Melodyne help, getting vocals tight and in key

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
leighbeynon

Melodyne help, getting vocals tight and in key

Post by leighbeynon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:48 am

i have a nice vocal, and my mate recently bought melodyne, so i thought i would take the vocal round and check it out, it did tighten up the vocal and push the vocal in the middle of a note rather than it drifting between pitches, but the vocal is still out of key, the chords im using are based on D mag, but im not sure how you can get the vocal to slot into the key,

ive changed the scale section to d major, then corrected the pitch and nothing changed,
some vocals as still sitting on A# but there is no A# in D mag,

anyone have better experience of melodyne maybe you could tell me what im doing wrong?
LPB

leighbeynon

Re: Melodyne help, getting vocals tight and in key

Post by leighbeynon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:31 pm

ive just watched alot of videos on the plug in and it has helped alot,

another thing i found strange though, i ran a different vocal through it, and the whole vocal
start to finish was on one note ?? i can hear the vocal shifting notes, so not sure why this has happened ??
LPB

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:25 pm

If melodyne shows you everything as all one note it's because you have the algorithm set to percussive instead of melody.
leighbeynon wrote:ive just watched alot of videos on the plug in and it has helped alot,

another thing i found strange though, i ran a different vocal through it, and the whole vocal
start to finish was on one note ?? i can hear the vocal shifting notes, so not sure why this has happened ??

leighbeynon

Post by leighbeynon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:49 pm

thank you and sorry for being foolish,

should melodyne actually detect what key the vocals are in, or is that for you to find out?
as i see you can snap to scale, but you would need to know the key of the track wouldn't you?
LPB