For All Mac Users

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
neuronaut

Post by neuronaut » Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:43 pm

How can you measure this accurately? You're missing out variables that make a huge difference:
-Doesn't it matter what's being played on each track? 16 bit? 24 bit? Hi-Res?
- Doesn't it matter how many open IN/OUT ports you have on?
- etc....
Last edited by neuronaut on Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world is sound.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:58 am

thanks for your reply neuronaut, but we are not trying to measure anything accurately, we are trying to give people a realworld ballpark figure of what they might be able to achieve if they purchase one of the systems listed up above that other Live users already have.
the thread is spot on, and does way more than performance test demo song bench marks.

neuronaut

Post by neuronaut » Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:51 am

ok... sorry to bother you guys...

I run a PowerBook G3 400 Mhz and it bogs at about 10 tracks.
The world is sound.

Post by guest » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:12 pm

i have never been able to max out live with my 800mhz powerbook. but i can get the cpu meter to about half or 3/4ths the way full if i add alot of reverb affects to large files.

neuronaut

Post by neuronaut » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:24 pm

ummm.. i've been told it doesn't matter for this thread... but these numbers can vary according to how many inputs and outputs are being used...

there seem to be two bottlenecks, which will vary from system to system:
CPU: The CPU meter in Live doesn't have to hit 100% to have issues.... i get problems at about 80%...

Disk speed: this would indicate that drive speed, fragmentation and even disk block size become the bottleneck (especially on the slower drives)

if you've got SCSI 2 or 3 or whatever they call it now, then you'll never have problems here, and hence the bottleneck will become CPU...

the 5400 rpms are the ones to watch out for.... I ended up upgrading my laptop's drive to a 60 GIG at the faster speed (i forgot what the speed is)

hope this helps :)
The world is sound.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:21 pm

so what kind of track count are you getting on your 800mhz ibook? and how much ram do you have+ what's the sound card your using?

hey neuro how much was that drive you bought? I didn't know there was a laptop drive that was faster than 5400, must've been expensive..

neuronaut

Post by neuronaut » Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:23 pm

hmmm. i had to refresh my memory on the powerbook drives thing: 2.5" drives are hard to find above 5400...

- slow drives are 4200rpm
- the highest i could find searching was that 5400 rpm
The world is sound.