Possibly get some feedback on my mix down?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nephew

Possibly get some feedback on my mix down?

Post by Nephew » Mon May 16, 2011 7:34 pm

If at all possible, think a couple of you guys could give my tune a listen and give me some feedback on my mix down? Would be very much appreciated, and if there's any glaring "mistakes" point them out?

Cheers guys and thanks,

http://soundcloud.com/jason-bay/jason-bay-back-at-it

mihai

Re: Possibly get some feedback on my mix down?

Post by mihai » Mon May 16, 2011 8:11 pm

overall it sounds good, the kick has a little bit more boom than i usually prefer but good job.
percussion sounds really nice.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon May 16, 2011 8:22 pm

Yeah, it's pretty boomy on the low end, you could know a couple dB off below 80Hz on the kick and still be slamming. Only other crit I have is a pet peeve of mine, your percussion and drum loops are flamming here and there and not all lined up. Makes an otherwise tight drum track sound a bit sloppy IMO.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

drchoc

Post by drchoc » Mon May 16, 2011 8:46 pm

sounds great on my monitors 8)

nice mood to the track as well

Nephew

Post by Nephew » Mon May 16, 2011 8:51 pm

Tarekith wrote:Only other crit I have is a pet peeve of mine, your percussion and drum loops are flamming here and there and not all lined up. Makes an otherwise tight drum track sound a bit sloppy IMO.
Recorded those live while jamming out on my Maschine, and tried not to quantize them. Maybe I'll go back and actually quantize them and see how it feels.

As for the kick, I added a sub kick in there and tried to make it some what tight with out losing the "umph". Or it could be my monitors that's throwing me off, and by that I mean lack of monitors. = /

Much appreciated guys, at least I know I'm on the right track now!

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon May 16, 2011 9:07 pm

Tarekith wrote:Yeah, it's pretty boomy on the low end, you could know a couple dB off below 80Hz on the kick and still be slamming. Only other crit I have is a pet peeve of mine, your percussion and drum loops are flamming here and there and not all lined up. Makes an otherwise tight drum track sound a bit sloppy IMO.
you are the mastering guy?

on my system your hihats blow my eardrums..you cant play such a mix on huge systems without beeing sewed by the people that loose theire hearing that night... painfull..

for the lowend it really goes to deep..there is more around 20730 hz than in the 50 to 80 regionn.. and its over compressed allready..when you give such a mix to a mastering they will kill it.. so more sensible equing in the higs or/and less level on your highat hits..
in general the 8-10 k are to strong somehow and ..when you want to add air the highshelf should boos higher or you add some notches for the nastys.

And less compression an the drums.. the dont kick anymore .just umpf umpf umpf.... a low cut on the kick at 30-40 hz and a litlle boost at 60 to 80 hz instead ..maybe that allready clears the compresion factor... the compressor should be eq sidechained so that it rects less on low ferquecies.. a lowshelf with -6 db at 160 hz is usuaally just wright...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Nephew

Post by Nephew » Mon May 16, 2011 10:47 pm

3phase wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Yeah, it's pretty boomy on the low end, you could know a couple dB off below 80Hz on the kick and still be slamming. Only other crit I have is a pet peeve of mine, your percussion and drum loops are flamming here and there and not all lined up. Makes an otherwise tight drum track sound a bit sloppy IMO.
you are the mastering guy?

on my system your hihats blow my eardrums..you cant play such a mix on huge systems without beeing sewed by the people that loose theire hearing that night... painfull..

for the lowend it really goes to deep..there is more around 20730 hz than in the 50 to 80 regionn.. and its over compressed allready..when you give such a mix to a mastering they will kill it.. so more sensible equing in the higs or/and less level on your highat hits..
in general the 8-10 k are to strong somehow and ..when you want to add air the highshelf should boos higher or you add some notches for the nastys.

And less compression an the drums.. the dont kick anymore .just umpf umpf umpf.... a low cut on the kick at 30-40 hz and a litlle boost at 60 to 80 hz instead ..maybe that allready clears the compresion factor... the compressor should be eq sidechained so that it rects less on low ferquecies.. a lowshelf with -6 db at 160 hz is usuaally just wright...

Thanks for the input, I'll go back and try the frequency ranges you suggested and dial it in from there and see how it sounds.

mihai

Post by mihai » Tue May 17, 2011 12:55 am

3phase sometimes puts a smile on my face.

Nx1

Post by Nx1 » Tue May 17, 2011 5:05 am

lol. 3phase and his pretentious posts.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue May 17, 2011 8:47 am

Nx1 wrote:lol. 3phase and his pretentious posts.

pretentious? have you listened to the mix? on a serious 90 db level please..and have another opinion? than share that with us...otherwise shut up you ¢¨©y “?¢ ?¿ ? ø?ºª© ??º©?ƒªªº?@? :!:

mihai

Post by mihai » Tue May 17, 2011 6:39 pm

*laughing out loud*

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed May 18, 2011 5:22 pm

mihai wrote:*laughing out loud*

you generic trance pseudos are really a pest

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed May 18, 2011 8:50 pm

3phase wrote:on my system your hihats blow my eardrums..you cant play such a mix on huge systems without beeing sewed by the people that loose theire hearing that night... painfull..

I didnt listen to the mix, and I cant mix for shit.. But when you ask for feedback and get a reply like this^....., I would say you just hit the feedback-jackpot.

Its like every god damn post 3phase replies to, some dick has to be a smart-ass.
Are you all fu..ing 11 years old??

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:01 pm

Rabalder wrote:
3phase wrote:on my system your hihats blow my eardrums..you cant play such a mix on huge systems without beeing sewed by the people that loose theire hearing that night... painfull..

I didnt listen to the mix, and I cant mix for shit.. But when you ask for feedback and get a reply like this^....., I would say you just hit the feedback-jackpot.

Its like every god damn post 3phase replies to, some dick has to be a smart-ass.
yeah, except for insulting tarekith, this is some great feedback. in fact, a lot of phases' posts are at least somewhat helpful if you can get past the saltiness and insults.
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Wed May 18, 2011 9:07 pm

memes_33 wrote:
Rabalder wrote:

yeah, except for insulting tarekith, this is some great feedback. in fact, a lot of phases' posts are at least somewhat helpful if you can get past the saltiness and insults.
+1
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad