a very useful MIDI tip

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
mojofunk

Re: a very useful MIDI tip

Post by mojofunk » Sun May 29, 2011 12:46 pm

Yeah, the blue hand rules. Someone famous once taught me this trick - if you have something that you don't want to have the blue hand interfering with (looper for example), you can put that in a rack without macros so the knobs and blue hand focus wont accidentally disturb it.

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Sun May 29, 2011 8:48 pm

hx man, i will try it tomorrow but it seems to be nice :D

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Mon May 30, 2011 4:16 pm

big thx! i tried it and it works very well :D now i can use my mpk 49 encoders easily ;D

mistymani

Post by mistymani » Tue May 31, 2011 1:24 pm

Nice post i will definitely try tmrw and will see whether it works....

msteele

Post by msteele » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:48 pm

Would somebody be willing to copy and paste the instructions from the facebook group into the thread for those of us that don't have an account (probably just me) :lol:

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:22 pm

very nice one, thanks!
i just tested it with my Apogee Duet. it works wonderful, and very easy!

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:35 am

funken wrote:
33tetragammon wrote:very nice one, thanks!
i just tested it with my Apogee Duet. it works wonderful, and very easy!
I assume you have a midi controller as well then, the Duet is just an interface?
Duet's big volume knob can also send midi cc messages (up to four, switchable by pushing it).

jonbongjovi

Post by jonbongjovi » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:41 am

I'm trying to get this to work with my oxygen8 25 keyboard.. but for some reason only certain knobs seem to work and not the play/stop buttons or the slider? Is there some way i can get a look at config.txt file for the oxygen?

jonbongjovi

Post by jonbongjovi » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:28 am

How do I find out the global channel of my controller?

I've tried midi mapping my knobs and noting down the CC numbers to put into the script txt file but the CC value seems to change?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:45 am

funken wrote:Important reminder

See what the global channel is on your controller and in the script edit Global Channel to one less, eg you keyboard says 14 so you write 13 in the script.
I just tried this script and this was exactly my issue. Works a treat.

Other thing I had to do was to set the MIDI Control Surface IN/OUT ports. Tested and working with touchOSC.

EDIT: Just to add to this, the BANKBUTTON commands allow you to switch the 8 controls through banks of a controls in the Configure editor. Bank 1 controls 1-8, Bank 2 = 9-16 and so on. The BANKNEXT\PREVIOUS allow you to switch through the banks. Using touchOSC its possible to create an LED to show which bank you are in and use NEXT/PREV buttons to cycle through banks of controls with no need for MIDI mapping or adding a macro group.

Now, if I could just figure out how to get names back to the iPad that would be something.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:38 pm

Q1: do you change the midi in/out names to the name ableton gives the device in its midi prefs? Ie: USB Audio Device (2).

...Or the name of the controller itself? -In device manager my PC lists all my kit (except for the launchpad) simply as USB Audio Device's - though it does tell you what they are when you look in preferences.

Q2: If you use a different global midi to 01 do you need to keep the 'dash' in the number (ie: -13)?

--------------------------------

Trying to set up my MK461c keyboard to use the first 8 rotaries on the the 8 rack macros:

- set the global channel to 13 (14)
- renamed midi in/out to 'USB Audio Device (2)' as that's what live calls it.
- took note of the cc's that the rotaries were using and added them to the encoders in the script (do I leave the dashes here or just type the numbers?)

no worky :(.

anything ive done an obvious clanger? Too many devices maybes?

?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:38 pm

I havve that exact same keyboard, tho I don't use the controls, just the keys. There is a "driver" you can get from the m-audio site in the legacy area (pm me if you can't find it). Its not required for the keyboard to work but it does label the USB midi driver as the keyboard making things a little easier.

I named the in and out ports after the USB name of the device in the file and then also selected those ports as the in and out for the control surface slot. For the mk461c you probably don't need to set the midi out port as it doesn't have feedback.

Do the midi indicators in the top right flicker when you use the controls? There is one that shows general midi coming in and one that shows control surface data coming in. The one on the very right is midi, the one on the more left is control surface.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:14 pm

Cheers JM,

Keyboard works fine, all midi mappable - no controll surface data though. - Been using it with standard XP drivers most of the time. I can remember d-loading the m-audio drivers a couple of years back though as it works fine without I never bothered using them again - simply plug-played it.

The disc that came with the kybrd wont load once you've let the XP drivers install as it says that the XP drivers are all that it needs... Think I'll try the online drivers tonight and see what happens...

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=sup ... 1#download

Cheers again mate...will let you know how i get on.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Yeah, you can name the folder anything you want.

I tend to make multiple scripts for single controllers. Then I can lock one row of knobs to something temporarily, while the other is still free to bounce around haha.

Or if something already has a script designed for it (Maschine for instance), yet does not make use of the macros, I make one or two scripts for that.

My least favorite, is making a script for Automap on the Launchpad... I've tried both 'ranges' via the buttons, and incremental, but it is just a pain in the ass overall :/

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:12 pm

Well, if I have 16 knobs. I don't have to swap. I just make two folders, each with unique names, and unique CC settings. As long as I select the same input/output for both, it works out.