Sonimus Satson console emulation - great AND cheap

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dazzer

Sonimus Satson console emulation - great AND cheap

Post by dazzer » Tue May 10, 2011 3:20 am

Just a small heads up. Slap it on every channel, bus and master. $39. Low CPU. Seems cool to me.

Here:

http://dsp.sonimus.com/products/satson/

And discussion here:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-prod ... ation.html

fisto

Re: Sonimus Satson console emulation - great AND cheap

Post by fisto » Tue May 10, 2011 5:10 pm

thx for sharing. Saw it also on the reaper-forum and think that I will check it out. Sounds promising.
Also I found a cool free compressor in the thread:

the link if you haven't seen it:
http://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/molot/

Cheers

marra

Post by marra » Tue May 10, 2011 6:03 pm

dazzer wrote:Just a small heads up. Slap it on every channel, bus and master. $39. Low CPU. Seems cool to me.

Here:

http://dsp.sonimus.com/products/satson/

And discussion here:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-prod ... ation.html
Could you please share with us a before and after? Since there's no demo to try out.

Thanks.

fisto

Post by fisto » Tue May 10, 2011 6:06 pm

just in case you guys missed the awesome plugins of Bootsy:
http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/

Just killa plugs & free & analog emulation & waaaaaaaaaa :)

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Tue May 10, 2011 6:34 pm

i saw this too and was tempted cuz i keep seeing problems with VCC on the KVR forum.. I haven't heard this plug or the VCC cuz of the ILOK2 demo requirment but it's great that they can get us close to that analog sound since many of us can't obviously afford the real stuff. Went to a studio a couple of weeks where stevie wonder recorded some albums and the engineer took time to show me a few things.. One was a SSL 4000 which blew me away along with other things like a real plate verb and all the other things that UAD emulates. Emulations are great but I guess if you haven't heard or worked with the real stuff, you wouldn't know what your missing. I guess that was his main point. But i also think that the average listener probably wouldn't know either because after all, it's about the song in the end.. but yeah, i still have hardware dreams.. lately i've been dreaming about a Burl B2 ADC.. a while back, i didn't think too much of converters until I got a summing box with which just happens to have a great DAC.. wow.. a big difference.. while i probably will never have a full blown console, it's still feasible to get at least 2 pristine channels of outboard stuff..

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Tue May 10, 2011 6:36 pm

fisto wrote:just in case you guys missed the awesome plugins of Bootsy:
http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/

Just killa plugs & free & analog emulation & waaaaaaaaaa :)
very nice.. but WTF :?: no MAC versions :x

fisto

Post by fisto » Tue May 10, 2011 7:17 pm

that's one reason why I love beeing on windows in the studio :mrgreen:
But i feel your pain, cause these plug ins are really great. Sorry man :)

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Tue May 10, 2011 11:49 pm

marra: no demo but lots of ppl posting examples in the thread I posted

nuxnamon: for Mac theres also a nice free eq on sonimus site

I bought SatSon on a late nite impulse. To my ears the saturation sounds nice and it's got a nice pair of filters.
Theres also a thread on KVR Effects where mercado-negrO made a brilliant how-to explanation.

SatSaon sounds good to me and no iLock. Gotta love that. Instant mojo.

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Wed May 11, 2011 5:34 am

great plugin. i got it just as i was finishing this mix, so i probably wasn't using it 100% correctly..

http://soundcloud.com/deccan-traps/the-highest-sky

niksG

Post by niksG » Wed May 11, 2011 5:52 am

Satson is a Plugin designed to emulate the workflow of the consoles on your computer and get better and fastest mixes.
It has a VU meter carefully modelled and calibrated, high quality high-pass and low-pass filters and analog console like saturation (includes stereo crosstalk).

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Wed May 11, 2011 7:19 am

I'm really tempted to buy it.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Wed May 11, 2011 7:44 am

apparently there will be a demo soon.

copy/paste from marco's post on kvr -

'Try 3 things if you own SatSon already.

A)
Load an old mix, remove all plug-ins (except VSTi's, if any), set your track faders at 0dB, insert a SatSon Channel in each track (in pre-fader inserts) and pull their gains down to -24dB (in the back panel of all SatSon Channels you'll find a switch called "Super Gain", turn it on: this will change the gain range from +/- 18dB to +/-24dB). If you have busses then add a SatSon Buss in each. Now add a SatSon Buss in your Master track.

OK, now focus on your drums, mute everything else. Start with the kick, mute the rest of your drums elements. Open the SatSon instance you inserted in this track, and while playing your mix, go moving its gain up until you feel you've reached a good level but always stay away from the red area in SatSon's meters, keep it below 0VU for now. Now do the same with the rest of your drums elements, unmute one by one and move their SatSon's gain up until you've reached a good level. Do the same with the rest of your mix until you've balanced all levels. If you need to compensate something because +24dB isn't enough (or -24dB is too much) just use your tracks faders.

Now you're done with Gain Staging. Start mixing now Smile Add all your processors after SatSon (keep SatSon in the first slot, always). Bear in mind that if you have a dynamics processor in your chain, any change in SatSon's gain will affect it (in this case the output compensation is useless since it will destroy your gain staging at this point). In this scenario you're using SatSon for gain staging and some sort of console mojo, that's all. At this point you can't move its gain anymore (or at least, you shouldn't).

B)
Load that old mix again, remove all plug-ins (except VSTi's, if any), pull all your tracks faders all the way down and start leveling your mix with them. Do not insert SatSon at this point. Once you've leveled your mix insert a SatSon Channel in each track (pre-fader insert) and turn the "Output Compensation" on (also insert SatSon Busses in your busses and Master Track). Move their gains up or down, one by one, until you hear something you like (some people call it 'find the sweet spot of the console'). You'll hear more or less saturation, punch, 'fullness', depth, etc., etc.

Once you're done with each channel, start adding your processors after each SatSon or before (since "Output Compensation" is on, it doesn't matter where you place it because it won't alter the gain staging but bear in mind that things will sound different depending on where you put it since all that saturation, punch, etc., will modify the input of your processors). In this scenario you're using SatSon as some sort of console mojo, that's all.

C)
Load that mix once again, remove all plug-ins (except VSTi's, if any), set your track faders at 0dB, insert a SatSon Channel in each track and SatSon busses in your busses and Master track (in pre-fader inserts) and start leveling your mix with their gain. In some cases you'll need to compensate levels with your tracks faders because you added too much gain within SatSon for some reason (maybe you wanted to go get close to 0VU but it sounded too loud). Once you're done just insert all processors before SatSon. In this scenario all those processors will modify SatSon't behavior, making things more interesting since the way it reacts to dynamics/frequencies is great (like working in a real console where any small change in dynamics/levels/frequencies makes a big difference). Here you can push SatSon harder if you want and compensate with your tracks faders. With this approach you can use SatSon's gain as your track faders (like in a real console where every bit of gain modifies the way the console sounds/react... unlike DAWs faders where everything is clean). This is the method I use because as you can see it's much more fun and interesting. You can put mixes together in a couple of hours with this approach since things don't fall apart and everything is flowing through a coherent path where 'gain' is the difference between a solid or weak mix.'

Dominga

Post by Dominga » Fri May 20, 2011 11:40 pm

I use it all the time. Love it.

jrathkopf

Post by jrathkopf » Wed May 25, 2011 4:28 am

anyone compare it to harrison mixbus? I have mibus, it sounds great, but a bit of a pain to use jack or bouncing out stems.

Dynamostar

Post by Dynamostar » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:21 pm

It has been upgraded and has some pretty good new features, check it out