DJs - Top feature requests for LIVE 9...

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
condra

DJs - Top feature requests for LIVE 9...

Post by condra » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:59 pm

DJs making requests, for a change!

Hey Abes. :D

The gang over at ALDJ got together to compile a list of the most important feature requests DJs have for Live 9.
http://www.abletonlivedj.com/forum/view ... =2&t=27626

Here, in summary, are some top requests from DJs who use Live...

More visual info..

Dual (or multiple) waveform Display
Dual Screen support.

Improvements to the browser! - LET US BE SPONTANIOUS!

Less use of mouse and more scope for spontaneity.
Browse and import samples from the browser using QWERTY or (better yet) MIDI
Colour-code files in browser. Information on BPM, Key, Genre etc..

WAVEFORM

Colored warp markers!!
Text on warp markers
Text notes in waveform view (so you can write "breakdown," "verse one," "mix here," etc.)
Ability to "highlight" waveforms
Multiple loop brackets
Multiple "hot-key" stlye start points.

Multi Effects Device

A device which competes with the likes of Lucifer and Artillary II.
.....A MIDI controllable, multi-effects device (looping, reversing, filtering etc) that could be inserted into an audio track as an effect. (and possibly armed for midi without the need for an extra midi track in the mixer)

Support for HDMIDI, and OSC.

Meters that can switch between RMS/Peak
Accurate RMS meter for all channels and not just the peak indicators

Improvements to follow actions. Make them more flexible.

The return of the time line on the waveform in clip view

also, very importantly - LESS MOUSING!

-----

We want to be able to DJ - MOUSE FREE!

Other things mentioned were...

Better video support and VJ features.

Better iTunes integration, ID3 Tag Support

EQ3 with Transparent Sound.

More clip colours to choose from

Improvements to warping and looping, especially automatic warping.
Better 1st beat detection!!
Contextual menu-- ‘Delete all warp markers’

"Heads Up Display" for control surfaces.

*2 /2 buttons for loop length for CDJ/Traktor style looping.

Slice to midi into one drumrack, with the new slice overwriting the previous. AKA, live beat juggling with launchpad.

Yellow line for warp markers displayed in the clip overview to help with mix points, i.e. not just the yellow box / triangle on the top of the waveform but also a vertical yellow line displayed so you can see when to trigger your next WAV (as in Live 7)

Ability to increase the size of a waveform without effecting it’s relative volume

Please don't forget about us DJs!
Last edited by condra on Thu May 12, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bagatell

Re: DJs - Top feature requests for LIVE 9...

Post by Bagatell » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:58 am

Please god let it have something that stops any requests for Live 10.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:44 pm

No other ideas then??

Cheers
D

condra

Post by condra » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:24 pm

drdrt wrote:
1. Would be nice to see a means to auto highlight every 8 or 16 markers (or whatever user wants) for a visual reference at quick glance...

2. Color tinting over wav forms would be awesome visual as well... for example, if I mark m9 and next marker is m17 i could apply a tint to that chunk (m9-16), say blue and every chunk I apply blue tint to is a quick reference of where the verse is... songs may have all kinds of chunk tinting... super easy way to know whats what instead of having to listen...

willrjmarshall

Post by willrjmarshall » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:10 am

More advanced MIDI mapping.

We need:
  • To change the exact response curve (linear, log, asymptotic, etc)
    To switch between toggle and momentary controls.
    To be able to do subranges more easily (e.g. 0 - 120 = linear, 120+ = 0).
    To use MIDI notes w/ Aftertouch and Velocity and be able to use the aftertouch and velocity for FX expression
    More things MIDI-mappable (e.g. drum rack overviews, the file browser).

maxgraham

Post by maxgraham » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:26 pm

Multiple loop points would be great! i hate that i can only draw in one loop at a time. i loop the start
and the end of my tracks a lot so a pre saved loop point at each end would really help
thanks

lanno

Post by lanno » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:54 am

+1

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:45 pm

maxgraham wrote:Multiple loop points would be great! i hate that i can only draw in one loop at a time. i loop the start
and the end of my tracks a lot so a pre saved loop point at each end would really help
thanks
Just finishing this off in M4L, with it you'll be able to draw loops into the clip envelopes....

Cheers
D

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:34 pm

And now it's finished....

http://vimeo.com/16087388

At the most basic level you can set loops of a defined length and then halve and double them (works on preset loops as well)

But additionally you could also set a loop in the standard way but draw in another emergency end of clip loop giving you two loops per clip (you could have as many as you like but i thought this would be the most practical useage!)

Oh and when you've finished looping you can also have a follow action of again, below, a clip number, random, first or last with a time delay before the next clip is triggered if you like, all can be chosen with clip envelopes in each clip....

Cheers
D

ps please keep the ideas on this thread coming, they are acting as great inspiration to me!

m2w

Post by m2w » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:17 am

Hi guys Marcus Wortley here,

after trying to come back to music over the last 4 years and then repeatedly getting pulled back awol due to my mothers cancer I only really managed to look at the board and not spend a great deal of time in Live (pretty hard to work inside of headphone with a sick lady in the next room () though I did get to beta Live 8 for a week 2 years in in my 3+ year Hiatus. Only now after my mothers passing I have now spent the last 3 months fully returned to music and spent some hardcore time inside of our favourite DAW, this will be my first feedback post since then so please go easy on me haha.

