live as external midi sequence

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
m-prez

live as external midi sequence

Post by m-prez » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:57 pm

Is live up to the job to sequence hardware samplers and synths?

I'd like to sequence my akai s-1000, zoom phrase sampler and electronic drum computer with live.

It'd be great if could do everything in live :)

Then i can instantly capture the sequenced loops and mangle them up.

Pilgrim

Re: live as external midi sequence

Post by Pilgrim » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:37 am

m-prez wrote:Is live up to the job to sequence hardware samplers and synths?

I'd like to sequence my akai s-1000, zoom phrase sampler and electronic drum computer with live.

It'd be great if could do everything in live :)

Then i can instantly capture the sequenced loops and mangle them up.
M-Prez,
I most often use MIDI to create audio clips and have been tinkering with writing sequences directly in LIVE4.
It is a bit painful since its all piano roll. Easy enough to play in notes (as I usually do so to get a natural feel).
But, editing a sequence is limited to mouse movements, it seems. If I’m wrong, somebody tell me.
"As it is" is probably fine for some types of music (?)
Sure would like a list editor or “edit by numbers” for each note in piano roll, like Sonar and others.
I sure do love the easy routing in LIVE.
Not having to copy MIDI into LIVE would sure save time and effort since, like you, I’m gonna record the audio in LIVE anyway AND would like to store the original MIDI sequence (muted) in the LIVE set.
Hoping LIVE-5 will give us more MIDI editing capabilities.
I have found that clips (audio or MIDI) that are related somehow store real nicely in LIVE sets. Easy to audition by sound etc. group,

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Re: live as external midi sequence

Post by Pilgrim » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:23 am

I must be tired, or something. :D Better answer. . . :idea:
I’m playing MIDI clips in LIVE and sounding external tone generators/samplers NOW.
Works great using MC-909 (sampler), Korg Triton Studio (sampler) and Karma, occasionally Yamaha MU-100r or K2500 (sampler).

Its just creating and editing the MIDI clips that’s kinda awkward.

I use external monitoring mostly but have no latency problems when monitoring through LIVE while listening/recording. (I/O is RME Multiface and digital mixer using ADAT feed).
Pilgrim

m-prez

Post by m-prez » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:33 am

yea, are there any vst MIDI editors with more editing capabilities that you can sync to the tempo of live & save the MIDI sequences within the plugin itself.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:48 am

I use Live on a Powerbook to play a video synth on a desktop Mac.

Sync is tight and it all works great, but as mentioned, Live's forte is not MIDI editing.

Hopefully 5 will improve on that. If not, there are lots of cheap MIDI editors out there.

Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:26 pm

:D :) :lol: 8O :P :idea: :?: :!: :wink: . . . .distribute throughout this post as needed :D

m-prez wrote:yea, are there any vst MIDI editors with more editing capabilities that you can sync to the tempo of live & save the MIDI sequences within the plugin itself.
Good question. . . REALLY GOOD QUESTION !!!

I’m a little out of it on this VSTi issue since I continue to refuse to get in the “upgrade path” of computers powerful enough to run VSTi or DXi along with other stupid-cpu-hog plug-ins (any of them that are “worth their salt” are monster cpu hogs).

. . .and I’m not ready to give up my “weekend toys” (boat, motorhome, motorcycle, etc.) to buy into TDM capabilities (Pro Tools). The upgrade path of that is just as horrible since it runs best on “blank” (fill in your pref.$$$)

To answer somewhat. . . Reason, Project5 and other such usually have “pattern-loop” sequencers that are often hold-overs from analog synth days, AND are often easier to understand and use for non-classical non-track oriented composers. (Loop composer/users). They used to be called “groove sequencers” (or is that a Yamaha only term?) . . and these editors were/are usually (?) accompanied by an intelligent “list” editor. Piano roll editor is(was) an upgrade from these Groove/TD editors, but never ALONE (?).

We. . . must understand (!) that VSTi (or any plug-in or Rewire software) synth, sampler, looper, etc.) MUST be driven by MIDI, which is why Ableton gave LIVE “some” MIDI capabilities.
What’s more. . . the whole world has gone to “clips” audio and MIDI. Most major DAWs call their MIDI organizing screens a “clip” screen (used to be the “track” view, but not much anymore).

We all love “clips” (BTW, that’s a “loop” that can be looped or not.)

After sync, work-flow is very important whether you (YOU) realize it or not. To me, work-flow can be compromised but “project organization” will eat-your-lunch, not today but next year when you want to “recall” an old project.

I mentioned elsewhere that I use LIVE projects to store “favorite” categorized clips, audio and MIDI. Works great, especially for auditioning, etc.

Enter here. . .
hambone1 wrote:I use Live on a Powerbook to play a video synth on a desktop Mac.

Sync is tight and it all works great, but as mentioned, Live's forte is not MIDI editing.

Hopefully 5 will improve on that. If not, there are lots of cheap MIDI editors out there.
Thanks, Hambone, three is enough to squawk about it (You, me and M-Prez, and I know many more HERE.)

Ableton (Robert ! ), I KNOW that You KNEW this was coming!!! (?) LIVE certainly deserves MORE industry awards than available, especially for its cross-genre applications. BUT. . . we, the people are anxious to being depressed ($) over this (those who know enough to be depressed/stressed about it, more coming daily.)

We probably don’t need Logic MIDI capabilities or Sonar/Cakewalk, but how about at least Cakewalk THREE capabilities (yeah, I’m old!)

Go get-um Tigers. . . We’re proud of Ya, that’s why we push (ourselves too).
(The deadline for my upgrade to Sonar 4 Project is in three days) Where should I "put" my money?

Pilgrim

. . .so, it’s a bit disjointed. . these posts. . . THINK between the “blurts”. . .

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:49 pm

Pilgrim

I'm probably going to visit my brother in Florida soon, in case you want your “weekend toys” (boat, motorhome, motorcycle, etc.) exercised...

And maybe chat about long-departed (thank God) Cakewalk on a PC days...

Hambone

Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:57 pm

hambone1 wrote:Pilgrim

I'm probably going to visit my brother in Florida soon, in case you want your “weekend toys” (boat, motorhome, motorcycle, etc.) exercised...

And maybe chat about long-departed (thank God) Cakewalk on a PC days...

Hambone
Let me know !
Fall is best weather and $ for UK visitors. (After H-Season :!: )
Where is your brother?

Pilgrim

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:59 pm

Indiantown, near West Palm Beach.

Not the end of the world, but you see it from there...

funkateer

More MIDI editing for 5 ...

Post by funkateer » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:00 pm

I agree. Better MIDI editiing would be great. As would VSTi capabilities in Reason.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:50 am

yea, are there any vst MIDI editors with more editing capabilities that you can sync to the tempo of live & save the MIDI sequences within the plugin itself.
not sure if this was what you were thinking of, but stepchild and it's replacement, stepbeater almost work properly in live 5.
and theres always reaktor that you can use to build some pretty crazy midi setups in.
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...