Mac Users: A little IAC/Midi help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
UncleAge

Mac Users: A little IAC/Midi help

Post by UncleAge » Mon May 16, 2011 4:35 pm

Please note that I have already sent a request into Ableton's technical support concerning this issue. I just thought that while I wait for an official response from Ableton I might find an answer from someone who has already tackled this issue. In addition, I have already searched the support forum and I only got two hits and neither were about my issue.

I am using OSX 10.6.4 on an iMac i7/4GB - Live 8.2.2 (though this occurred in previous point versions as well)

My issue is that Live will sometimes stop processing midi from the IAC buss. Live is acknowledging the incoming midi via the Midi Track In Indicator in the upper right-hand corner. However, there isn't any activity at the track level with midi data.

This problem seems to only occur after I put the computer to sleep and re-awaken the computer. If I warm/cold boot the system the problem goes away. I should note that simply restarting Live will not dismiss this problem. Also, I have checked the preferences in Live as well as the Audio/MIDI pref's in OSX. I am certain that I have the I/O routing at the track level setup correctly as well. The two main things that have led me to believe it's a Live issue is that:

1. The indicator is signaling that there is incoming midi data.
2. My other two hosts (Reaper & Studio One) are able to process this data. And by this I mean that when the problem occurs in Live I can shut Live down, start up another host and the IAC stream is handled with no problem.

Number two leads me to think that the problem is not the IAC buss needing a reset of sorts.

So has anyone else had this problem and if so did you find a way to resolve the issue short of a reboot?

broc

Re: Mac Users: A little IAC/Midi help

Post by broc » Mon May 16, 2011 8:07 pm

The IAC/Live issue is known and has been discussed on several threads, here is a recent one.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137143

I'm using IAC in many configurations and can confirm that the problem occurs only with Live.
So it's apparently a bug in Live, but seems not reproducible in a consistent way.
For example, I've just checked that it does *not* happen for me when putting the computer to sleep.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Mon May 16, 2011 8:56 pm

broc, thanks for that link to the thread I obviously missed :oops:

Hopefully all who have come across the problem have passed the necessary info to Ableton.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon May 16, 2011 9:17 pm

UncleAge wrote:broc, thanks for that link to the thread I obviously missed :oops:

Hopefully all who have come across the problem have passed the necessary info to Ableton.
yeah.. the will fix that one day.. maybe next year..maybe later..

in the time inbetween you might stopp your computer from going to the sleep state.. there are some free apps or terminal commands that can disable that...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Mon May 16, 2011 10:31 pm

Actually I put it to sleep on purpose using the apple icon in the upper toolbar. However, you're response got me thinking about if there is a different outcome based on whether I put it to sleep or whether I let it fall asleep. I'm going to look at that a bit and see if I find a difference.

Thanks again for your insight.

broc

Post by broc » Mon May 16, 2011 11:39 pm

In any case, finding a simple scenario with repeatable (mis)behavior would be VERY helpful..

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon May 16, 2011 11:43 pm

i just run into the same problem..need to sync live with logic on the same computer.. rewire is screwed.. iac sync is screwed...

cant there be a single session wher this program just works?

broc

Post by broc » Tue May 17, 2011 12:34 am

3phase wrote:i just run into the same problem..need to sync live with logic on the same computer.. rewire is screwed.. iac sync is screwed...
Same problem? Are you saying that the IAC connection doesn't work?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue May 17, 2011 12:35 am

broc wrote:
3phase wrote:i just run into the same problem..need to sync live with logic on the same computer.. rewire is screwed.. iac sync is screwed...
at least not for timecode...

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Tue May 17, 2011 12:53 am

3phase wrote:
broc wrote:
at least not for timecode...
And for me it's the opposite. Remote sync works from Live to the other app. But I'm not getting note data coming back.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue May 17, 2011 12:57 am

UncleAge wrote:[
And for me it's the opposite. Remote sync works from Live to the other app. But I'm not getting note data coming back.

i just try to disable the rewire slaving before i relaunch everything.. do you think iac recieve is down totaly?

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Tue May 17, 2011 1:19 am

3phase wrote:

i just try to disable the rewire slaving before i relaunch everything.. do you think iac recieve is down totaly?
No. The Midi Track In Indicator is blinking. So at some level Live is receiving the incoming midi and it is acknowledging that it is receiving it. Internally it is not sending that data to the track.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue May 17, 2011 1:31 am

UncleAge wrote:
3phase wrote:

No. The Midi Track In Indicator is blinking. So at some level Live is receiving the incoming midi and it is acknowledging that it is receiving it. Internally it is not sending that data to the track.

my timecode is working now after relaunching live... the disabling of the midi slaving worked..

i checked with midi notes..that is not working either here...and i checked with teh virtual ports from midi pipe..bots are ariving but not recieved by live aswell..

i try to relaunch again

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue May 17, 2011 1:40 am

nope..not working..same as on your machine..midi indicator is blinking but nothing arriving at the tracks from any of the virtual midi ports.. hardware ports still work..

so since when is that? havent used live much lately because just thos kind of issues..kills my mood when i allways have to deal with disappeard functionality or crashes... :-/

i am on the lates os x now 10.67 and you?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue May 17, 2011 1:43 am

same with L8.15 ..but no midi indication at all..

so in case you are on apple 10.67 its probably related to that...

hey ableton..one more bug :|