Audio Delay

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LutherBaker

Audio Delay

Post by LutherBaker » Wed May 25, 2011 5:10 am

I have an external midi keyboard that I am using for several parts in one Live song. I have the midi finished - I simply need to track the keyboard (record the audio).

When I listen to the keyboard directly, the MIDI notes play perfectly with the click track and everything is locked.

So I create an Audio track, forward the keyboard outputs to that track and hit record.

Yes, I know that if I monitor that track while recording - it will have a slight delay ... whatever the buffer size is .... so I don't monitor it.

But the odd thing is, when I play that track back, it is delayed and no longer perfectly locked. This seems odd to me. This implies that I can't sing along with the tracks either?

What could be causing this? and how can I get rid of it. I don't need to monitor the "armed track" in the DAW while recording (which, if I were monitoring, I realize would have a delay) but my audio most definitely need to lock up with the other tracks on simple playback.

Thanks,
-Luther

simonlb

Re: Audio Delay

Post by simonlb » Wed May 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Have you tried either moving the waveform or adjusting the track delay?

perplex

Post by perplex » Wed May 25, 2011 1:57 pm

have you tried adjusting the samples of your track w/ your overall latency amount?

LutherBaker

Post by LutherBaker » Wed May 25, 2011 7:18 pm

> Have you tried either moving the waveform or adjusting the track delay?

Yes, I am able to move to the waveform. "Track Delay" is a new one for me. How do I adjust that?

> have you tried adjusting the samples of your track w/ your overall latency amount?

I have adjust the overall latency amount and the timing gets better when the latency is smaller. The problem for me there is - I've got a ton of thing running including BPM. I'm not sure if I can track an entire, fully blown out sequence like that.

What do you mean "adjust the samples" of my track. Do you mean I should change the rate or do you mean I can move the playback startpoint?

And no doubt, these are some workarounds ... but while I've experienced "monitoring" latency on other systems, I've never actually seen "recording" latency. I mean, I understand that listening to the recording live as it passes through my system is delayed by that buffer .... but is it the case that Live actually delays the 'recording!' signal?

That just doesn't seem correct. That means that everyone everywhere using live is either doing so with a very small buffer - or that everyone is adjusting every audio playback waveform position.

Logic and DP don't do this .... maybe they are compensating somehow. I hoped that I was adjusting the wrong value. Suddenly makes it difficult to mix midi and audio together if I've got to manually confirm that every audio track starts correct and is synced with the other tracks ... no?

I must be missing something. Say it ain't so Live!!! I want to record the vocalist and play it back. I can't believe I need to fiddle with moving audio here and there ... for every background and lead vocalist ... on every sequence in the chain unless I record at near negligible buffer (which for reasons stated above, I can't do easily).

I guess the vocalist could try to sing to just the bassline or something ... that just sounds wonky. It can't be so.

perplex

Post by perplex » Thu May 26, 2011 4:01 am

go to arrangement view, and enable the "D" for delay on the bottom right of the arrangement window.

you will see boxes pop up that say '0.00 MS' .type in the amount of overall latency into the box.

you can find your overall latency under

live>preferences>latency>overall latency.

so if your overall latency is 27.5 ms, you would put in -27.5 in the delay box on your track.

LutherBaker

Post by LutherBaker » Thu May 26, 2011 4:27 am

Got it. Thanks for the help.