Big set with long tracks = 15 mintues of preloading

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pulse

Big set with long tracks = 15 mintues of preloading

Post by pulse » Thu May 05, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi there,

I noticed that the time of preloading (grey clips are loaded and then live re-scan the whole clips) is very long now ...

I have more than 100 songs and they are all placed on the session view ...

first of all, everything is greyed than the colors of clips appears and it seems ready to use, but then live rescan everyclip

I saw in the doc that I can desactivate the creation of analysis files ...

should I go that way or is there another option?

my clips are warped but no changes have been done to my library ...

my tracks are mp3 format ... is it the decoding time that is annoying me?

well it takes like 15 minutes so that my HD can "sleep"

I have a big gig this saturday and am a bit anxious about this long loading time ...

Any help welcome ...

and sorry if it was asked thousand of times but I found nothing in the forum after a quick search ...

pepezabala

Re: Big set with long tracks = 15 mintues of preloading

Post by pepezabala » Thu May 05, 2011 9:59 pm

pulse wrote: my tracks are mp3 format ... is it the decoding time that is annoying me?
yes, that's it.

pulse

Post by pulse » Thu May 05, 2011 10:04 pm

okay so I should go on stage 15 minutes before :lol:

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu May 05, 2011 10:58 pm

pulse wrote:okay so I should go on stage 15 minutes before :lol:
that would be the perfect time to test your stand up comedy routine.. great ice breaker..

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu May 05, 2011 11:06 pm

nuxnamon wrote:
pulse wrote:okay so I should go on stage 15 minutes before :lol:
that would be the perfect time to test your stand up comedy routine.. great ice breaker..
Or learn to beatbox :P
Nothing to see here - move along!

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Thu May 05, 2011 11:14 pm

Increasing your disk cache size in prefs would do the trick im thinking?

pulse

Post by pulse » Fri May 06, 2011 7:13 am

thanks for your comments :)

increasing the cache ... I remember having no limits set ... = default setting ... do you realling think it may help if I set something bigger than default?

but if it is the decoding of mp3 towards wav and with lot of tracks (around 100) and with a 5400 rpm hard drive it may be the reason ?

the loading consist of the clip being rescan (i can see like a progress bar on the clip it self when in session view) and it looks like most of the clips are rescanned every time I open the als file ...

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:27 am

You could convert everything to wav. In fact, you could just grab the decoded wavs from the cache and swap them out. You'd need to rename all the .asd files to .wav.asd instead of .mp3.asd to avoid having to rewarp the clips, but other than that, you should be ok.

A bit of work, but if the load time bothers you, it'll help.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri May 06, 2011 8:33 am

ollyb303 wrote:You could convert everything to wav. In fact, you could just grab the decoded wavs from the cache and swap them out. You'd need to rename all the .asd files to .wav.asd instead of .mp3.asd to avoid having to rewarp the clips, but other than that, you should be ok.

A bit of work, but if the load time bothers you, it'll help.
Another dirty way of converting your clips would be to just crop them, without actually cropping anything. Live will write new wav files into a folder in your project. Make sure you have enough hard drive capacity ....

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Fri May 06, 2011 7:03 pm

pulse wrote:thanks for your comments :)

increasing the cache ... I remember having no limits set ... = default setting ... do you realling think it may help if I set something bigger than default?

but if it is the decoding of mp3 towards wav and with lot of tracks (around 100) and with a 5400 rpm hard drive it may be the reason ?

the loading consist of the clip being rescan (i can see like a progress bar on the clip it self when in session view) and it looks like most of the clips are rescanned every time I open the als file ...
I have some really large sets with more like 500-1000 tracks arranged in session, all mp3s, and my sets load up right away because everything is in the cache. Once in awhile my computer has a cache glitch and I have to reload it all, but that is very rare. Im wondering if you are just consistently suffering from this glitch, which only seems to happen to me when my laptop starts without being plugged in (still don't know why this causes a cache problem, but it does)

pulse

Post by pulse » Fri May 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi
I just had an answer from ableton saying it was normal ...
and to remove the ram option if any put ...

should I try to fix a big cache (more than the 10 gb by default?)

I always plug the power (220v)

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Fri May 06, 2011 8:15 pm

Ram option? Like loading a sample into ram for legato mode? Naturally I could see those having to reload, but I find it funny that Ableton says its normal. It shouldn't be thats for sure lol.

I know for me, my sets are so huge that in order to recache I have to disable all my VSTs, then load and recache the set, then save the set and reload it with the VSTs active again. Otherwise the set will crash when I try to open it.

I think fixing the cache may be a good thing to try, perhaps it gets flaky with an unlimited cache. I think im going to have to try that :)

pulse

Post by pulse » Fri May 06, 2011 8:33 pm

i changed the cache from 10 gb to 30 gb and am waiting to reload everything and then will see if it changes something ...

dont really want to do all the conversion work, seems a bit silly ...

pulse

Post by pulse » Fri May 06, 2011 8:43 pm

same result but it seems quickier with the 30 gb option ...

the difference is that I dont have the jauge bar with the % going on and on (bottom line) which says in french "mise en mémoire tampon ..."

but the clips are reloading the same way ...

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Fri May 06, 2011 8:54 pm

One more thing to try, if you haven't already, is to clear the cache folder and start it again. After thinking about it some more I have had a rare occurrence where it seems like something in the cache got corrupted and I had to delete it and start fresh or else it kept wanting to reload stuff. Also sometimes deleting your user preferences file will fix random stuff like this, but it sucks to have to redo your settings, so a good way to see if it has any effect is to just rename it and if it has no effect rename it back.

Just more random suggestions from someone who has had a ridiculously large set for a long time lol.