Hi to anyone who remembers me, some may remember me as the Ex- Editor of AbletonLiveDj and a Ableton artist back from 2005-2007, during that time I worked with PioneerProDJ beta testing the DJM800 and Focusrite/Novation beta testing automap and creating the first DJ templates for the Remote SL. Its great to see how far the program have bloomed further into a fully fledged DAW, anyway thats enough about me here is my feedback,

First off I subscribe to all of Condra's feedback that has been built up over at ALDJ and on here via the DJ community and listed, I may echo some but then I also may hopefully I can add to these a little:

'Warp back from here' on all warp methods (BPM/Straight/Start at xxxbpm/warp at xxxbpm), if you can work out a way to give us the facility to add time to the start of a sample/track them then re-render the original and 'save' and the option to 'save as', that would be awesomesauce!

Fader Slope control on the Channel fader like we have on the X-Fader, you know it makes sense!

Modular Sample Editor/Clip/Launch/Envelopes For each channel think acting like plug in windows that you can place anywhere on the screen of on a 2nd screen, with option for dual side by side waveforms.

The option to set the default warp mode in prefs as Complex Pro.

* Production request* Arrange and Session view viewable on two screens (one each) - You won't wanna do this I know haha! - I would just like better metering while mixing down in arrange view.

Artwork display in the browser (scaled down) and the ability to display Mac or Windows colour markings on files.

More clip colours to choose from particularly for those of us who use modded dark screens so we can see the text better.

Scripted algorithm designed to auto Set Clip/track to 0db peak after the application of all warping methods.

The ability to move live's 'info view' to propagate above the Clip/Sample & Envelope display as well as the normal left or a combo of both as there can be a fair amount of unused screen in Session View.

In terms of Looping, do what you Abes have always done take a pre-existing idea and put you're own original spin on it, I suggest maybe have a new 'Loop tab' that is separate from the 'Sample display', have there say 3 or even 4 'loop switches' and then have each of these with the present 'loop controls', but also give us the ability to midi map the 'loop' braces and to set the increments in musical ways like other DJ software but take it further even finer sub-divisions, so it can be applied to production not only DJ use, after all a lot of us now use Live as we just don't leave it, ever lol!

Give us a Neon Clock in the top bar (props to my buddy Max Graham on that one (I asked for neon haha), O yea let us chance the colour naturally \0)

Let us que through none-warped samples/tracks in the wave display

*update from the ALDJ forums* Let us disable/Lock/Remap the Spacebar

Lastly don't make us have to only click on the top half on the waveform to give us a time increment display, give us the option to display it at the bottom.

Thanks Abes, lots of love from the UK

Paper Samurai

P.s this is an old account, pain killers kicked in haha.

condra

Post by condra » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:28 pm

One last bump

deevey

Post by deevey » Thu May 12, 2011 2:41 pm

My List :)

1. Better Midi Mapping of many core DJ functions prefer not to need to touch the keyboard or mouse at all.
a) Transpose to cent values (really annoys me)
b) Rev / Quantize functions to midi rather than keymap (I swap between them often).
c) Browsing
d) Unloading clips

2. "Start from Blank" keymapping (option to remove ALL shortcuts).

3. Multiple scrolling waveforms displayed.

4. Itunes / playlist integration - this would be useful for everyone and not just DJ's IMHO & of course midi mappable browsing.

5. Option of "Locking" playing clips (new clip on same channel can't play unless old one is actually stopped).

6. Nudge / Beatjump on tracks not locked to quantize and midi assignable 32/16/8/4/2/1/ beats +-
Allow this nudge function on stopped clips (for correct cueing)

7. Clip funtions via midi WITHOUT clip highlight.

8. Multiple Cue points for jumping within the same clip to avoid needing 5 clips of the same track "parts" taking up valuable screen realestate.

dagon

Post by dagon » Sat May 14, 2011 7:29 am

How about being able to open up two songs in one project? Dj'ing whole songs and not just clips!!!

I have always wanted this so so badly.
"A good song can survive almost any production process"

deevey

Post by deevey » Sat May 14, 2011 4:24 pm

oh and PLEASE headphone Cue/Master mix .. Know it can be done with some creative chaining and mapping, but its a pretty simple feature to have as standard and would sure make using IEM's easier.
How about being able to open up two songs in one project? Dj'ing whole songs and not just clips!!!
Whats the problem with dj'ing entire songs ?

dagon

Post by dagon » Mon May 16, 2011 12:47 am

deevey wrote:oh and PLEASE headphone Cue/Master mix .. Know it can be done with some creative chaining and mapping, but its a pretty simple feature to have as standard and would sure make using IEM's easier.
Whats the problem with dj'ing entire songs ?
I was saying that I want to be able to load two whole different projects (songs), at a time and crossfade between the two. I prefer to think this way instead of crossfading between the A and B channels in one project. It would be like having 2 big slots for projects and you could switch them out like records. Right now that requires two computers and a mixer on stage. Many people have to do this.
"A good song can survive almost any production process"