Post your set up and your sexy cat...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RoCi

Re: Post your set up and your sexy cat...

Post by RoCi » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:58 pm

perplex wrote:what really shocks me is all the studio monitors, but nobody has sound treatment for their room?! (or proper sound treatment)

where are the bass traps, absorbers, ceiling clouds? wowwwww

shocking
have you seen erol alkans home studio? he has no treatment either.

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:16 pm

RoCi wrote:
perplex wrote:what really shocks me is all the studio monitors, but nobody has sound treatment for their room?! (or proper sound treatment)

shocking
have you seen erol alkans home studio? he has no treatment either.
Who the f... is "erol alkan"?
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:56 pm

shocking
I got bass traps :wink:

Full rig with cat

condra

Post by condra » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:35 pm

About acoustic treatment. Some of us are hobbyists. Some of us live with our parents, or worse yet, girlfriends.

Most of us do electronic music of some sort. Not every electronic track has to have world class mixing and mastering IMO.

perplex

Post by perplex » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:25 am

what does it matter whether you are a hobbyist or not? Sound treatment can be done by anybody. Its simple, so why not the effort if it benefits your work?

A little research about why its actually needed, and I bam, i was sold.

I did my treatment myself. It came out perfect, since I it is pretty simple to make after seeing how the process is done. And you can pretty much google how to do it. It all came out less than $200 for me, and I have 16 2x4 panels in my small room, 7 of which are bass traps. And the sound result was like night and day

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:41 am

It's easy enough to do for cheap and to do in any kind of environment (T-pins will hold foam to any wall and leave barely any mark), and it makes a huge difference. Not just in the results you might get, but in how much better things sound while writing music too.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Griogair

Post by Griogair » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:43 am

Can we just get back to what's important?

I wish I had a cool website to add here...

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:54 am

Griogair wrote:Can we just get back to what's important?

Is his name John Holmes?
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

condra

Post by condra » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:55 am

perplex wrote:......Its simple, so why not the effort if it benefits your work?
I did my treatment myself. It came out perfect......
Congratulations on your amazing sounding room, which you did all by yourself. My room is treated too, but that is beside the point. My point, since you missed it, was that it's short sighted to come on here and chastise people who don't have acoustic treatment, because not everyone CAN put shit on their walls, and not everyone cares to either.

perplex

Post by perplex » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:19 am

condra wrote:
perplex wrote:......Its simple, so why not the effort if it benefits your work?
I did my treatment myself. It came out perfect......
Congratulations on your amazing sounding room, which you did all by yourself. My room is treated too, but that is beside the point. My point, since you missed it, was that it's short sighted to come on here and chastise people who don't have acoustic treatment, because not everyone CAN put shit on their walls, and not everyone cares to either.
why the tude bro? its cool, i was just exaggerating a small observation I noticed thats all, didn't mean to offend anyone.

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:45 am

^ You just sounded a bit like a dick about it, 's all. ;)
For some people, 200 bucks is a lot of money. Me included. (mainly because I'm not a hobbyist)

Here's what I did, I bought some Basotect on eBay and nailed it to the walls in frames made of cheap plywood and cloth, all in all it cost me like € 50, and at least I got rid of a mean bouncy hall and most of the muddiness in the lower frequencies. It's not perfect, but it's sufficient.

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:53 pm

Mr-Bit wrote: Image
shit bro, those are some tiny speakers 8O

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:55 pm

i've got so much crap all over the walls/in the corners of my room i wouldn't be able to squeeze in any acoustic treatment
if i wanted to. which i don't.

perplex

Post by perplex » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:05 pm

MPGK wrote:^ You just sounded a bit like a dick about it, 's all. ;)
For some people, 200 bucks is a lot of money. Me included. (mainly because I'm not a hobbyist)

Here's what I did, I bought some Basotect on eBay and nailed it to the walls in frames made of cheap plywood and cloth, all in all it cost me like € 50, and at least I got rid of a mean bouncy hall and most of the muddiness in the lower frequencies. It's not perfect, but it's sufficient.
yea i admit, it was a dick move in retrospect, but i didn't mean it that way. but seriously, i love everybody's setup here in this thread!

anyway, $200 is a lot of money to me too, trust me! With a daughter on the way. But I just want to put out there, $200 can go far with proper planning in regards to sound treatment. Instead of buying that new piece of equipment for $500+ -- trying to acheive that "sound", you can spend $200 to improve your sound GREATLY, and still have $300 left for cheetos and samuel jackson posters! hahahahehehe

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:59 pm

macmurphy wrote:
shit bro, those are some tiny speakers 8O

Hand made by my brother a master cabinet maker, we were going for compact light weight units (for a pa) neodymium drive units and 18 inch bass drivers squeezed into bandpass enclosures and digital amps should kick out High levels for its size/weight, comparative to silly rave stacks/walls I'm used to dancing infront of :mrgreen: Haven't had a chance to test it yet still searching for our first venue.We are located over the border in Suffolk btw, any suggestions for a christening gig welcome?