Is it possible to record takes??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Alibra

Is it possible to record takes??

Post by Alibra » Fri May 06, 2011 2:10 am

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out of there is a way to record takes (similar to how garage band does it). Not sure if there is some kind of plugin or something I need to get. I'd just like to have the option to record multiple takes without having to stop and re-record all the time. Thanks in advance.
Calvinalibra
APC40 + Push + Apogee Duet 2
Ableton + Maschine
To Self: Learn the equipment you have before you spend a bunch of money on new stuff. New equipment doesn't make you better <-- not working out for me.

synnack

Re: Is it possible to record takes??

Post by synnack » Fri May 06, 2011 2:13 am

If you are talking about comping, then the short answer is no.

You can search the forum and find many threads on this.

Like: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... &view=next
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Fri May 06, 2011 4:04 am

Record each new take in Arrangement view.
As you finish each take, drag it into a slot in Session view.

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Fri May 06, 2011 5:41 am

Not sure if this is exactly what you mean but I use Session view for this kind of thing

Set the accompanying clips to loop and start recording, maybe stick a count in at the start if needed and hit record. Keep going round and round as many times as you like till you hit paydirt (or run out of diskspace!). You can then cut the good bit out of the long wav you just recorded.

I do this a lot

S
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud

Alibra

Post by Alibra » Fri May 06, 2011 5:52 am

Simbosan wrote:Not sure if this is exactly what you mean but I use Session view for this kind of thing

Set the accompanying clips to loop and start recording, maybe stick a count in at the start if needed and hit record. Keep going round and round as many times as you like till you hit paydirt (or run out of diskspace!). You can then cut the good bit out of the long wav you just recorded.

I do this a lot

S
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I'll definitely give this a try!
Calvinalibra
Ableton + Maschine
To Self: Learn the equipment you have before you spend a bunch of money on new stuff. New equipment doesn't make you better <-- not working out for me.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri May 06, 2011 7:53 am

Live does have a feature that allows multiple takes to be captured in a single file.
In arrangement view, set up a loop and turn on looping.
You can now record inside this loop. When the loop restarts, the recording restarts.
When you're done doing your takes, you can select the take you want by moving the Loop Region inside the clip you just recorded. You'll have one file that contains all the takes you just recorded.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri May 06, 2011 8:17 am

hoffman2k wrote:Live does have a feature that allows multiple takes to be captured in a single file.
You can now record inside this loop. When the loop restarts, the recording restarts.
When you're done doing your takes, you can select the take you want by moving the Loop Region inside the clip you just recorded. You'll have one file that contains all the takes you just recorded.
might be worth mentioning that this is what the overdub button is for ;)

ryanisflyboy

Post by ryanisflyboy » Fri May 06, 2011 8:20 am

hoffman2k wrote:Live does have a feature that allows multiple takes to be captured in a single file.
Now that is a cool tip. Maybe slightly awkward, but worked wonderfully. Thanks for the info. This works better than overdub because you end up with several alternate takes. I do this a lot when trying to record leads, since my chops are most decidedly still in the "newb" category.

ChrisMack99

Post by ChrisMack99 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:23 pm

I wonder if you could use follow actions...

Create a bunch of clips on the same track and set them all to play for the appropriate number of bars for your piece (maybe 2 or 4 bars longer to give yourself time to start again), and then move on to the next one.

Are you trying to record a midi or audio instrument? I think this would definitely work with midi...maybe not audio. For midi just set up the follow actions and leave the overdub button on.

Alibra

Post by Alibra » Fri May 06, 2011 7:31 pm

ChrisMack99 wrote:I wonder if you could use follow actions...

Create a bunch of clips on the same track and set them all to play for the appropriate number of bars for your piece (maybe 2 or 4 bars longer to give yourself time to start again), and then move on to the next one.

Are you trying to record a midi or audio instrument? I think this would definitely work with midi...maybe not audio. For midi just set up the follow actions and leave the overdub button on.
I'm doing it for audio. MIDI isn't usually a problem but with audio i'm usually standing up with a guitar or on vocals or something. I have some things to try out tonight though, so I'll definitely let you all know how i did.
Calvinalibra
Ableton + Maschine

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri May 06, 2011 7:49 pm

friend_kami wrote:
might be worth mentioning that this is what the overdub button is for ;)
definitely worth mentioning.

the way hoffman2k described it is pretty much how i do it.

this works with MIDI or audio.

to add to the method above... i do this with vocals more than anything, since i'm recording myself hitting record, play, stop over and over ruins my flow. pain to do all that with a bass in my hands too.
i let it record in the looped region until i know i have a good take or two.
if the last take was money, i'm done... but if not...
i then drag the end of the clip (in Arrange view) all the way over to the right.
this will show me all of my takes... so i usually only go about 5 or 6 rounds to avoid hassle.
i duplicate the track and delete the duplicate recording.
disarm and mute the track i used to record.
now i cut any take i want out of this long recorded multitude of takes
i line that one up with my last take on the track i recorded with.
the last step helps when you come in on a downbeat etc. and really is just a guide. it saves times on occasion.

edit to taste and you have your clip or clips. copy and past in session view if needed.

hth