Filter plugin w/variable filter type LP/BP/HP blend?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
icedsushi

Filter plugin w/variable filter type LP/BP/HP blend?

Post by icedsushi » Mon May 09, 2011 11:32 pm

Moving on since development for FXpansion Guru was discontinued & the upgrade/transition from Guru to Geist would be just as time consuming as switching to something else. There's a lot of things that I liked about Guru, the workflow & FX, but I decided to use drum racks instead for simplicity & less dealing with plugin compatibility issues & bug reports. I also have Maschine, so I think maintaining, upgrading & learning Geist in addition to those 2 would be redundant on some levels.

There are only a few things I miss about Guru and they're some of the effects, particularly the filters & compressors. If I could replace those with something similar, I'm all set.

The Guru filters have a knob where the filter type was continuously blendable between LP/BP/HP. Combined with resonance, all those settings sweeping in between the filter types really yielded a lot of killer unique tones. Is there any filter plugin for Mac that has that feature I could replace the effect with.

The compressors in Guru really have more of a quick smack to them for percussion at the same db levels than other compressors. With much detailed tweaking, I haven't been able to achieve the same type of effect with the Ableton compressor, Sonalksis SV-315, Sonalksis TB3, or Vintage Warmer.

Any suggestions on FX similar to the filters & compression in Guru?

Khazul

Re: Filter plugin w/variable filter type LP/BP/HP blend?

Post by Khazul » Tue May 10, 2011 12:40 am

Sampler has a sort of state variable filter in it.
Mode 1 on live's compressor can be very clicky as well.
Nothing to see here - move along!

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Tue May 10, 2011 3:00 am

Couldn't you come close to the setup in Guru by making an fx group of 4 AutoFilters with LP/BP & HP/BP volume(s) assigned to macros? If you flip the min/max on the BP filters' volume you could blend the LP/BP or HP/BP amount, no? It's 2 knobs instead of one but should be similar in results, I think...

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Tue May 10, 2011 3:07 am

I'll also add that I think this is pretty simple to setup in Zebrify and you get a nice selection of filters. However, you have to own U-he's Zebra to get Zebrify (which is free to owners). And yes it does work on the Mac.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Tue May 10, 2011 11:11 am

Khazul wrote:Sampler has a sort of state variable filter in it.
I have Sampler & I'm only able to select the filter type with a drop down menu. It has more filters than Simpler but there's no blend function that I can see. Am I missing something?

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue May 10, 2011 11:26 am

use the M12db, M24db or the SVF filters and fiddle around with Morph (underneath the filter selector)

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Tue May 10, 2011 12:06 pm

OK, I'll try that & see how I make out. Any other filter or compressor plugins I could try?

Just sold Zebra unfortunately, so Zebrify isn't an option.

bodo

Post by bodo » Tue May 10, 2011 12:47 pm

PSP N2O has got a great SVF with 'morphing' function, very tweakable too!
As far as compressors go, The Glue is pretty snappy, just an overall decent compressor.

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Tue May 10, 2011 9:41 pm

Volcano has been my filter of choice for the last 6 mos, LOVE IT

arbee

Post by arbee » Tue May 10, 2011 9:45 pm

the u-he uhbik bundle contains a really really nice filter called "runciter". it can actually use the LP / HP / BP at the same time. it might do the trick for you ?? have a look...

the whole bundle is pretty amazing if you ask me !

necho

Post by necho » Tue May 10, 2011 9:48 pm

^ +1

I'm hopelessly addicted to the Uhbik bundle. The Runciter is one of my favourite plugins ever.
_________
sigs suck.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Wed May 11, 2011 4:00 am

I'm a Runciter fan as well, but... How would you set it up to act like the control in Guru? I was able to do it in Zebrify by setting up 3 filters and linking them to an x/y pad to adjust the amount of each (even though I know this is not exactly the same as an SVF). I'm not sure how you could set up one control to mimic that behavior with Runciter though.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Wed May 11, 2011 2:49 pm

Khazul wrote:Sampler has a sort of state variable filter in it.
garyboozy wrote:use the M12db, M24db or the SVF filters and fiddle around with Morph (underneath the filter selector)
OK, so I've been A/B'ing some of these ideas comparing with Guru & the Sampler morph function mentioned seems to get the closest of anything so far! It's not exactly the same, but it has the single control that blends between the 3 filter types so I definitely think I can work with this!

Also tried the N2O filters, but it's not really the same sound because there are 2 cutoffs with independent controls. It's a different sound than having a single cutoff frequency with a blend control. (Guess you could link the frequencies somehow with the assignable knobs.) Anyway, the N2O filters are really cool for other things but I didn't think it got close to the filter sound in Guru. Runciter looks to have 3 knobs instead of one blend making it flexible, but probably even more complicated. I demoed Uhbik twice & it's good but I wasn't really wild about the whole package compared to what I have.

Ableton compressor however isn't quite cutting it for this use. Using model FF1 as suggested, I get get a little closer with the clickiness, but I think I need to find a more "effect" sounding type compressor plugin that's more obvious, raw & lo-fi. I have Vintage Warmer, Mastercomp, SV315, TB3 and so far these don't really get there when I compare them side by side with Guru. Also tried Machine's compressors which are pretty decent but don't seem to give quite the same punch at the attack.

I think if Ohm Force made a compressor I'd be all over that. Any other ideas of punchy non-transparent compressors? :wink:

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Wed May 11, 2011 4:34 pm

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Wed May 11, 2011 5:00 pm

Not yet, haven't heard of that one before.

Also does anyone know how to get a true AHR envelope for percussion sounds with Simpler or sampler? You can get kind of close in Sampler by setting the decay slope to -100% but the envelope doesn't quite look or sound like a true 100% hold so I'm not sure it's really the same thing.