A little warning - Dont buy Novation SL Mk2 for ableton...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
moonpie

Re: A little warning - Dont buy Novation SL Mk2 for ableton...

Post by moonpie » Tue May 24, 2011 4:02 pm

thatMcFlyGuy wrote:The remote sl mk2 is a much more complicated controller than the nocturn. You can get that EXACT SAME FUNCTIONALITY with the slmk2 in automap mode as shown in your video. The Nocturn is using a user remote script which is very very limiting. There's no panning, only 2 sends, no track activation, blah blah blah..

Like I posted before, you can do this, but you won't get the display to change the names of the parameters. BUT, it is easier to switch between different automap modes then it is to switch between automap and advanced modes.

I love my remote slmk2, it just took me a while to figure it all out and be happy with it.

If this is true then youve already helped me far far more than support has. "The Nocturn is using a user remote script which is very very limiting. There's no panning, only 2 sends, no track activation, blah blah blah.." Can you still midi assign sends or track pans etc? I use ableton mainly for plugin/fx/sends/looping rather than as a recording daw if you know what I mean - It doesnt bother me at all to lose the track daw function if I can use the functionality of the nocturn. Real shame about losing the naming conventions in the user screen though. Considering I have automap pro youd think they would have seen the possible problems...

moonpie

Post by moonpie » Tue May 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Oh wait, after some reading, no midi feedback... hmm. You just cant win, can you?! Ill have to think about it some more.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue May 24, 2011 5:33 pm

I just bought a new controller I don't know how to use it yet but it's not working and it sucks do not buy it.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:11 pm

I've given up on this thread. :(
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue May 24, 2011 11:47 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
I just bought a new controller I don't know how to use it yet but it's not working and it sucks do not buy it.
Little warning should be: "do not buy Novation SL if - any or all of below:
are intellectually challenged,
have difficulties reading/understanding languages of so called indo - european group of languages,
refuse or are not able to read and/or comprehend any sort of manuals"
All those who claim of using Novation SL with Ableton Live or any other software freely without any programing, glitches and other issues are probably free masons and part of global conspiracy.

fcarroll

Post by fcarroll » Wed May 25, 2011 11:35 am

moonpie wrote:
fcarroll wrote:I have the Novation Zero SL Mkii and I have to say that its the best hardware device I have for Ableton, works perfect! Maybe a problem because of the keyboard???? Works fine on all the automap settings for my vst's also.

Must say that the Zero sl Mkii and the launchpad work great together!
Would you be able to have a quick look at the youtube vid I posted about the nocturn and whether it works exactly that way with the automap screen open - Im trying to build a consensus on what automap (or the limited version) is working for which controllers. Thanks.

Moonpie,

I set mine up ages ago using this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0abuwG63 ... re=related dont know why you are using the nocturn info. Try this link and if it doesnt work I will put a video together to show you mine if you wish, best of luck!
iMac, MacBook Pro, Ableton Live 8 Suite,Ableton PUSH Komplete 8, Logic Studio,Launchpad x 2, iPad (Lemur), M-Audio Keystudio, Akai MPD18, ...

vibes17

Post by vibes17 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:52 pm

Ive been using the novation slmk11 with ableton for over a year. Its all pretty straight forward if you follow the simple steps to set it up right. First off you cant use ableton with automap you must use the pre defined template. i.e take novation out of automap (will be done automatically when you open ableton) if you want to use the wrapped automap plugins turn automap on simples. Even better as previously suggested us groups and macro favorite parameters and leave automap off.

One small issue i get is the pickup time... sometimes it takes a few seconds for ableton to respond to a fader move for example... anyone else get this?? the footer turns yellow and gives a message, a little frustrating when you want to get a level mix quickly...

Jimbabwae

Post by Jimbabwae » Wed May 25, 2011 12:59 pm

One small issue i get is the pickup time... sometimes it takes a few seconds for ableton to respond to a fader move for example... anyone else get this?? the footer turns yellow and gives a message, a little frustrating when you want to get a level mix quickly...
In 'preferences'.. Do you have 'pick-up' set to 'value scaling'? If not, try that.

Cheers,

Jimmy

vibes17

Post by vibes17 » Wed May 25, 2011 4:16 pm

Jimbabwae wrote:
In 'preferences'.. Do you have 'pick-up' set to 'value scaling'? If not, try that.

Cheers,

Jimmy
I will give that a try thanks for the tip :wink: