Poll: What do you use live for?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Poll: What do you use live for?

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:43 am

I really want to know how other users use live.
I think originally Live was intended to produce "electronic" music but especially with version 2 the possible applications become more divers.
So please tell me for which purposes you use it, how you use it and what are the pros and cons of live in your work.

Personally I try to blend traditional ways of making music (voices, acoustic instruments, song-structures) with the sonic abilities software offers (loops, tweaking of sounds
My fields of applications:
- Production of audio loops for Websites, CD Rom and DVD (the "render as loop" function is very handy for this purpose)
- Instrument for live performances - mainly drums, basses, vokal samples, textures - fired off from a midi controller
- multitrack recording of "natural" instruments - I did not dig too deep into this issue (that only came available with version 2) due to a lack of time.
- Audio appendix for virtual instruments - reason in my case

As a loop production-tool and software instrument live works just fine.
As a multitrack-recorder in my opinion some things could work more smooth. I liked to have better overview over my arrangements by re-naming recordings (other users mentioned that before) and the possibility to add meta information (like a grafical "Parts-track") to the GUI.
using live as an audio appendix to reason I wished I could do midi recordings in live - and thus have an integrated recording environment - b.t.w.: lives GUI is much better than reasons.

So what do you use live for?

yuval

Post by yuval » Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:38 pm

I use live for... Live performance!
It makes things a lot easier - make the loops in reason/ logic, add some reason redrum and bass sequences via rewire to perform live, and voila - it's working. Via my emi 2|6 it behaves like a hyper-dj console.
I work with a percussionist and a vocalist, doing original house tracks live. This software makes it so much easier to perform, and version 2 only makes it better.
As a sequencing tool - Well I've got logic... live is used more for set sequencing.
One thing I havn't got to explore yet (but it's just a matter of time) is to patch the vocals through live and do some online looping - But it's just a matter of time.
I agree about live's interface - It is one of the coolest around, no compatition yet, and 2 upped the notch event more.

shadowmania

i use it for...

Post by shadowmania » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:46 am

adding drum loops to songs in cubase sx..
in acid this was my process:

1. open acid
2. render a bunch of different loops
3. close acid
4. open cubase
5. open cubase project
6. import rendered drum loops
7. listen
8. not have exactly what I'm looking for
9. close cubase
start the whole process over again.

This could take up to 45 minutes depending on how many loops i wanted to render.
In LIVE it takes seconds
Needless to say Live streamlines my workflow considerably.

shadowmania

i should add to the above that...

Post by shadowmania » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:47 am

this only works in live 1.5
2.0 and higher doesn't work well if at all in rewire slave mode

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:28 am

I tried using Live to annoy my neighbors but this vital feature was missing in 1.5. With Live 2.0 I am now the Neighborhood Watch poster boy.

Thanks Ableton!

-Alex

globalgooon

Post by globalgooon » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:52 am

i use it purely as a studio tool. Sometimes rewired into cubase.

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:35 pm

I use Live for composing songs. I no longer use Cubase or Logic because they make my workflow too slow and their audio editing capabilities are too limited compared to Live.
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/122/ani ... idren.html