*Racks* : Sweepable Crossover

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
melocoton

Post by melocoton » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:48 pm

You could use it to make your own custom multiband compressor. You can make a nice multiband distortion rack with saturation, dynamic tube, and vinyl so that the flavor of distortion is perfectly tailored to each part of the spectrum. If you're mixing with full tracks you can do things like throw reverb or delay just on the highend so that it only effects the hi-hats. There are many many uses for this.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:54 pm

Ahh yes, the multi-band compressor...I am looking to use this rack as the basis for a multi-band sidechain compressor for live use....just got to find the appropriate compressor with sidechain...hello Ableton!!!

I will build a 3- and 4-band version of this crossover soon...

womoma

Post by womoma » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:29 am

nice work!

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:18 am

With a good crossover you can do things like this multi-band warping trick:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17350

The idea is you use a different Warp mode for your bottoms and your tops. Try it with Ethios4's crossover and see! :)
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

womoma

Post by womoma » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:44 am

Funny - I was just about to ask what its best uses are.

Ive just been playin around with it as a "smart cross-fader" for mixing between tracks DJ'ing.

Possibly not perfectly ideal but could be more suitable with some tweaking.

What else is this useful for? I like it.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:18 pm

For live use, I use this to mangle just the mids and highs, or just the lows, of a track. Slap a bunch of effects on the upper part of the crossover, and the bass/kick are still thumping away. I am about to start using it in cut-up hiphop sets with the new crossfader curves for cutting between the mids/highs of two tracks (beat-juggling would be nice) while leaving the bassline intact and groovy. It's a subtle effect, but can make lots of DJ techniques cleaner and tighter

For studio use, I use it in all the above ways, but also I just found that you can route audio into another track from anywhere in the rack, so you could route the upper and lower parts of the crossover into other tracks for subtle effects such as mutli-band compression, stereo imaging, saturation, etc. You could always use a filter/EQ to do this before, but with this crossover you can achieve a perfect split between highs and lows.

joesapo

Post by joesapo » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:44 pm

This works well with the ping pong delay. Normally sending audio thru the PPD cuts out all the bass.

ze2be

Re: *Racks* : Sweepable Crossover

Post by ze2be » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Bump!

Just what I was looking for. :)

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:00 pm

Ah yes! problem solved! :D

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:28 am

Ethios, or someone, I have a little problem grasping this rack! :oops: Must be tired, its late.. but:

Originally I made a multi ducking compressor rack this way: I created a rack with two compressors in parallel chains, added a dry/wet macro for each compressor with the " dry/wet empty rack trick", and set one eq8 in front of each, with macroes for lowpass and highpass on each of the two. This way you can set which frequency era each compressor will take effect, plus a dry/wet % of each effected signal from zero to 100%. I believe this have something to do with the so called "New York trick"? The only problem was a little coloring of the sound from the eqs, otherwise it worked perfectly. You claim your rack should fix the coloring!

I cant seem to grasp totally how this sweepable crossover rack can work for this purpose.. I suppose it should sweep between the two compressors with the one sweep macro its got assigned, which would be nicer then my 4 sweep macros design.. But where do I place the compressors? Also there's a clean signal going out on one empty chain, whats that meant for? Id like to be able to set a 100% effected signal.

Here it is, if you like to have a look at it: http://www.sendspace.com/file/1i414v

PS. please don't mind the channel strip racks that are inside there. I used them out of laziness, just because of the pre macroed eqs. :P The other effects in there are shut of, as long as their macros are set to zero.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:32 am

Sorry that I didn't explain it well.

For the Sweepable Crossover, simply drop one Dry/Wet rack + compressor on the 'High Pass' chain, and one Dry/Wet rack + compressor on the 'Low Pass' chain. The 'X-Over Freq' controls the split point of the crossover. You can then map the other macro knobs in the crossover to the releases, dry/wet, etc.

Don't worry about the clean chain inside the crossover. It mixes with the phase-inverted low-passed chain and produces a high-pass effect that blends perfectly with the low-pass effect in the main part of the crossover.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:34 am

Here's a rack that adapts your multi-compressors into the crossover.

http://www.ioav.com/ethios4/Sweepable%2 ... ressor.adg

Let me know if you run into problems.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:59 am

ethios4 wrote:Here's a rack that adapts your multi-compressors into the crossover.

http://www.ioav.com/ethios4/Sweepable%2 ... ressor.adg

Let me know if you run into problems.
Great, thanks!! :D Im of to work now, but I will try it when I get home tonight.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:26 pm

bump for this beautiful thread
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:01 am

Hey Tarekith,
If you're out there, how does this design compare to the way you constructed your DJ Kills?