Still trying to decide ... why ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
xzusa8ky

Re: Still trying to decide ... why ableton?

Post by xzusa8ky » Sat May 07, 2011 12:14 am

LIVE 8 (Dissapointment)

Yes the concept of Live is a great idea on the paper but in real life you will pay for a DAW with a buglist that reaches from here to the moon! Take a look on this forum and you will see that many many people are having problems with Live and and this is going on for years. If you want to make music and not spending all your time waiting for the next update or a answer why your copy of live is crashing all the time you should seriously check other DAWs too. I personally think that Ableton should get some new programmers otherwise they will not be able to keep live as their concept in the future. I am sure that other companys are aware of the problems that Ableton have and maybe some (real) programmer will bring a DAW like live but stabel and with all the features people have been waiting for for years and nobody will even think of Live anymore, sad but thats my feeling.......

REASON 5 + RECORD (Amazing!)

Reason is a monster in stabillity and you got everything you would ever want to make music! And you dont have to pay extra if you want a sampler, synth, effects and mastering plugins. And YES you can surely get amazing sounds out of Reason faster than if you use LIve! And the most important thing is that Reason never crash on you! With Record you can record and you will get a mixing console that beats any DAW on the market, the SSL emulation is truely amazing and extremly light on your cpu too. If you want the same sound in live you have to invest in plugins which are highend and they cost alot and they often crashes Live! And not to forget is the unbeatable implementation of Remote! Plugin your controller and you are ready for action without spending hours of programming like in live! I been using live for years (Bugs, Bugs, Bugs) but since the release of Reason 5 and Record i changed my mind! They just work and they sound amazing analog and clean. The timestrecthing in Record beats Live in all aspects......
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Sat May 07, 2011 1:24 am

xzusa8ky wrote:LIVE 8 (Dissapointment)

Yes the concept of Live is a great idea on the paper but in real life you will pay for a DAW with a buglist that reaches from here to the moon! Take a look on this forum and you will see that many many people are having problems with Live and and this is going on for years. If you want to make music and not spending all your time waiting for the next update or a answer why your copy of live is crashing all the time you should seriously check other DAWs too. I personally think that Ableton should get some new programmers otherwise they will not be able to keep live as their concept in the future. I am sure that other companys are aware of the problems that Ableton have and maybe some (real) programmer will bring a DAW like live but stabel and with all the features people have been waiting for for years and nobody will even think of Live anymore, sad but thats my feeling.......

REASON 5 + RECORD (Amazing!)

Reason is a monster in stabillity and you got everything you would ever want to make music! And you dont have to pay extra if you want a sampler, synth, effects and mastering plugins. And YES you can surely get amazing sounds out of Reason faster than if you use LIve! And the most important thing is that Reason never crash on you! With Record you can record and you will get a mixing console that beats any DAW on the market, the SSL emulation is truely amazing and extremly light on your cpu too. If you want the same sound in live you have to invest in plugins which are highend and they cost alot and they often crashes Live! And not to forget is the unbeatable implementation of Remote! Plugin your controller and you are ready for action without spending hours of programming like in live! I been using live for years (Bugs, Bugs, Bugs) but since the release of Reason 5 and Record i changed my mind! They just work and they sound amazing analog and clean. The timestrecthing in Record beats Live in all aspects......
Yeah, and especially Reason excels when it comes to controlling external gear.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

ricardol

Post by ricardol » Sun May 08, 2011 12:06 am

Thanks everyone ..

Still trying out the demos

Greeg

Post by Greeg » Sun May 08, 2011 9:01 am

I just love Live workflow. Somehow it boosts my creativity. With other DAWs (ie. FL) I felt like i'm fighting with the GUI - everything was always messed up, opened windows everywhere, too much mouse clicking etc.
VST Cafe - music production blog, ableton, vst
Novation V-Station, Toxic Biohazard, Cakewalk Z3ta+ - modern electronic, EDM, pop soundbanks | Tone2 Gladiator Space Station - soundbank

admiralsnackbar

Post by admiralsnackbar » Sun May 08, 2011 1:23 pm

Hate to say it, but as a writer, I've found myself preferring R&R for composition/arranging/recording more and more. The work-flow reminds me of my old Yamaha 8-track and the Blocks system reminds me of... err... Live's. Just as fast, but a little deeper, to be honest. Meanwhile, Live has been demoted to odd jobs like being my VST/AU host, MIDI-out sequencer, video-scoring platform.

