Solfeggio Frequencies – The Perfect Circle of Sound etc.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glitchrock-buddha

Solfeggio Frequencies – The Perfect Circle of Sound etc.

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon May 09, 2011 8:24 pm

Anyone ever heard of this stuff?

Yahn's musical scale/The Ancient Solfeggio Frequencies – The Perfect Circle of Sound bla bla bla.

http://www.miraclesandinspiration.com/s ... cies3.html
This site has a little write-up about re-tuning instruments to A = 444 hz instead of the usual 440 so that A5 = 528Hz and you get these frequencies that are supposedly biological good for you. To me it seems like such a small change that I'm not sure there's any point. I mean, this is only a detuning (well, up-tuning) globally of not even 10 cents and doesn't seem to make much difference. Individual oscillators in a single synth patch will often have this much detuning from each other just for a little width in the sound.

Anyone else heard of this stuff? What do you think? nonsense? Anyone use this tuning and find they are in some perfect biological balance with nature and the universe? ;)
Professional Shark Jumper.

ark

Re: Solfeggio Frequencies – The Perfect Circle of Sound etc.

Post by ark » Mon May 09, 2011 8:53 pm

I think it's nonsense. I challenge anyone to produce independently verifiable evidence that shows otherwise.

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Mon May 09, 2011 8:58 pm

ark wrote:I think it's nonsense. I challenge anyone to produce independently verifiable evidence that shows otherwise.

I agree. The audible frequency spectrum is uniform, who wants to have to avoid bits of it.

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Mon May 09, 2011 8:59 pm

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Mon May 09, 2011 9:06 pm

Curiously whilst the Wikipedia page for Solfeggio dosn't mention frquency once, it does feature Pitch Class notation.

fisto

Post by fisto » Mon May 09, 2011 9:16 pm

I think that it is no nonsense at all.
I've meditated on solfeggio a lot of times and it really brings you into another state of consciousness.
Also did I try to make a tune on the basis of 528 Hz (DNA-Repair) and after half an hour of those sines on my headphones I was really uuuuuuuuuuuuuu..... :mrgreen:

Really not nonsense guys. Not all that you don know or understand is nonsense :)
Just try it.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon May 09, 2011 9:54 pm

fisto wrote:I think that it is no nonsense at all.
I've meditated on solfeggio a lot of times and it really brings you into another state of consciousness.
Also did I try to make a tune on the basis of 528 Hz (DNA-Repair) and after half an hour of those sines on my headphones I was really uuuuuuuuuuuuuu..... :mrgreen:

Really not nonsense guys. Not all that you don know or understand is nonsense :)
Just try it.
Just out of curiosity, what do you mean when you say "on the basis of 528 Hz"? As in, your whole song had only one note? Or you tuned your A440 up to 444 for your song and play in the key of A or what?

I don't doubt that listening to an evolving drone can put you in a meditative state, and maybe some frequencies are better for the body than others, but I'm having a hard time believing that a few Hz will make a difference. ?

ark

Post by ark » Mon May 09, 2011 10:07 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:I don't doubt that listening to an evolving drone can put you in a meditative state, and maybe some frequencies are better for the body than others, but I'm having a hard time believing that a few Hz will make a difference. ?
As I said, it's nonsense.

fisto

Post by fisto » Mon May 09, 2011 10:17 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
fisto wrote:I think that it is no nonsense at all.

Just try it.
Just out of curiosity, what do you mean when you say "on the basis of 528 Hz"? As in, your whole song had only one note? Or you tuned your A440 up to 444 for your song and play in the key of A or what?

I don't doubt that listening to an evolving drone can put you in a meditative state, and maybe some frequencies are better for the body than others, but I'm having a hard time believing that a few Hz will make a difference. ?
on the basis meens: I made a sine of 528 Hz (base-tone) and divided it till I had a sine of 66hz (the sub). After half an hour of work (in the middle of the night) I then really felt strange, it'S not like an usual bass-drone. But I don't know why. Sorry. To say the famous sentence: "It just works" hehe.

But if you sonsider that the gregorian chorals were singing in the solfeggio tones for a long time and then it was changed to 440hz brings me to the point that there must be something behind this. All of existance is based on frequencies and it seems that some of them are more important than others. Defintetely worth a deeper investigation...

fisto

Post by fisto » Mon May 09, 2011 10:21 pm

just found this video.
maybe worth a try :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owhx6wIv ... dded#at=63

dsu

Post by dsu » Mon May 09, 2011 10:28 pm

Interest in the spiritual elements of music and sound have been around for hundreds if not thousands of years. Apparently in one Chinese dynasty the court ordered a standardized tuning. A short and interesting article on the history of tuning in western music is at http://www.schillerinstitute.org/music/ ... _hist.html

There are actually two issues involved - mapping a note to a specific frequency and then constructing scale from that note. It seems the Perfect Circle folks are just resetting the frequency for A. The instrument would still play a equal tempered 12 note scale and there are many people who take exception to that.

There is no universal reason to divide an octave into 12 parts unless it is part of the instrument design i.e. a keyboard. The American composer Harry Partch built his own instruments to transcend the limits of 12 equally spaced semi-tone scale. There are many other scales in use around the world.

Music has also been closely tied to colour and example of a composer is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Scriabin.

Parallel to this topic is the idea that certain keys have specific emotional resonances.

The suggestion of the Perfect Circle folks that they have discovered secret to higher mystical states seems suspect. Not that I reject the idea of higher states of consciousness or enlightenment. I suppose in the pursuit of enlightenment retuning you instrument is a lot healthier than taking drugs. :)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 09, 2011 10:30 pm

so off key karaoke, poorly tuned instruments and poorly made instruments should sound better?
<sarcasm>

not all of them but the one off guitar that won't tune up correctly. "this guitar sucks when I try to tune it, but man <inhale> when I play it <exhale> <cough> it just takes me way out there man."
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon May 09, 2011 10:41 pm

Tone Deft wrote:so off key karaoke, poorly tuned instruments and poorly made instruments should sound better?
<sarcasm>

not all of them but the one off guitar that won't tune up correctly. "this guitar sucks when I try to tune it, but man <inhale> when I play it <exhale> <cough> it just takes me way out there man."
Exactly. The difference between a guitar tuned to a444 rather than a440 is hardly noticeable. Een tuning by ear will be off by a few hz. Strange that they decided eventually that A should be 440 though, thus throwing off all the classic diatonic frequencies by a few hz.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 09, 2011 10:59 pm

I love the stuff he has for sale in the left pane:
Healing Codes for the Biological Apocalypse ($50!)
&
Korg CA-30 Chromatic Tuner
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue May 10, 2011 2:19 am

Tone Deft wrote:I love the stuff he has for sale in the left pane:
Healing Codes for the Biological Apocalypse ($50!)
&
Korg CA-30 Chromatic Tuner
:lol:

I've also heard that some people tune A440 down to 432. Apparently the diatonic scales resulting from this have some natural vibration to do with the Fibonacci sequence. I don't doubt that some frequencies may have some kind of impact on us. That difference that would result from this particular change would actually be a little more significant than up-tuning 4 hz. ah who knows. You can't really do this kind of subjective test anyways because the placebo affect would be too strong.