How can I connect playing sets?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Spektrum Sued

How can I connect playing sets?

Post by Spektrum Sued » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:21 am

Hi everybody,
I have a pretty basic question. :roll:
I'm making electronic music since a few years, but just for me at home.
But in the last time I want do bring my things on stage, but theres one problem I don't know how to fix.
Of course, I have each set in a seperate Live-file.
But on stage - of course - there has to be no break between the sets, so how can I play the seperate live-files with a connection between them?
Do I have to put everything in the same file? But in this case I would have 100 tracks (I don't know if track is the right word for it but I'm shure you know what I mean) a million effects and I think my computer would capitulate...

Sorry for my english and thank you very much for help. :D
Lennart

Rabalder

Re: How can I connect playing sets?

Post by Rabalder » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:53 am

I suspect the most common thing to do is to make one performance-set and put everything in there.(the dj-way)
Some people also use external samplers (or something that makes sound) and "play" this while the next set loads. This would require an external hardware mixer though..

Spektrum Sued

Post by Spektrum Sued » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:21 am

Thank you very much.
The extternal player is a good possibility...
Everything is better than a giant, unclear live-set.

But I just had another idea because of your external-player-idea...
I could sample a simple pad or something else fading in and out without a beat I could play with Itunes or so when the new set is loading...
This is a pretty simple way :D

synthbob

Post by synthbob » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:10 am

Don't get put off having one large set. Mixing and matching different parts of each song can be very inspiring. Plus common effects can add a cohearance to the performance.

h:nez

Post by h:nez » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:30 pm

You can use two instances of live (has to be activated in preferences).
While playing instance 1 you can load the next live set into instance 2, and vice versa.
BUT:
I'm not sure, but to do so, you will need a soundcard with at least two stereo outs, 1/2 for instance one, 3/4 for instance two (to be adjusted in preferences), that you collect with an external mixer.
Maybe it is possible to assign the same outputs to the two instances. Is ASIO multi client able?
Disadvantage: You can't use one controller (APC40 for example) to control two instances of Live.
At least in versions prior 8.2 it was like this, and i don't think that changed. It would be nice, if the controller is always assigned to the instance of Live, which is in focus.
PC/Win10/RME FW802
APC40/Clavia Micromodular/Sherman FB2
Vermona DRM MK2/Dynacord VRS23/H9/BIM
Minimoog Voyager AE/Modular/Argon8/RD6/TD3
Live Suite/Reaktor/SomeFreePlugs/
____
draw a straight line and follow it
soundcloud
youtube
facebook

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:16 pm

h:nez wrote:You can use two instances of live (has to be activated in preferences).
While playing instance 1 you can load the next live set into instance 2, and vice versa.
BUT:
I'm not sure, but to do so, you will need a soundcard with at least two stereo outs, 1/2 for instance one, 3/4 for instance two (to be adjusted in preferences), that you collect with an external mixer.
Maybe it is possible to assign the same outputs to the two instances. Is ASIO multi client able?
Disadvantage: You can't use one controller (APC40 for example) to control two instances of Live.
At least in versions prior 8.2 it was like this, and i don't think that changed. It would be nice, if the controller is always assigned to the instance of Live, which is in focus.
I use 2 instances of Live and here are things that I've found:

you can use the same outputs for both instances.

key maps are intact for whichever "instance" you have opened

midi controllers need to be reset if you want to use them for both instances.

So the way i got around the midi controller is. I had my main set opened on the first instance that was mapped to the apc40. This is where i do all my complicated gigging. Then once i'm done the song i open up the second set and just use key mappings to launch scenes.. (or clips). It won't be the most interesting show but it's only for 30 seconds or so (just while the first instance opens up the next song) so it's not too bad.

justchris86

Post by justchris86 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:17 pm

I use a DJ mixer when I play live, and upload intros from my tracks into an MP3 player and then play the intro while loading the next track in ableton.

Make sure if you do this you set it up so that if need be you can loop the mp3 just in case you have issues loading the next track. That way you don't get any awkward silences
"Do not quote or read this text"

https://soundcloud.com/unnecessary-roughness-yyc

seventhirtyfour

Post by seventhirtyfour » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:05 pm

Hey. Here is a pretty lengthy video on playing live with Ableton that I thought was pretty awesome and helpful. And, the live set he uses to in the demo to perform a mix is able to be downloaded for anyone to use. I haven't messed around with it at all yet, but when I start playing live I think this method or some derivative along with the APC40 will be what I use. If the live set he uses isn't exactly your thing, hopefully it can at least provide some basic structure to create a live set customized to fit your style. Here is the link:

http://vimeo.com/3773783

Also, here is a link on how some dudes have set up the APC40 to perform live with Ableton that I thought was pretty good as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88o21-nSu4I

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:52 pm

you should be able to just drag the live project file into the currently open project's session view. that's how i roll.
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

Post by h:nez » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:31 pm

kanuck wrote:
h:nez wrote:You can use two instances of live (has to be activated in preferences).
BUT:
I use 2 instances of Live and here are things that I've found:

you can use the same outputs for both instances.

key maps are intact for whichever "instance" you have opened

So the way i got around the midi controller is. I had my main set opened on the first instance that was mapped to the apc40. This is where i do all my complicated gigging. Then once i'm done the song i open up the second set and just use key mappings to launch scenes.. (or clips). It won't be the most interesting show but it's only for 30 seconds or so (just while the first instance opens up the next song) so it's not too bad.
What do you mean with resetting a midi controller?
PC/Win10/RME FW802
____
soundcloud
youtube
facebook

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:10 pm

h:nez wrote:
sorry, reading that back it must've been confusing.

So for example if you have your apc40 and lpk25 plugged into your laptop and you open up the first instance of live. The 2 controllers will be active.

If you open up the second instance both controllers won't be available for use in the second set (still works in the first one).

what you have to do then would be go to the first set.
-control surface: none, input: none, output: none
- midi ports: make sure everything's deselected

Now you can go back to the second set and reselect all your midi controllers as you normally would. Now the midi controllers will work for the second instance and not the first.

I didn't want to bother with this setup so i have my first instance as my "main" set. And while i'm opening the next song i'll switch to the second instance and do a little jam with the key mappings.

Post by h:nez » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:23 am

kanuck wrote:
h:nez wrote:
sorry, reading that back it must've been confusing.

So for example if you have your apc40 and lpk25 plugged into your laptop and you open up the first instance of live. The 2 controllers will be active.

If you open up the second instance both controllers won't be available for use in the second set (still works in the first one).

what you have to do then would be go to the first set.
-control surface: none, input: none, output: none
- midi ports: make sure everything's deselected

Now you can go back to the second set and reselect all your midi controllers as you normally would. Now the midi controllers will work for the second instance and not the first.

I didn't want to bother with this setup so i have my first instance as my "main" set. And while i'm opening the next song i'll switch to the second instance and do a little jam with the key mappings.
Thank's for this hint.
I'll try, how i can go with that.
PC/Win10/RME FW802
____
soundcloud
youtube
facebook

justchris86

Post by justchris86 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:58 pm

memes_33 wrote:you should be able to just drag the live project file into the currently open project's session view. that's how i roll.
DUH! That seems way to easy! good call
"Do not quote or read this text"

https://soundcloud.com/unnecessary-roughness-yyc