which monitors would you choose

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
catalyst

Re: which monitors would you choose

Post by catalyst » Sat May 28, 2011 1:18 pm

Just replied to your PM mate, gimme a buzz. cheers :)

Hei©o

Post by Hei©o » Sat May 28, 2011 1:51 pm

Was in the same dilemma 4 months ago, bought Adam A7X and i`m still amazed by the sound clarity.
I was comparing them A/B with BM5A and liked the Adams more. Better bass response and overall frequency range, and in my opinion, more crystal sound.

If you decide for BM5A, search for BM5A MK2.

cheers!

martin808

Post by martin808 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:00 pm

bought the 8020's from catalyst. It was too good a price and too handy not to.

Been playing around with them for a few hours now and I can't believe the difference to what I've been used to. the first thing that strikes me is the stereo imaging. I can actually place where sounds are in the mix. Before it sounded much more muddled. Everything sounds much flatter now as well. It kind of sounds as if my old monitors were adding some kind of reverb in the midrange and now it's gone. The bass in my old monitors must have been pretty hyped as well. I feel a lot more confident in using fx and hearing the subtle differences when twiddling about.

Unbelievably loud and clear for their size but they are definitely lacking in bass. I've played a few tracks I know well and some sub basslines are only vaguely audible. Going to buy the 5040a sub next week with the money I saved.

cheers catalyst for the good sale. was good chatting with you too.

invol

Post by invol » Mon May 30, 2011 4:05 am

reeloy wrote:...best of three...those three?

Dynaudio....no doubt.

But also give the first neumann monitors a try in the listening booth....kh120....unbelievable truthful...those can become the next standard...

Ditto.

reeloy

Post by reeloy » Mon May 30, 2011 9:45 am

....once they got their first real studiomonitor, they say all the same.... :wink:

I love happy endings....

Hei©o

Post by Hei©o » Mon May 30, 2011 12:16 pm

reeloy wrote:....once they got their first real studiomonitor, they say all the same.... :wink:

I love happy endings....
hahaha! true....even i wish i could have those Genelecs 1032A now, but to much €€€€ for me right now...

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:49 pm

henke wrote:Some years ago I would have said Genelec! But I figured out that mixes done on the Dynaudio speakers tend to sound good on a lot of systems, which is not always the case with the Genelecs. I heard the BM5a monitors A/B with 100.000 EUR Strauss mastering speakers and I was surprised how well the sound translated between those two. The only 'issue' with the Dynaudios is that they cannot handle high volumes or a lot of bass. But for a room of your size and the small listening distance you should do fairly well with them.

Your room has a nicely uneven geometry, you might have good luck and it already sounds quite good. if you have too many reverb on the mid/high range you try to use thick curtains on the walls.

Robert
Just curios...I saw in a slices video that you use gelenecs (8040?), have you switched because of that? Or do you still have a good opinion on the genelecs and just see the dynaudio as an alternative?

mickybeautron

Post by mickybeautron » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:02 pm

I just got some A5x's. I'm amAzed. They are clear, revealing, tight, and balanced. I was afraid they would be lacking in the bass, as i write acid house type shit, but in my room (4m x 3m) they are so perfectly balanced.
I had narrowed it down to Krk rp6's and Adam A5x. I A/b'd them in the shops room with a range of tunes. The krk's added bass made the a5x's seem lacking in bass, but i went with them in the end for their added clarity which I felt was more important. The krk's seemed a bit more like hifi speakers to me. Sounded nice, quite clear, quite forgiving too, but I come from years of using muddy speakers where i couldnt hear what i was doing properly so the a5x's it was.
When i set them up in my small room there was no bass lacking for me. Just a perfectly even sound, amazing stereo field, with a really clear tight bass.
I'm over the moon with them.
for reals.
MacBook Pro 13" i5 - 8gb DDR3 - Dual ssd - Live 9 - Apogee Duet - Adam A5x

http://www.soundcloud.com/pidgeo

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:14 pm

^ You should have gone for the A7X. They come with a secret built-in sub woofer and killer clarity.

mickybeautron

Post by mickybeautron » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:28 pm

Yea I'd love to have but I could nay afford em.
Tbh on my way home with them I was thinking I might be bringing them back to get the a7x's, after the apparent lack of bass in the shop, but my room is smaller than the shops room and they just sound awesome. There is more bass than i thought there would be, its so clear too. They're perfect for my setup. No gonna bring em back now.
MacBook Pro 13" i5 - 8gb DDR3 - Dual ssd - Live 9 - Apogee Duet - Adam A5x

http://www.soundcloud.com/pidgeo

ark

Post by ark » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:29 pm

martin808 wrote:Going to buy the 5040a sub next week with the money I saved.
If you can swing it, you might try for the 7050B, which has a frequency response that is designed to match the 8020A.

newboss

Post by newboss » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:59 am

i would choose dynaudio bm6a .. maybe second hand

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:27 am

Tarekith wrote:Might want to look into the Focal CMS line too, I think they're pretty good in that price range.
I'll back this up, just spent the last couple months testing out monitors and went with Focal CMS 65's. I'm happy, so far I'm getting better results than before and they have some basic room adjustment oriented EQ filtering on the back. I'm a fan!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:07 am

I think in a couple more years a lot of people will have these in their sights. They've been making speakers for a long time, but only recently seem to be getting attention in the pro audio realm. Just out of curiosity, did you find a dealer local that had these in stock? I was just curious if places like GC and the like were stocking them in stores now....

jamief

Post by jamief » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:18 am

Genelec !