TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

outershpongolia

Re: TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Post by outershpongolia » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:14 pm

teknobryan wrote:do you think you can incorporate velocity sensitive keyboard and drum pad in a future update? Garageband for ipad2 has this and it's pretty cool.
ummmmmmmmmmmmm...

WISH1

Post by WISH1 » Sun May 01, 2011 3:23 am

Using Touchable with Ableton is pure magic! I use it side by side with the Nativekontrol templates on my Apc40 or Launchpad. I highly recommend trying this if you have the gear.

Only thing is.. Every time I try to use Touchable with the Ableton Serato Bridge, Serato Scratch Live crashes. Very frustrating when trying to implement Touchable into my live performance. Anyone else having this issue?

Btw I'm on the latest versions of each software: Ableton Live ver. 8.2.2, Serato Scratch Live ver. 2.2 and Touchable 1.2 running on a MacBook Pro OS 10.6.7 with 4GB Ram and using Rane TTM 57.

Again, thank you developers of all these tools of mass destruction and hope to get this situation sorted out soon. At least in time for tech rehearsal or sound check. :D

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Sun May 01, 2011 1:36 pm

WISH1 wrote:Using Touchable with Ableton is pure magic! I use it side by side with the Nativekontrol templates on my Apc40 or Launchpad. I highly recommend trying this if you have the gear.

Only thing is.. Every time I try to use Touchable with the Ableton Serato Bridge, Serato Scratch Live crashes. Very frustrating when trying to implement Touchable into my live performance. Anyone else having this issue?

Btw I'm on the latest versions of each software: Ableton Live ver. 8.2.2, Serato Scratch Live ver. 2.2 and Touchable 1.2 running on a MacBook Pro OS 10.6.7 with 4GB Ram and using Rane TTM 57.

Again, thank you developers of all these tools of mass destruction and hope to get this situation sorted out soon. At least in time for tech rehearsal or sound check. :D
To be honest, we haven't got chance to test touchAble with The bridge. We really want to do it as soon as possible. We haven't got many feedbacks concerning touchAble/Bridge, would be great to know a bit more...I encourage you to open a new topic in this forum.

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Sun May 01, 2011 6:34 pm

i'm so enjoying TouchAble with two iPads, why Ableton has yet to buyup this fab little company is beyond me :)

27042011095 by toniutti, on Flickr
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Sun May 01, 2011 8:07 pm

abletoff wrote:i'm so enjoying TouchAble with two iPads, why Ableton has yet to buyup this fab little company is beyond me :)

27042011095 by toniutti, on Flickr

yeah i agree it's pretty much the essential companion

teknobryan

Post by teknobryan » Mon May 02, 2011 4:50 pm

outershpongolia wrote:
teknobryan wrote:do you think you can incorporate velocity sensitive keyboard and drum pad in a future update? Garageband for ipad2 has this and it's pretty cool.
ummmmmmmmmmmmm...
Make fun of me if you want but the iPad 2 CAN detect how hard you press the glass using the accelerometer. It works pretty well in the drums and keyboards in Garageband..

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon May 02, 2011 6:06 pm

The iPad1 works the same way.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue May 03, 2011 1:11 am

teknobryan wrote:
outershpongolia wrote:
ummmmmmmmmmmmm...
Make fun of me if you want but the iPad 2 CAN detect how hard you press the glass using the accelerometer. It works pretty well in the drums and keyboards in Garageband..
No, my bad.. :oops: I thought you were missing the keyboard and pad features.. they're velocity sensitive according to where you hit them but not according to velocity.

I completely forgot about that feature of the iPad - that would be pretty sweet

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Tue May 03, 2011 8:26 am

Apparently garageband velocity doesn't work that good...https://discussions.apple.com/message/15067980

I haven't used Garageband enough to give an opinion though

kooperativ

Post by kooperativ » Tue May 03, 2011 9:50 am

I tried it - and i consider it more of a gimmick than a real solution.
The Screen itself is not able to determine the force of presses - not even on the iPad 2. Apple uses accelerometer data to do this.

Try to tilt your iPad 2 and then hit a note - if i remember right it should almost always play at maximum velocity while tilting
It can be accurate.. but it can be a mess as well

About iPad 1 offering the same capabilities: Mine didnt! Not sure if it was an hardware error or not but it was impossible to get decent results. That's why we didnt implement this feature in the very first release.
Any other opinions on this? Someone really happy with garageband velocity and their ipad1/2?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 03, 2011 2:12 pm

I thought the velocity presses in GarageBand worked pretty good myself, better than I expected it would anyway. It's not perfect, but for knocking out drums works fine.

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Wed May 04, 2011 3:23 am

rabouille wrote:

Apparently garageband velocity doesn't work that good...
Well at least it's start. I find that it works decent enough. Maybe you could implement it as a third option in a future release?
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Wed May 04, 2011 8:06 am

simpleton wrote:
rabouille wrote:

Apparently garageband velocity doesn't work that good...
Well at least it's start. I find that it works decent enough. Maybe you could implement it as a third option in a future release?
I bet that touchAble in few months will have more options than any DAW on the market! :mrgreen:

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed May 04, 2011 9:59 am

@rabuille: Oh my. :)

With GBs new velocity sencitice technology for iPads, there might be hope for real preasure sensitive iPads in the future. The hardware technology is already there. Just a matter of geting production cost down to consumer level. Hmm