The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Resource Thread

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Resource Thread

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 17, 2011 2:03 pm

NanoStudio 1.2 is live.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue May 17, 2011 5:24 pm

Tarekith wrote:NanoStudio 1.2 is live.
This actually looks really good!

"Features:

* In-app purchase to upgrade 6 to 16 instrument tracks (always unlocked on Windows/OS X)
* Configurable instruments on each track (TRG or Eden), mixer has its own track
* Configurable mixer with volume/pan automation and up to 3 insert effects per bus (input, send or output)
* New effects include compressor, 3 band parametric EQ and Lo-Fi (bitcrush/decimate) setting added to Waveshaper
* Offline processing of samples through an effects chain using the sample editor (with undo)
* Up to 4 sequencer tracks per instrument (up to 64 sequencer tracks in total)
* Retina display support for iPod/iPhone 4
* Supports launching and purchasing other audio copy/paste apps via the Sonoma compatible apps list
* TRG pad copy/paste function for duplicating pad settings and samples
* Sequencer track mute/solo, quantize down to 1/64, quantize event length and end as well as start, view grid without snapping
* Better mixer VU meters and accurate clip detection algorithm for final output stage
* Better 'picker' for choosing controller events in the pattern editor, note events can now be seen when editing controllers
* Eden loads samples ahead of time, so preset changes are ready when they're needed
* Added triplet settings to Eden LFO (this will affect some existing projects and presets)
* Increased instrument polyphony
* New Akai SynthStation25 button operation
* Tempo/time sig available from main menu
* New 'click only during record' setting
* Tidied up UI

Bugfixes:

* Autobeat missing during first count in
* Autobeat recording notes incorrectly if received via MIDI input
* MIDI file import/export improvements, time signature now correct
* Sequencer relocates to next earlier whole bar when recording starts
* TRG samples were played too loud on earlier hardware models (pre-iPhone 3GS)
* Eliminated click when TRG choke group polyphony was exceeded
* Fixed crash when pasting sample files exported from BM2
* Fixed bug where sample audition would sometimes incorrectly play in the file browser"
Professional Shark Jumper.

RajahP

Post by RajahP » Tue May 17, 2011 6:31 pm

EnergyXT for iOS is a music creation and recording app for your iPhone or iPod.

http://www.energy-xt.com/index.php?id=0117

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed May 18, 2011 3:39 pm

New MIDI Controller, looks like a simpler to set version of TouchOSC in a way:

http://epeen.info/manipulant/

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed May 18, 2011 4:02 pm

Nanostudio 1.2 is pretty sweet! 16 tracks totally worth it for 5 dollars.

Is there any sensible way to get a loop to match the song tempo in it?

shimmy

Post by shimmy » Wed May 18, 2011 4:19 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Nanostudio 1.2 is pretty sweet! 16 tracks totally worth it for 5 dollars.

I use the TAP TEMPO in SONG/TOOLS to match a loop,or delay .wav beat.

EDIT: wait, you mean the other way around? You have a SET tempo, and you want to stretch or shorten the loop???

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed May 18, 2011 6:10 pm

shimmy wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:Nanostudio 1.2 is pretty sweet! 16 tracks totally worth it for 5 dollars.

EDIT: wait, you mean the other way around? You have a SET tempo, and you want to stretch or shorten the loop???
Ya, for example in Beatmaker you can chop up a loop in order to sync it but it doesn't look like nanostudio has anything like this. I've noticed they have loops in their demo songs on pads in the TRG-16 but I guess they just matched the song tempo to the looop tempo eh? I suppose you have to pre-process any loops and cut them into samples that you would load individually on the TRG-16?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed May 18, 2011 9:41 pm

If you want to tempo match them, yes. Nano does have a really nice sample editor though.

shimmy

Post by shimmy » Wed May 18, 2011 10:19 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote: I suppose you have to pre-process any loops and cut them into samples that you would load individually on the TRG-16?
I tried for an hour just now attempted to match a loop to a SET tempo. And like Tarekith just mentioned, there's a nice sample editor,which I was trying to chop out some parts to match the loop to the SET tempo.
I JUST LEARNED I CAN DO THIS: After figuring out I can play the CLICK along with the sample and chop it up and RESAMPLE....it now can be done. At first I didn't see there are 2 play buttons.

I also attempted to see if I can lay that sample on the EDEN piano key and tamper with the PITCH and TRANSPOSE and playing it on a lower key to slow the loop down,but, no luck getting it to sound the same at a slower tempo.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed May 18, 2011 11:51 pm

Was just playing around for a bit with it and the sample editor is indeed pretty good. It's too bad they don't have some kind of slice feature though, to be able to send the slices to different pads. Even a chop by 16 divisions would be a start and then you could adjust each one.

Unless I'm missing something, as it is you have to set each selection within the loop, trim it, save to a new file and load in a new pad. Definitely not really worth the effort.

But that's ok, it's not really meant for that kind of thing anyways. It's such a great interface and easy to figure everything out. And now which the 15 tracks and as many TRG's as you want, you can really do anything. It's so amazing having the record button right there in the TRG or in Eden to. You can sample your surroundings and make beats and instruments out of anything very quickly on the go. What an amazing app. And lots of insert effects now too. And with the Retina display it's not half bad an the ipad now at all. In fact, this could very well be the first app I actually do anything serious with.

gavspav

Post by gavspav » Thu May 19, 2011 5:55 am

Is it possible to sample from the songs on your ipad/phone into nanostudio?

I'm wondering if there is an app which can sample from the itunes library on the device and that supports audio copy/paste.

SampleLab can do this from itunes on your computer but I can't find an app that can sample from the device itself (except the mic).

Anyone know if there is a way?

rosti

Post by rosti » Thu May 19, 2011 9:55 am

I just bought nano studio and was really blown away! I mean whoa! It just works! :D
I also got the 16 track feature after making one song in the 6 track mode.
Now I'm just waiting for my summer vacation and some nice moments of making music outdoors :)

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Fri May 20, 2011 4:58 am

I just wish nanostudio had audio tracks so you could at least record scratch vocal takes using the built in mic (or import audio files that you recorded some other way).

DigitalLove

Post by DigitalLove » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:57 pm

How do I connect my iPad 2 to mac through core midi I have the cam kit what else do I need

rcpunker

Post by rcpunker » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:35 pm

dave999z wrote:I just wish nanostudio had audio tracks so you could at least record scratch vocal takes using the built in mic (or import audio files that you recorded some other way).
I'm sure that will happen, I know I would want it too. But, with a vocoder effect !!!