Sound on midi controller sounds different when pressed

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Alibra

Sound on midi controller sounds different when pressed

Post by Alibra » Sun May 22, 2011 4:33 am

Hi All,

I've ran into this issue a few times but i have a sound I really wanna use but sometimes when I press my controller, the sound comes out the way I want and when I press it again, it doesn't sound right (like there is a random setting or something). Has anyone run into this issue before? I can't figure out how to change it. I've attached a screenshot below. Let me know if anyone knows what's going on.

Calvinalibra
APC40 + Push + Apogee Duet 2
Ableton + Maschine
To Self: Learn the equipment you have before you spend a bunch of money on new stuff. New equipment doesn't make you better <-- not working out for me.

outershpongolia

Re: Sound on midi controller sounds different when pressed

Post by outershpongolia » Sun May 22, 2011 4:38 am

Sometimes velocity can be mapped to certain things or an LFO can be modulating something so that each note sounds slightly different from the other..

garyd7

Post by garyd7 » Sun May 22, 2011 4:39 am

Try the "Retrig" button down the bottom right

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sun May 22, 2011 4:53 am

this smells like a midi mapping issue.

Sure you did not mapped something on your controler by mistake?

check

Alibra

Post by Alibra » Tue May 24, 2011 4:42 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I don't think it's a mapping issue, it appears to be more of a setting issue. I've been out of town for the past couple of days, so I'll try out the "Retrig" button when I get home and see if that fixes it.
Calvinalibra
Ableton + Maschine
To Self: Learn the equipment you have before you spend a bunch of money on new stuff. New equipment doesn't make you better <-- not working out for me.

Alibra

Post by Alibra » Wed May 25, 2011 3:08 am

garyd7 wrote:Try the "Retrig" button down the bottom right
Unfortunately, that wasn't it. Any other suggestions? I'll keep trying on my end.
Calvinalibra
Ableton + Maschine

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed May 25, 2011 5:24 am

Look at the first knob Mallet and turn down V "velocity" all the way. It's the one at 55%.
Actually, before that, hit a keyboard key hard each time for a few presses and see if it sounds the same.
Like said before, it can be common for synths to have a lower filter cutoff the lower the velocity is.
Velocity is determined by how hard you press the keys, so if you press they key lightly it should sound more bassy and the harder you hit it the more it will sound brighter, usually.
That's the only Velocity that's turned up in that patch so I'm betting that's it.
ImageImage