Support for Polyphonic Aftertouch

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
lazyriverzz

Re: Support for Polyphonic Aftertouch

Post by lazyriverzz » Thu May 26, 2011 8:34 am

Anyone else got Symphonic Choirs??? Anyone else buy an extra keyboard that has Aftertouch especially just to use Symphonic Choirs? Anyone else REALLY ANNOYED to find that Live says NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! ?? :?
AMD PHENOM 11 x4 940 - WIN 7 - 3ish GIG RAM - FOCUSRITE SAFFIRE - LIVE 8.2.2 Suite-
Anyone Who Insults Me..... Insults Rubbish.....

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Thu May 26, 2011 9:21 am

As well as recording and passing After Touch to instruments they also need to figure out a way of using After Touch as a remote control parameter. So that it can be assigned to any parameter in live just like ordinary Control Changes.

I made this PD patch that can convert Channel After Touch into a control message, hopefully someone might find it useful.

--> http://www.sharehost.co.uk/Live/touch2ctl2.pd
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

hydrogen

Post by hydrogen » Fri May 27, 2011 10:17 pm

+1 for after touche!

parking sun

Post by parking sun » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:41 pm

+1 for poly pressure, esp. now with max 4 live where it would be a really natural way to transmit extra information about notes between devices

redglass

Post by redglass » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:06 pm

+1

The Crystal Apes

Post by The Crystal Apes » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:26 am

+1

It's a shame that such a versatile software does not support polyphonic aftertouch.
Instead more toys are being developed and e.g. MAX users are on hold :(
Stay Different. The Crystal Apes - Indie, Electronic, Pop, Rock

Somewhere on the web: CPU AMD Phenom IIx64 905e 2,5GHz, 4GB
OS Windows 7 Professional 64
DSP EMU 1820, UAD2 Solo
Software Ableton Suite 8.2.1, Reason4, Samplitude 11

xer4111

Post by xer4111 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:26 pm

+1

I especially think it's key to support poly aftertouch being that recent newer synths and midi keyboards have begun to support it, such as the Arturia CS80V software synth, and the InfiniteResponse VAX 77 hardware MIDI keyboard/controller.

I spoke to the people at InfiniteResponse about this - they stated that they had emailed more than once to Ableton after a number of users had asked about using the VAX 77 with Live. I was told that Ableton pretty much ignored their inquiries about it.

So, as someone who has spent well over $1000.00 US on Ableton products since Live version 2, I'd certainly like to have my voice heard in the direction of getting this implemented.

When I recently emailed Ableton support about this, I was told that there are "so many user requests that are given priority....." whereby it was basically implied that this feature is being overlooked because other issues have higher priority in terms of user input.

I do realize that this sort of survey is important. I also know that the "silent survey" is the one where people don't contact you, they just purchase another solution and you never know why.

Most DAWs and MIDI sequencers have supported polyphonic aftertouch since their early beginnings. The fact that Live doesn't is a bit of a loud message that the userbase doesn't find much use for it. So be it.

I am now adding my vote, with all the above taken into account. I hope it will help this feature "rise to the top" in terms of developer priorities.

Rex Perry
Multimedia Artist/Producer
Perry Multimedia Inc.

Casual Beats

Post by Casual Beats » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:45 pm

xer4111 wrote: I am now adding my vote, with all the above taken into account. I hope it will help this feature "rise to the top" in terms of developer priorities.
agreed. I will add my vote again. People are still very much interested in having this feature implemented.

prebentious

Post by prebentious » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:49 pm

+1000000

xer4111

Post by xer4111 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:29 am

In view of the fact that 8.4 is in heavy beta development, I wanted to bump this up to the top and again "push" this topic - it would be a very appropriate time to add polyphonic aftertouch support to the 64bit update of Live. Newer computers will thus be able to take better advantage of the added memory/CPU resources, and since Arturia CS80v KICKS ASS with polyphonic aftertouch, I'm really hoping I can make full use of this program with my VAX 77, both as a composition tool and in performance.

Also, many other synths support poly-aftertouch even though it's not a performance feature, in other words, you can compose tracks and add effects on a per-note basis using PA - this has been going on for years in sequencers and DAWs and has been used that way even though most MIDI controllers don't support it - think track automation on a per note basis - how to "pull out" a note or just add vibrato to one note of a chord, etc.

C'mon guys - just work it out. It's part of a specification that's been established for years and years....

Okay - enough taunting the developers. I LOVE Ableton Live or I wouldn't be putting so much energy into getting this feature implemented. "nuff said...."

Rex Perry
Perry Multimedia Inc

The Crystal Apes

Post by The Crystal Apes » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:49 am

We really like Ableton, too here at The Crystal Apes
BUT customers go there where the product meets theier needs:
Bitwig developers told me that PA will be implemented at a very early stage of the final release.
So come on Ableton, please don't let the people change so easily.

DSP EMU 1820, UAD2 Solo

The Crystal Apes

Post by The Crystal Apes » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:35 pm

The Crystal Apes wrote:We really like Ableton, too here at The Crystal Apes
BUT customers go there where the product meets theier needs:
Bitwig developers told me that PA will be implemented at a very early stage of the final release.
So come on Ableton, please don't let the people change so easily.
I correct a bit - this is what the guys wrote to me:
"i can't confirm 100% that it will be in 1.0, but given the per note automation etc. it would absolutely make sense to support it right from the start. We will see what we can do!"

At least that's a pretty positive response to an existing problem ^^

DSP EMU 1820, UAD2 Solo

Casual Beats

Post by Casual Beats » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:05 pm

xer4111 wrote:Okay - enough taunting the developers. I LOVE Ableton Live or I wouldn't be putting so much energy into getting this feature implemented. "nuff said...."

Rex Perry
Perry Multimedia Inc
Well put! That's the reason I am still here, 5 years after I started this thread, hoping this feature will still be implemented.
We love ya Abes so please give us PA!

cb_mainz

Post by cb_mainz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:13 am

Now with the new Midi Out function in Animoog sending Polyphonic Aftertouch, it would be very nice if Live could deal with it. :D

+1

Cheers
Christopher
Ableton Live 9 and Push :: soundcloud :: tumblr :: twitter :: app.net

xer4111

Post by xer4111 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:04 pm

Wow - yes, definitely - the Animoog kicks ass And the implementation of poly aftertouch is brilliant.

Using multi-touch to play a chord and then drag across the keys to change the timbre - brilliant! And MIDI out means you could use this as a MIDI controller for LIVE!!!

I believe this is also part of the performance capabilities of Garageband for iPad - and I think they just started allowing MIDI out in the latest version.

To the Ableton development team - times are changing. The digital realm is "playing up" to artistic standards in a whole new way, and the tablet "multi-touch" environment DOES support polyphonic aftertouch.

So there's another incentive for you to advance into this feature before your competition takes you to the wall...

I'm pumped about the 64bit support that's now in beta - I watch the forum everyday for progress - I see you have your hands full, but this is a feature that needs to be included in the process.

Rex Perry
Perry Multimedia Inc