Kontakt & Live 4: Multiple midi channels

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rozling

Kontakt & Live 4: Multiple midi channels

Post by rozling » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:39 pm

Hi, I'm probably gonna get laughed out of it for asking this but I can't get my head around it:

I'm using Kontakt 2 in Live, and I want to keep it to one instance to keep the CPU overhead down. I've set 'MIDI From' to All Channels in Live, and then within Kontakt I've set two instruments, a Harp and a Bass, to channel 2 and 5 respectively.

But the instruments aren't responding to channels 2 and 5 from my midi controller, they'll only receive MIDI on 'omni' or 'Port A [from Host]', channel 1. I can clearly see MIDI going in on channels 2 and 5, but Kontakt seems to be interpreting both channels as channel 1

The NI website's down, too, so I can't access that forum atm.

I'd really appreciate a dig out with this one!

tribalogical

Post by tribalogical » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:05 am

The answer isn't THAT obvious, so it's no surprise you might have a head-scratcher on your hands... 8)

Thankfully, it's just a combination of routing and monitoring....

Try this (as an example):

- setup three midi tracks in Live...

track 01:
Load Kontakt and your two instruments as before (select "Port A [from Host]" and set channels 02 & 05 respectively). Use these settings:
- MIDI From:
-- <your controller / port>
-- CH 01 (assuming your keyboard is transmitting MIDI on Ch 01)
- Audio To:
-- Master

track 02 settings:
- MIDI From:
-- 1-MIDI
-- Track Out
- MIDI To:
-- 1-MIDI
-- 2-Kontakt2

track 03 settings:
- MIDI From:
-- 1-MIDI
-- Track Out
- MIDI To:
-- 1-MIDI
-- 5-Kontakt2

Almost there...!

To hear your instruments is dependent on your record-arm AND/OR monitor settings. This can be handled in various ways, depending what you need to do.....

here are a couple of ways you can do it:

Example 01: Lets you play and monitor (but not clip-record) either or both instrument tracks.
- Select any track.... (or, track 01 if you want to see the Kontakt interface)
- Set Monitor to ON in track 01 (required!)
- Then set Monitor to ON in either or both of the other two tracks to hear them as you play....

Example 02: Lets you hear and clip-record either or both instrument tracks.
- Set track 01 Monitor to ON
- Record-arm either or both the remaining tracks (to arm both, cmd/ctrl click the record-arm buttons)
- Set Monitor to Auto for the armed tracks (set Monitor to ON for any "unarmed" tracks that you still want to hear)...
- start recording your clips (that's a different lesson, if you need it... :) )

hmmm, there's a useful third example I'll mention (this one lets you record, track by track, into the arrange page, from the session view)...

While still in the Session View:
- Set Monitor to ON in track 01, and to Auto in tracks 02 & 03...
- Light up the Master record button, and record-arm track 02...
- Hit play and start recording track 02.
- When you're done, click the record-arm for track 03, and continue recording.

you can do this in loop mode if you want to hear the previous part while you record the next one, but it's tricky. You might overwrite the previous track if you're not careful (I'm not sure if this is a feature or a bug!). So stopping and restarting between cycles is a good idea.......

When you're done, you can flip to the arrange page to trim and arrange your clips... if you need them in the session view, just drag them over.

In any case, there is probably no need to record anythiung on track 01 (where Kontakt is loaded), as all your instrument performances will have their own clips in their respective tracks....

Hope this is what you were after? ;)

peace,
tribalogical

rozling

Post by rozling » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:16 pm

Thank you for such a detailed and thorough response tribalogical! This looks like exactly what I need. Gonna head back home right now to try this out... :D

rozling

Post by rozling » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:15 am

Hey, this worked a treat! I didn't get back to the nethouse all weekend as I was rocking out instead of puzzle-solving for once!! Thanks again

:D :D :D

tribalogical

Post by tribalogical » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:12 pm

you're very welcome... glad I could help... :)

Apologies if I seemed at all presumptuous about your Live knowledge level... I just assumed it would be better to provide all the detail, and let you cherry-pick whatever you needed from it...

I know the feeling... once I got the routing down using Kontakt with Live, amazing horizons opened up. I lost days in there... ;)

anyway, good to hear you're sorted...

peace,
tribalogical