Max for Live Manual

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
creature

Max for Live Manual

Post by creature » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:42 am

Hi

A more bizzare question for the abes, but will Max for Live come with a printed manual. I am really old fashioned Im affraid, and with something as complex as max for live I would really like to have a huge book (spiral bound if pos so it can lay flat) in front of me when learning it.

I really do not like electronic manuals when trying to learn something complicated.

Cheers

Steve

Geezus

Re: Max for Live Manual

Post by Geezus » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:07 am

creature wrote:Hi

A more bizzare question for the abes, but will Max for Live come with a printed manual. I am really old fashioned Im affraid, and with something as complex as max for live I would really like to have a huge book (spiral bound if pos so it can lay flat) in front of me when learning it.

I really do not like electronic manuals when trying to learn something complicated.

Cheers

Steve
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much better the electronic tutorials and documentation are compared to printed text, especially for MAX. All the tutorials are actual MAX patches that walk you through each individual concept at a controlled pace, and most importantly you are interacting with and building the patch as you go through the tutorial. A printed MAX manual would be fucking massive and it would be useless to learn from. The MAX tutorials, documentation, and help system are probably the best there is for any software system out there presently, all without any need for a unwieldy tome to read on the shitter.

creature

Post by creature » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:11 am

I learn more when reading a lofty tome on the shitter :-) I guess I am just a luddite :-)

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:18 am

creature wrote:I learn more when reading a lofty tome on the shitter :-) I guess I am just a luddite :-)
dont be so sure until you've actually gone through the MAX documentation and tutorials yourself

Bhang

Post by Bhang » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:19 pm

OK, let's give this another try---I'm sick and tired of staring at a computer screen for everything I need to do. Taking an old fashion bound manual to the park would be heaven---and of course I don't mind paying extra for it.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:59 pm

no really, the max electronic documentation is light years ahead of anything I've ever seen. print form would be like 100 steps backward for what it can do

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:10 pm

Android Bishop wrote:no really, the max electronic documentation is light years ahead of anything I've ever seen. print form would be like 100 steps backward for what it can do
+ a bajillion, you guys are being stubborn and missing the point.

but here ya go, printable documentation for max 4.6, it's a little out of date.
http://cycling74.com/downloads/older/

http://cycling74.com/download/maxmsp46doc.zip
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:39 pm

misterfitch wrote:apparently somebody figured out a way to convert the html-pages into a pdf with 2310 (!) pages. you can download it here :

http://www.flyproductionsmusic.com/Fly_ ... e_PDF.html
You could always print that off.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:41 pm

cool, stickied in the TnT sticky.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:52 pm

It does kind of show why printed documentation isn't ideal though, 2310 pages and of course non of the links are clickable once it's printed.

There's always this. Not read it myself, £38 seems a bit steep.

perplex

Post by perplex » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:55 pm

can someone send me a link for beginners on what max for live actually is? lol im coming from logic, and im new to ableton. help a bro out

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:57 pm

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:59 pm

perplex wrote:can someone send me a link for beginners on what max for live actually is? lol im coming from logic, and im new to ableton. help a bro out
info here

http://www.ableton.com/maxforlive

it's a graphical programming environment used to manipulate audio and/or midi.

for example you can take a box that represents a sound card input then draw in wires and link it to a filter then link the filter to an audio output.

similar with midi, you can take a box that represents a midi input, link it to a box that adds 12 the CC# (for example) in the midi data and then link that to a midi output box.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Syncretia

Post by Syncretia » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:18 am

How do I actually get to the Max help?

Is there a manual? I really want to have a lot of words thrown at me to get some ideas of what Max does before I go diving to the tutorials.
Download and listen @ http://www.syncretia.com

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:32 pm

Kruddler wrote:How do I actually get to the Max help?

Is there a manual? I really want to have a lot of words thrown at me to get some ideas of what Max does before I go diving to the tutorials.
It's accessed from the "Help" menu in the toolbar at the top of your screen. The Max manual is integrated into the the tutorials and the help files for each object. This is why the whole "I'm old fashioned, I need a physical book," (which I'm sympathetic to, btw) doesn't really make sense in the context of how one learns Max. Learning Max has to be a hands-on affair, and the documentation is tailored for just this. Things will be getting even better with Max 6.
Unsound Designer