all my latest productions.

BBR

Post by BBR » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Anyone use izotope alloy?

how does it compare? (its what I currently use).

tigali

Post by tigali » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:57 pm

Another +1 for the FabFilter Pro Q. By far my most used plugin.

Rave

Post by Rave » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:43 pm

BBR wrote:Anyone use izotope alloy?

how does it compare? (its what I currently use).
Ukruss uses it, from what I can remember he was happy with it.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:41 am

Sibanger wrote:Hey 3phase,
I'm interested in your evaluation of EQs. How has it been going. Does any particular EQ stand out from the rest in your opinion?

How did Fabfilter Pro Q compare ?
I really like Pro Q :)

Thanks, Si
difficult.. live is really not a good host for 3rd party plugs..or plug ins in general.. the crashing is up drastically now even on L8.21.. cant say yet wether one of the involved eq plugs is the bad guy or just the current projekt.. but with all the eq demos came more crashes..thats quite obvious statisticaly..
So maybe no good idea to use live wit another eq than eq 8..

On other thing that appeared during the test..it is actually really a problem that live has no dithered output to 24 bits in real time. At least an internal plug in is needed to control the bit depth of the outputs..

However.. i will need longer to come to an decission.. just in short.. the fab filter one is really good in the mix.. very transparent.. the melda is interesting from all its options but a bit rougher in the highs. but can do nice comb filtering stuff..
Waves renisiance eq is still the most body full and 3 dimensional one.. .. not as fine as the fab filter..but defently more character and mojo..they actually go pretty good together..

The others also interesting.. but some do heave latency problems..probably some are linear phase without mentioning it..
The gliss eq is a cpu monster and dont sounds so special to justify that..

MY analog eq´s blow all plug ins just out of the room.. the yamaha digital desk eq is somhow the winner and just what i would like as a chanel eq as a plug.. its a good compromise between the grip of the renaissance eq from waves and the transparent and distortion free fab filter..

But just an interims result... it seems that filters are filters ..regardless wether analog or digital you need different filters for different tasks.

However interesting that the ancient waves plug is still so tasty in relation to the others.. the fab filter wasnt able to shoot it out even when it has a finer sound. The waves still is more 3 dimensional and body full maybe not as refined and clean as the modern plugs but within a mix you get probaly the more expensiv sound with it.. i would say for equíngs up to +6 db the waves wins..above that the fab wins..

for now

and the melda is still in the testfield.. it is defently usefull and a good sonic alternativ to eq8..quite an own sound..
I wonder if the pro upgrade will enhance the sound quality... does anybody know wether thats the case or not?

And why do most of the plugs have theese stupid spectral analyzers..do they really help? to see a feedback that just has blown away your eardrum? i dont like such useless cpu eaters..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:43 am

Thanks for your update 3phase.
I am not getting the crashes in Live 8.2.2 that seem to be plaguing others with 3rd party plugs.
So far it's been really stable for me....Fingers crossed 8O
And why do most of the plugs have theese stupid spectral analyzers
I really like the spectral analyzer in Pro Q. Once I have finished with it, I just turn it off.
My ears are not as trained as yours, and I feel it really helps me.

I may suss out Waves renisiance eq to see what you are talking about. Aren't they having a sale for single plugs atm?

Thanks again 3phase. I am watching this thread with interest.