Some website-ish help

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Griogair

Some website-ish help

Post by Griogair » Fri May 13, 2011 9:42 pm

I don't really know who else to ask as I don't have an account with any website forums...

I am helping my mum throw a quick website up. I'm using 000webhost as a free testing ground and even considered keeping the site there as it's fairly non-restrictive for free hosting.

My only problem is I dont know how to get it to stop defaulting to minus the www. (e.e. google.com versus www.google.com)

I don't know whether 000webhost defaults to that or if it's a problem with how I have redirected the nameserver.

Any geeks out there play with their own websites could be of help?

Much appreciated! :)
I wish I had a cool website to add here...

ollyb303

Re: Some website-ish help

Post by ollyb303 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:07 pm

Will be down to dns/host headers - if you can give more detail, i can help. Is the server windows or Linux, IIS or Apache? How are you redirecting?
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri May 13, 2011 10:10 pm

all web addresses should have www before them. not having it is... sort of a hack. like ollyb303 said though... its on the host. so you'll have to check your settings with 000webhost.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Griogair

Post by Griogair » Fri May 13, 2011 10:56 pm

Cheers dudes.

So the redirect is from netfirms. Just changed the netfirms domain options to read 000webhosts name servers in the control panel. e.g.1 ns1 ns2

I think it muct be to do with 000webhost then. It runs a rather limited version of cpanel so can only presume that they set it as minus the www.

Here is one of my sandboxes I used to play with wordpress and opencart. If you click through links or even insert www. into them, you will see it pretty swiftly dissapears!

http://www.demostore.comule.com

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Sat May 14, 2011 7:08 am

It's using subdomains. Notice that your URLs have several dots in them - this is due to the subdomains. In fact, subdomains should not include the www. It's not a hack, it's how subdomains work. The only address on that domain which actually should include the www is www.comule.com.

I'm curious as to why it bothers you...?
ob1techno.com

Griogair

Post by Griogair » Mon May 16, 2011 7:04 pm

ollyb303 wrote:It's using subdomains. Notice that your URLs have several dots in them - this is due to the subdomains. In fact, subdomains should not include the www. It's not a hack, it's how subdomains work. The only address on that domain which actually should include the www is http://www.comule.com.

I'm curious as to why it bothers you...?
Cheers Olly.

Erm, well as you probably guessed, I don't have a lot of experience with hosting or developing. I only noticed this happening for the first time whilst paying close attention to my Mum's domain. I couldn't google something that would explain why it happened and I guess the frustration of not being able to change it in any way got to me. I went to somewhere like youtube for example and saw that their site had www. throughout and as I wanted it to be really good for mumsy I was trying to gain the same continuity. You are right. It doesn't really matter. It was just one of those things I noticed and couldn't stop noticing!

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:23 am

:D
ob1techno.com