CLIP ENVELOPES WITH ABSOLUTE VALUES---PPLEEEEASE

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Bhang

CLIP ENVELOPES WITH ABSOLUTE VALUES---PPLEEEEASE

Post by Bhang » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:03 am

I know I read somewhere that there's supposed to be some reason why this relative value stuff in the clip view could be useful ---
but the headache it creates---man ---

the time spent trying to finagle plugin automation when in most other applications it's so simple---assign controllers, record---

sure, there's this session view work around, but it doesn't exactly work 100%. And converting 1200hz, 6.3 db into percentages, then checking to see if it all works right---that really kills the flow.

And then, inevitably, you'll get one of those plugins the clip doesn't like at all--like this lowpass filter with -db to sculpt the cutoff slope and +db for resonance---and 0db registers as 100%---so you get some nice cutoff slopes, but can't draw in any resonance at all. You can record it in session view, but when you copy/paste the automation into clip view, it sound nothing like it does in session view. So the whole finagling starts---

AAArggghhh! Just so frustrated. I LOVE this program, but man, this clip automation stuff is the only place that'll consistently waste hours---sometimes just to get something as simple as a filtersweep right.

I believe I speak for may when I plead for this remedy--- I understand the concept that session view is the absolute, and clip is designed to work on top of that---but what's if you're only interested in working with one at a time?

The one thing that really sets Ableton apart from any other music program is the Clip view---it's the most intuitive place to start, to play with bits and Ideas, perform just about any crazy sonic experiments you can dream up, then pulling various fragments out of those sessions and things start taking shape---you get a rough order of clips that work in succession, now you want to work the sounds a bit here and there, and suddenly---pffffff---you've got a slow leak in your flow --- knobs all assigned across crazy effects, everything sounds cool when you play it --- but now you can't get it down ---sure, you can get it down is session view, but we're not ready for session view yet---we're still freakin' out the clips and, well, let me stop and draw in about a 20% to 67% for, wait, what parameter was that? and from what point in time to where?

---Ok, I'll shut up now---but hey, if you know where I'm comin' from, add a thumbs up to this post---like to see how many others are butting their heads up against this

MPGK

Re: CLIP ENVELOPES WITH ABSOLUTE VALUES---PPLEEEEASE

Post by MPGK » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:37 pm

You're definitely not the first to bring this to attention... but I'm still going to +1 all of these threads. Would be so great to have absolute values in Session view.

So: +1

stefski

Post by stefski » Wed May 18, 2011 8:36 pm

+1

Meanwhile I will gladly kill some time reading previous/recent threads on this. Links?

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Thu May 19, 2011 1:26 pm

stefski wrote:+1

Meanwhile I will gladly kill some time reading previous/recent threads on this. Links?
Just search for "automation session view" (without the quotes) in the Feature Wishlist forum.

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Fri May 20, 2011 6:46 pm

Yup. I recently bumped a few threads where something like this was requested / discussed.

Ableton have been very quiet on this issue since Robert H's post on the related issue of LFOs, but honestly I would be quitete surprised if they weren't looking at this for a forthcoming version.

Urgh, phone browser, excuse mistakes.

peter181

Post by peter181 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:59 am

+1

I've probably +1ed and suggested this before too, but a way to bounce or consolidate session view automation into a clip would be great too.

madlab

Post by madlab » Mon May 30, 2011 9:33 am

+ 1
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Mon May 30, 2011 5:27 pm

Bhang wrote:The one thing that really sets Ableton apart from any other music program is the Clip view
This is no longer true. Just get Maschine. It's got an even better session view of its own where you can record realtime automation into clips just fine.