I still see far more good than bad in Live, so I'll refrain from dogging Ableton for v.8. I appreciate that they must almost certainly taking a huge financial/market-share hit by slowing their development schedule to resolve 8's problems while other developers are implementing Live-like arrangement features. Likewise, giving users the Amp plug was an uncharacteristically generous gesture of contrition considering the company's history. And finally, Live is still the only program I would want to use to record and trigger samples/loops on the fly with during a performance. All the same, v.9 will have to be pretty kick-ass if it is going to win back my trust and upgrade money.

If you (OP) can, just dissolve the dilemma by buying Live and Reason/Record -- they are both outstanding, very complimentary products, and when you factor in how much cheaper it is to get non-Suite Live AND the effects/instruments in R&R than buying even just a few VST's, it really is an obscene embarrassment of riches (Komplete might be an even better value for many, but the Props' stuff suits more of my needs).

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun May 08, 2011 1:29 pm

funken wrote:
In Live you can even drag parts from one song into another, even merge 2 songs.

??? merging 2 songs is one of the weakest points in live.

People in my surrounding call ableton luve a trap..

so think twice if you are willling to go into this trap..

As a hobby musican its fine..when your goals are a bit higher go fro a propper daw and accept the steeper earning curve..you can later than go back to toys like reason or live...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Sun May 08, 2011 1:34 pm

admiralsnackbar wrote:Live has been demoted to odd jobs like being my VST/AU host, MIDI-out sequencer
Odd jobs? This must be then typical mind set of Reason generation. Even with RECORD Reason is still half-assed toy as long as it doesn't send MIDI.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

admiralsnackbar

Post by admiralsnackbar » Sun May 08, 2011 3:04 pm

LeifonMars wrote:
admiralsnackbar wrote:Live has been demoted to odd jobs like being my VST/AU host, MIDI-out sequencer
Odd jobs? This must be then typical mind set of Reason generation. Even with RECORD Reason is still half-assed toy as long as it doesn't send MIDI.
It would really depend on one's needs whether MIDI out or any other feature made something a toy or not, wouldn't it?

It's always puzzling to me when people feel compelled to behave like presumptuous douchebags over what amounts to a tool-kit. If I'm a mechanic that specializes in classic American cars, exactly how much do you think I should care about some nitwit bragging about his metric ratchet set, band saw, heat gun, commemorative "One Day At A Time" Schneider tool-belt, lawn-mower and Sears poncho?

Q #2: Who sounds like more of a new jack? The person who would rather take the time to place the right mic(s) for the right instrument at the right place through the right hardware and wait for the right take, or the one who appears to be trying to persuade others that having the software toolkit with the highest proportion of turd-polishing bloat will make him king of the mountain? Shit, I still remember watching first-run broadcasts of The Time Tunnel... how about you, oh Grizzled Omniscient One?

justchris86

Post by justchris86 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:43 pm

ricardol wrote:Thanks everyone ..

Still trying out the demos
You may have opened a can of worms on this one.

Keep trying demo's you wont really know if you love live, reason, FL until you try them all and get YOUR preference. I use reason for years and loved it but now i use ableton and love it more! its %100 preference.
"Do not quote or read this text"

https://soundcloud.com/unnecessary-roughness-yyc

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon May 09, 2011 5:51 pm

You wont know live till you utterly hate it and love it.

Ie - hate the bugs, definciencies etc and love the overall workflow. No other daw will either piss you off as much nor let you work as fast.
Nothing to see here - move along!

justchris86

Post by justchris86 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:15 pm

admiralsnackbar wrote:
LeifonMars wrote:

Q #2: Who sounds like more of a new jack? The person who would rather take the time to place the right mic(s) for the right instrument at the right place through the right hardware and wait for the right take, or the one who appears to be trying to persuade others that having the software toolkit with the highest proportion of turd-polishing bloat will make him king of the mountain? Shit, I still remember watching first-run broadcasts of The Time Tunnel... how about you, oh Grizzled Omniscient One?
I %100 agree. seems today people want to push one button and have perfect recordings every time. Thats not how it works.
if you don't like ableton maybe you could go back to a Tascam da88.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:23 pm

Reality check:

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Tue May 10, 2011 8:25 pm

kb420 wrote:Reality check:

Friend of mine has one of those and also Fostex 8 track tape recorder. We use them once in a while for saturation and compressing.

justchris86

Post by justchris86 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:42 pm

LeifonMars wrote:
kb420 wrote:Reality check:

Friend of mine has one of those and also Fostex 8 track tape recorder. We use them once in a while for saturation and compressing.
I bet it sounds great!

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Tue May 10, 2011 10:09 pm

justchris86 wrote: I bet it sounds great!
For certain purposes, yes. I kind of like the little wobble cassettes tend to do. You can turn your soft synths into analog synths by recording them first on cassette. :P