LCD TV as PC Monitor?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
googoo

LCD TV as PC Monitor?

Post by googoo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi, is anyone using an LCD TV as a monitor for their main display. I've looked for ones with the 1:1 pixel mapping but seeing as all the manufacturers use different names for this I'm at a loss to find out which ones do this.

Is this the main thing I should look for?

The only ones I know of are the Toshiba RV, LV and BV700 range (any thoughts) with their "EXACT SCAN" mode.

I'm looking for a 32" display as I presume any bigger would be overkill- yes?

If you have good results then please give me some guidance.....especially the exact make and model.

Thanks.

vicz

Re: LCD TV as PC Monitor?

Post by vicz » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:10 pm

If you can drive it using DVI or HDMI you should be OK, most newish video cards will be able to output a screen format that looks good on your TV. If you are just using VGA you probably need a TV with a VGA input or some sort of PC mode. I use an oldish 24" Philips LCD HDTV with my work PC using DVI and it works really well.

FrankieP

Post by FrankieP » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:39 pm

8O :lol:
Last edited by FrankieP on Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:40 pm

AFAIK, 1:1 pixel mapping is just the way the monitor will display content that is not at its native resolution. Meaning, if the image is smaller than the res of the monitor, it won't stretch it and mess up the aspect ratio. Pretty much all displays and TVs do this.

Your main concern is the resolution of the TV. It's certainly doable to run a TV as a display, and it's awesome for video and media because it's big and cheap. However, it kinda sucks for general use because computer displays have greater pixel density than TVs. Text and GUI elements might become fuzzy and unreadable.

Like, 1080p is only 1920x1080. That resolution looks really nice on a 24" monitor because there are so many pixels packed in a relatively small space. However when you get up to 32" or 40" there are fewer pixels per square inch and you'll lose clarity.

FrankieP

Post by FrankieP » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:12 pm

1:1 pixel mapping is to set your graphics card resolution to that of the native resolution for your display without any scaling or overscan.

blakjesus

Post by blakjesus » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:35 pm

FrankieP wrote:Image

8O :lol:
I have done this a couple of times at a friends house. I gotta admit, something about looking at a screen from 3+ yards away is a lot more comfortable than being only a few feet away.

It does make small text harder to read though...

auditory canvas

Post by auditory canvas » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:14 am

Been running a 42 inch TV with 1080 res for nearly a year, crystal sharp pic when used with a mini display port to hdmi cable. The size takes some getting used to, but once you get used to it, it's pretty damn cool :)

Here's a pic of it running ableton:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

gruvsyco

Post by gruvsyco » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:59 am

auditory canvas wrote:Been running a 42 inch TV with 1080 res for nearly a year, crystal sharp pic when used with a mini display port to hdmi cable. The size takes some getting used to, but once you get used to it, it's pretty damn cool :)

Here's a pic of it running ableton:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
42 inch@1080 here too. I love it but when I go to anything normally considered large like a 24 or so, it feels so tiny. I'm using the VGA input on mine. Tried a DVI to HDMI adapter and cable but had some ghosting (which I hear is common on lower end Samsungs).

googoo

Post by googoo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:07 pm

So........some say it's fuzzy others say it's sharp?! I'm running a 22" monitor at the moment but I'm looking for something that I can use a little more distance away......without squinting.
Obviously I'd be going 1080p so I'm not dropping too much screen display from the 22" monitor.

Anyone give me any specific model numbers?

Thanks.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:48 pm

googoo wrote:So........some say it's fuzzy others say it's sharp?! I'm running a 22" monitor at the moment but I'm looking for something that I can use a little more distance away......without squinting.
Obviously I'd be going 1080p so I'm not dropping too much screen display from the 22" monitor.

Anyone give me any specific model numbers?

Thanks.
If you have a laptop, just take it to the TV store and try a few out. I'm sure they'd let you.

King Vortex

Post by King Vortex » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:19 am

Im having the issue of seeing the sample clip at the bottom of my 42inch HDTV. I went into pref. and set zoom to 150% that way I can read the text easy since I wear contacts and sit a few feet back. Someone mentioned 1:1? What is that and will it fix my issue? The sample clip is half cut off. I use the cntrl Alt B and Cntrl Alt L alot to make it easier for me to navigate so its not too bunched up looking.